starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts: back rounding?

Default Deadlifts: back rounding?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read lots on how to keep the back in extension, some mental cues, squeezing the chest up and whatnot but I think as soon as I start the pull it comes unlocked? It might just be for a few reps but I think some impartial viewers would be better.

Here's my last set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cSu1...ature=youtu.be
    starts at 0:20

My back's rounding for the later reps isn't it? Is it my lower back? How do I solve this and also why am I still increasing the weight every workout with this going on?

Cheers

You don't look to get proper lumbar extension when you set up and your upper back looks loose. Your back gets to extension at the top, which is giving resulting in back flexion. Remember that Rippetoe says something like everything else can go wrong in the deadlift and you're going to be safe so long as you aren't changing your back under load. There are a multiple reasons that a rounded back are not good (unless you're training for such a thing), but allowing your spine to shift under load is going to get you hurt.

Your shoulders are in a completely different position (much farther forward of the bar) from when you set up to when you begin the pull. It looks like you're trying to yank the bar off the floor by rocking your body back at the start.

If you were getting set up properly before and it's become an issue over time you need to be more deliberate about your setup. It looks like you're rushing it. I'm really guilty of this and I get called on it a lot (particularly in the clean).
    Last edited by poppunk; 04-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
    you need to be more deliberate about your setup. It looks like you're rushing it.
    ^this.

A DL does not use momentum to break the bar off the ground.
    I recommend you set your start position for each rep, including and especially your back, and wait 2 beats before starting the rep. This will remove the temptation to try to "rip" the bar off the ground, which is a bad mindset to get in when DLing.

In addition you should consider not using a belt. It will be easier for you to learn the correct start position and your lower back will get stronger faster once you are doing it correctly.

Doesn't look like you are too weak to hold your spine extended, you just don't know how.
    The bar speed is pretty high, so if you learn how to do it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Have you watched the "lower back control" video on the SS-website?

Thanks for the replies

The rocking back thing isn't intentional I think I might just be starting with hips too high or something. I'll try and get my start position sorted in warm ups on Wednesday.

Spar, I guess thinking about squeezing the bar up will help?

Anyone know why my back un-sets as soon as the bar comes off the ground? How do you keep it from doing that?

DW, I have seen that video but I'll go have another look, thanks. Last I remember the cue was 'dick between your knees' which I find is good for when you're standing up but if you're bending over I don't think that would help me as much. I know pushing hips back is what's supposed to do it in this case but I can't maintain the extension when the bar comes off the ground

I looked for threads you started to get an idea of what your overall situation is. I found this one you started almost 10 months ago. If you watch your deadlift, you see the same problem but it's less exaggerated. TBone pointed out that you were jerking the bar off the floor then and you're still doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
    I looked for threads you started to get an idea of what your overall situation is. I found this one you started almost 10 months ago. If you watch your deadlift, you see the same problem but it's less exaggerated. TBone pointed out that you were jerking the bar off the floor then and you're still doing it.
    Wow that's a hella old thread. I actually remembered that deadlift form check when I made this one because I remember my back rounding as soon as the lift starts. BUT, I wasn't even trying to set my back for those deadlifts, I just pulled off the floor. Now I'm really trying to squeeze up before I lift and the same shit is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Spar, I guess thinking about squeezing the bar up will help?
    It might help to think about starting the rep by pushing the ground down instead of pulling the bar up.

Anyone know why my back un-sets as soon as the bar comes off the ground?
    It does that because you allow it to do so.

How do you keep it from doing that?
    You keep it from doing that by not doing that.

Is there a weight, even a stupid light one, at which you can do the movement without losing extension?

If so, take it back to that weight and do not allow yourself to lose back extension, ever, as you work your way back up. If you fail the lift, you fail with your back in good extension. Don't permit yourself to do any ugly reps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    It might help to think about starting the rep by pushing the ground down instead of pulling the bar up.

It does that because you allow it to do so.

You keep it from doing that by not doing that.

Is there a weight, even a stupid light one, at which you can do the movement without losing extension?

If so, take it back to that weight and do not allow yourself to lose back extension, ever, as you work your way back up. If you fail the lift, you fail with your back in good extension. Don't permit yourself to do any ugly reps.
    I might be being a bit too optimistic but that thinking of pushing against the ground rather than pulling the weight sounds really good! That's definitely on my to-try-list come deadlift day, thank you.

I'm a bit reluctant to de-load with the DL seeing as the weight drop would be pretty big and I'm not doing it every session like the squat. I think I might give the 'push' cue a go and put everything I have into keeping that arch and if not, then I'll deload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast