starting strength gym
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tzanghi's SS log

Default Tzanghi's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't keep a log currently, so I figure this will be a good place to track my progress, and people can comment on my shit whenever. I'm currently running a modification of SS with some accessory exercises and some added running. The routine looks like this

Workout A
    Squat-3x5
    Press-3x5
    Deadlift-1x5; 1x1
    Chin-ups-3x10
    Reverse Wrist Curls-2x5

Workout B
    Squat-3x5
    Bench-3x5
    Power Clean-5x3
    Dips-3x10
    Calf-Raises-3x5
    Pull-ups-3x10

After workouts I walk at an incline and jog on and off for about 30 mins. On off-days in between the workouts I run 3.5 miles. Weekends I take completely off.

Current Working Weights and Stats
    Squat-245
    Deadlift-255
    Press-100
    Bench-170
    Power Clean-105
    Chin-ups-BW
    Pull-ups-BW-25

6'0"; 170 lbs; 22 years old

I'm doing workout A tomorrow, and I've been eating like a beast recently, so I should see gains across the board. I've reset pretty much everything since I came back from a vacation like 3 weeks ago, but I'm working back up. I normally do LeanGains, but I've been either on vacation or hosting someone who's on vacation for the past 3-4 weeks so my diet is kind of whimsical right now. This also means that I normally train fasted, having some whey mixed with water before and after the workout until I break my fast. I'm very into nutrition so I may post bits about my diet on here as well.

Usually, my caloric intake is as follows

Workout days: 4100 Calories, eating from 2-10 p.m.
    Off days: 1900 Calories, eating from 2-10 p.m.

I'll update either tomorrow or Sunday with how tomorrow's workout goes.

If you aren't eating a significant calorie surplus, you aren't doing the program.

Likewise, do you have a good reason to add 30 min jogging? It's likely to interfere with recovery, and make you stall prematurely. OTOH, you may have a good reason for including it, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    If you aren't eating a significant calorie surplus, you aren't doing the program.

Likewise, do you have a good reason to add 30 min jogging? It's likely to interfere with recovery, and make you stall prematurely. OTOH, you may have a good reason for including it, I don't know.
    Yea, that's one of the main reasons I call it a modified version of SS. I know it's not the program, but I'm mirroring the exercise routine from the book. The jogging is for cardiovascular health and conditioning. I have thought about taking it out, but I would rather take longer to get strong and maintain health. It can be a real pain in the ass for recovery. Is there anything better to do for CV Health that won't hurt recovery so much?

Today was a good lift.

Squats-3x5x255 These felt a little heavy, however I didn't keep my knees out, so I'm likely going to stick with this weight and try to get the knees out before I move up.

Press-3x5x105 These felt pretty good for the most part. Gonna move up next time.

Deadlift-1x5x265; 2x1x285 These felt pretty good. My grip is definitely progressing as I was able to do 3 of the 5 reps on the first set with a front grip before switching to alternating grip. The two singles were kinda tough, the bar got away from my shins.

Chin-ups-1x9;8;7 at BW These were tougher than normal. I haven't been able to progress on chins yet, and today I switched to using an actual bar by putting it in the squat rack on the highest setting. My gym has no real pull up bars so I have to make due. Hopefully I'll progress on these next time.

Tried to tone down the intensity of the cardio and did mostly inclined walking with like 6 minutes of running. My legs feel pretty good now(7 hours post workout). Usually I feel some sort of soreness, but I feel great now. Hopefully I'll stay strong for Monday's workout. I'll be eating a lot tonight and tomorrow since tomorrow's Easter, so I shouldn't have any problems there.

Today's workout seemed pretty good, but I don't know what to make sense of the fact that I'm not too sore in the legs right now.

Squats-3x5x255 These didn't feel that hard, but my knees were a little wobbly at the bottom again. I'm gonna add 10 lbs for the next workout and see if I get some soreness from that. I can't tell whether my form is off such that I'm not fully engaging my hamstrings or that I just need to move up in weight. I guess I'll see on Wednesday. I have a video of my second set, I'll post here when it's done uploading.

Bench-3x5x165 This felt pretty easy too. Since changing to narrow grip, bench has been easier. Gonna bump up 5 lbs next time.

Power Cleans-2x3x105; 2x3x115; 1x3x105 I couldn't tell if I was ready to move up, the first two sets felt kinda easy though, so I tried moving up. It doesn't feel like I'm fully engaging my traps so I'm gonna stick with one of these weights again on Friday.

Dips-2x10xBW+15; 1x9xBW+15 These weren't too bad, but my form felt a little off on the first set. Corrected it for my last two sets, but couldn't get up that last rep. Will stick with this weight for next workout.

Pull-ups-1x5xBW

Don't know if the lack of soreness in the legs is because the weight is too light or the form is off. Gotta figure this out.

You are not after soreness. It comes and goes of it's own volition.

Enjoy it's absence while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post

Thanks for the tip. I feel a tiny bit of soreness today when I really work my hamstring, so I'm feeling a little better. Gonna bump up to 275 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post

I also find that when I start eating close to enough, soreness is extremely subdued. A bodybuilding buddy of mine told me that carbs will alleviate soreness more than anything and my Easter sure was filled with those. Not sure how true his statement is, but it came to mind here.

Good job on your progress as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisstophere View Post
    I also find that when I start eating close to enough, soreness is extremely subdued. A bodybuilding buddy of mine told me that carbs will alleviate soreness more than anything and my Easter sure was filled with those. Not sure how true his statement is, but it came to mind here.

Good job on your progress as well.
    Thanks, man. Yea I definitely had a carb-filled Easter, so maybe that's what has been doing it. I limited calorie intake to 1900 today, I'll see how I fare tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    Today felt pretty good. Really feel like I'm starting to challenge myself.

Squats-2x5x265; 1x4x265 These felt tough, but not so much heavy. When I was warming up, 235 felt heavy, so I thought this would be a pain in the ass, but it wasn't too bad. Form definitely wasn't spot on: wobbly knees and a little change in back angle on the ascent. Will definitely stick with 265 'til I hit it with good form. Not that sore afterwards, but my knees feel a little light, it's weird.

Press-2x5x110; 1x4x110 These really taxed my upper back and shoulders. Really enjoyed this one today, but didn't try that last rep cause I knew I was gonna stall. I'll stick with 110 for another round.

DeadLift-1x5x275; 1x1x290(PR) These felt great, I can't believe it. Really hit well with form other than failing to drag the bar on my shins. Did not touch and go, but had no problem maintaining a safe lower back position. Boost.

Chin-Ups-1x10; 1x9; 1x7 Still can't progress on these, and I can't tell why. Made sure I had adequate rest time and everything. I did finally figure out an adequate set up for these though, as my gym has no real pull-up bar. Hopefully that's the only issue.

Limited calories to 1900 yesterday and was a little sore in the legs from running, but it worked out alright. I was down some weight from the weekend surprisingly. Will be eating pretty well tonight. Been sipping on some whey+water throughout the morning. Breaking my fast with a nice Italian Hoagie for lunch. Hopefully it'll be enough to bump me up in those missed reps.

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast