starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all -

I'd like a critique if you've got the time.

About a 45 degree angle:

90 degree angle:

Squatting 275. Supposed to be set of 5 but pussed out.

Thanks,
    J

NEW VIDEOS: http://startingstrength.com/resource...284#post432284
    Last edited by JTA762; 04-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Depth is good. Your knees, however, are collapsing on the ascent, causing your hips to shoot backwards and your back angle to get closer to horizontal - putting a lot of stress on your lower back. Try keeping your knees stable and shoved out wide, and see what happens to your hips and back angle.

Your wrists are under the bar...elbow problems may occur...and I wonder if the bar is to high? no doubt somebody with a better eye will jump in and say so, I just like looking at squats so I can try and get my own form correct =)
    [just noticed the way you come under the bar, you are nearly vertical]

By the way, nice looking gym!

Your 2nd video, look at your left foot when you come up from the first rep, and if you also look at the bar position at 0:26 it looks well forward of the center of your foot...could also be a camera angle thing?
    (just what I'm seeing, could be entirely wrong)

I think your head position looks good...
    Last edited by toonttm; 04-12-2012 at 04:29 AM.

I'll focus on keeping the knees out and fixed and hand placement on the bar.

Toonttm,
    Think if I fixed my knee problem, the bar position issue would resolve itself, or is there something else to be mindful of?

Bump for some more critiques on new videos

New videos

Did 5x5 with 225. Light enough to do a bunch, but heavy enough to be somewhat difficult. Attempted to be mindful of the wrist and knees caving in. 4th and 5th video are from 90 degree angles the rest are about 45 degrees.

The 4th video, after the 2nd rep, I noticed the weights spinning, so I paused until they stopped and attempted to adjust technique. Minimized the spinning, but didn't stop it completely.

The last set I can see I'm getting tired and not breaking parallel.

"warm-up" set of 3 reps @ 225 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4yeb_jdbPk

Last edited by JTA762; 04-14-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Editing your first post isn't very helpful for other people who want to learn from these technique threads - it makes it confusing to see how your technique is progressing. You're better off posting the new videos in a reply to keep the chronology intact.

Your knees look more stable in the new videos and your hips aren't shooting backwards, but, as you mentioned, you now need to get your depth right. You're also tilting your pelvis (sticking your butt out) at the top of the lift - you should just finish the squat by standing up straighter with a neutral pelvis.

Like so?

My reasoning for doing that was to tighten up the back muscles; chest up tightens the upper back, and (it feels like) pelvis back tightens the lower back. Is this why I've got such bad buttwink?

That diagram is correct from the hips down. Of course, you'll lean forward somewhat to keep the bar over your midfoot. "Chest up" is achieved by keeping your thoracic spine extended - pulling your shoulders back and driving your elbows up. You can extend your thoracic spine while keeping your pelvis in neutral - I only mean at the very top of the squat though. Sticking your butt out is fine for the rest of the squat.

I didn't see any buttwink in your videos, not that buttwink is anything to worry about. You stand up straighter in the first videos you posted, that's what it should look like.
    Last edited by bamzi; 04-15-2012 at 02:28 AM.

hand position looks better in the second video (no longer under the bar)

starting strength coach development program
    Alright guys, last form check I'll do unless it's still pretty fucked up

Set 2:

Set 3:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast