starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and squat form check

Default Deadlift and squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. Would you be so kind to review my squat and deadlift technique?
    Stats:
    BW: 74 kg / 163 lbs
    Squat 1RM: 135 kg / 297 lbs
    Deadlift 1RM: 140 kg / 308 lbs
    In the videos:
    Squat: 77.5 kg / 170 lbs x5 (last of 5 sets)
    Deadlift 80 kg / 176 lbs x5

Squat:

Deadlift:

Thank you in advance.

Both pretty good.

O the deadlifts, you need some more weight. Also try to keep the bar against your legs and dont lift your back till you get the bar to your knee. When its heavier it will be easier to do right, you should "squeeze" out each rep.

Thank you for the reply. I do tuck my ass in at the bottom of the squat; is this going to be a problem? I do have some small pain in the lower back, however, I don't know if this is from squatting, deadlifting, pressing, excessive sitting, or just 'old' pain from the time when I did not do the lifts with decent form.

your "ass tucking in" is not a problem. Your low back is still in good extension at the bottom. Some people might say that you begin with an excessively arched back, but that is hard to judge in person, let alone from this video.

You might also want to let you knees break at the same time as your hips do at the beginning of each squat. Not too much of a problem, but you may aswell fix it.

Just to get this straight:the ass tucking in ("butt wink") is fine? I'm just curious because I do it too, unintentionally.

The premature breaking of the hip is a problem that I am aware of, though it was a lot bigger problem before. Fixing it should not be much of a problem.

It's nice to know that my technique is decent, and hopefully sufficient, to support bigger loads on the bar without injuries. Off topic I would also like to ask about possible gains during the three upcoming months, as I am trying to set a goal for the summer (1. June). My current lifts are around
    Squat 135 kg / 300 lbs 1RM and 100 kg / 220 lbs 5x5
    Deadlift 145 kg / 320 lbs 1RM and 120 kg / 264 lbs 1x5
    +- 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs
    do you think a 120 kg / 264 lbs 5x5 Squat and a 135 kg / 300 lbs 1x5 Deadlift is a realistic goal in three months using Stronglifts 5x5/3x5/1x5 (it's quite alike" The Original Starting Strength Novice Program" from the FAQ)?

I am aware of the fact that this is a question next to impossible to answer, but do you have any estimates? The program itself is based upon 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs increases every workout; 3 workouts a weak. After 3 failed attempts at a given lift, one shall deload 10 %. After 2 deloads on a lift (squat, bench press, press or barbell rows), and one fails again, one shall switch to 3x5, and after 2 deloads new deloads switch to 1x5.

EDIT: Maybe Madcow or 5/3/1 would be a better choice than to continue with Stronglifts (adding 2.5 kg every workout instead of every week)?
    Last edited by todda7; 04-09-2012 at 08:21 AM.

just do the math mate. I know on SS, you gain ~60lbs/month to your squat (5/workout, 15/week). just do the math and eat to support the gains you want

starting strength coach development program
    I am aware of the math, what I am wondering about is the possibility of gaining that certain amount in that certain time. While the program adds 2.5 kg every workout, this is of no help if I have to deload every 3 workouts or so. To reformulate and concentrate my question: a) Is the aforementioned gain unrealistic - unlikely - realistic - very realistic (given of course that I actually train 3x/week with plenty of sleep and food) b) Do you think I would progress faster with SL 5x5/3x5/1x5, 5/3/1 or Madcow as I now qualifies as a low intermediate lifter?