starting strength gym

Thread: Poor Squat form, help needed!

Default Poor Squat form, help needed!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been lifting again for around 6-7 weeks after a good two years off. Squatting 80kg but noticing some lower back soreness. Dropped the weight to 60kg for this video'd set and noticed I've picked up some really poor form.

Seems to be the obvious 'buttwink', curving my back when i'm below para. The obvious fix is to stop the squat before I curve, but any cues/advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOew...ature=youtu.be

Try to sit back a little bit more, honestly I don' see anything glaringly wrong with your squat. Besides the fact that you need to look down.

Your knees aren't shifting forward, hips and back moving at same rate, knees don't seem to be collapsing in,

Thanks for your feedback Matt.

I find my legs are fine, even at higher weights I have no problems keeping the knees out.

Looking at the vid i felt my back was just the wrong side of straight at around, for example, 00:41 and 00:47. I assumed this was what was leading to the lower back soreness immediately after the sets.

I've noticed a touch of anterior tilt in my pelvis too which i need to start working on correcting, and assumed it was all part of the same thing.

Sitting back a touch more, showing the chest, might make it that touch more comfortable.

Would you recommend looking down even on the high bar squat?

I didn't even realize you were high barring, my whole analysis was geared towards low bar, and I know jack shit about high bar

I can't see where your bar is sitting but I may suggest that when you lift the bar you drop it one-or-two notches lower which will allow you to get under the bar. (yes, I did read you are high barring)
    You also dive-bomb the squat...and go way to low. I still haven't worked out the 'bounce' but from what the SS book shows, if you go to low you will take the hamstrings out of the equation.
    It is funny how a low weight will let you do that but very quickly your lifts will halt if you try the same technique with slightly higher weights.
    Maybe get your form right now before you look at progressing?

Opps..your hands...you put your hands at the extreme of the bar. If you want to go low-bar you need to get your hands in, shoulders back, elbows up...it is hard to see what you are doing with the bar against a black top on that angle.

And I gotta ask..only because I am over 40 (which ain't really that old), but why do you squat with your hood up?
    Seriously, I'm only taking the piss just a tiny-little-bit =)

Do you have the book(s)?
    Last edited by toonttm; 04-12-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Looks ok to me, good high bar squats. Using a belt may help with lower back soreness.

Thanks all.

toonttm - I squat with the hood up because if it's down then there'll be an extra thick layer of uneven fabric between me and the bar which is uncomfortable/gets in the way of feeling that the bar is sitting right. Don't worry, I don't walk around the gym like that for my entire workout.

Squatting as low as I do has always felt natural. I was under the impression that the high bar squat allows a much deeper squat than the low bar.

I do agree that the lowering of the squat is perhaps a bit fast, i'll try to control it more. Hopefully adding that to sitting back a bit more will sort it out.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe try doing some pause squats and really focus on not getting that butt wink? I've never dealt with the issue so I don't have first hand experience.