starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragar’s Long Overdue Training Log

Default Dragar’s Long Overdue Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve lifted on and off since I was in high school, clueless like most people. I found this site a couple of years ago, bought SS, however a run of injuries and interruptions and lack of commitment have kept me from being able to really progress with training. I’ve now managed to get myself to the point where injuries aren’t limiting me much (careful with dead/cleans still), and I’m starting to get PBs in some lifts for the first time in a long time, so figured I’d keep a track here to keep me motivated.

Height: 6 foot, 1.83m
    Weight: 95kg
    Bodyfat: No idea really, guessing ~20%, hopefully a bit less

Current lifts (PB in brackets) in kg, 3x5 except for deadlift with is 1x5
    Squat: 101 (101)
    Press: 62.5 (62.5)
    Deadlift: 137.5 (145)
    Bench: 87.5 (90)
    Power Clean: * (73.5) haven’t trained it in ages, doing hang cleans as I realised I was relying way too much on speed from the ground
    Hang Power Clean: 60 (60)

First workout for my log is last night’s, short workout:
    Squat 101 3x5
    Squats have been my biggest problem injury wise. First I was getting quad tendonitis, then hip flexor tendonitis, then SI pain stemming from a lower right leg (pelvic alignment). I’ve been seeing a chiro for a while, improving hip mobility and really focusing on keeping myself symmetrical. For a long time I was left squatting less than I was pressing. I’m lifting with minimal pain now, knees good, hip flexors good and SI just a little sore, so hopefully I can make some good progress and lift my pathetic squat.

Press 62.5 3x5
    I was struggling to get past 61 kg for a few workouts, this was my first time lifting 62.5 and it was comfortable, against expectations. I don’t know why, but I’m not complaining. Maybe because I've started doing some ab work as I was getting unstable on tough reps (using ab roller). Maybe not. Next session will be 63.5.

Pullups (BW) 1x8Running out of time, did a quick set of pull-ups (wide grip)
    Last edited by Dragar; 04-18-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

Squat 102.5x3x5
    Bench 90x3x5
    Power Clean 70x3x3

Squat 103.5x3x5
    Press 63.5x3x5

Squat 105x3x5
    Bench 91x3x5

I first benched 90kg when i was a 72kg 18 ur old who knew nothing about lifting. Over the years whenever I've gotten back to that mark something has always hated it, shoulders normally. A few months ago I got there again, it felt easy, and I tore a pec. This is the first time I've finally broken past 90, and it felt easy and more balanced and controlled than ever, happy milestone for me. Only took me 15 yrs and 25kg bodyweight... Hopefully the progression to 100 goes smoothly

Feeling a bit dodgy tonight but got a reasonable workout in

Squat 106x3x5
    Press 65x3x4
    Chin-ups 1x10

Squat 107.5 x 3 x 5
    It's really good to be able to consistently push up my squat, albeit in baby jumps. It has taken me a long time to get to this point, I kept getting injuries in the 90-100kg range. I am confident I can keep this up for a while as long as I keep the jumps small.

Bench 92.5 x 3 x 5

This was an easy PR, but had a sore shoulder afterwards. My left shoulder has always tended to hate bench when it gets to near 90 kg. With my back better adjusted and my press stronger I've gotten to this point with no dramas, but I'll need to be a bit careful not to aggravate it. I think the problem is that my left shoulder moves up a bit when it gets tough, leaving the bench slightly. I'll hold weight next session and really focus on stopping that, and will fit a couple of chinup sessions in to make sure i'm keeping my upper back strong. Hopefully this was just a glitch and not a recurrence of earlier issues.

Deadlift 120 x 1 x 5

First time deadlifting conventional in a while, had gone sumo for a bti as it was easier on my SI, but it's time to get my lower back strong again. 120 is relatively easy, wanted to see how I would pull up today. My back around the SI is fine, so will move it up in 2.5 kg jumps and monitor.

Squat 108.5 x 3 x 5
    Press 65 - 5,4,4

Squat 110 x 3 x 5

This was hard, and ugly. I kept rolling forward. I'll be repeating this weight next workout

Bench 93.5 x 3 x 5

Shoulder felt great and I had more in the tank afterwards. Very happy. I'm confident I can get to 2 plates before too long.

Deadlift 122.5 x 3 x 5

Very easy off the ground, but my SI isn't loving it. Will keep taking small increases

Back extensions BW 1 x 15
    Chin-ups BW 1 x 10

Not a great workout, tired and weak from the start. Still, a lot better than nothing

Squat 110 x 3 x5

Second session at this weight, slighty better than the last but I'm still rolling forward slightly (which I do when it's too heavy for me). I think one more at this weight then up again.

Press 65 x 3 x 4

Didn't get past 4 on any rep, not good.

Power Clean 72.5 x 3 x 1

Was running out of time so worked up to a triple at 72.5

starting strength coach development program
    Turns out I've come down sick today, started feeling it last night. I'm going to blame my crappy work out on that and hope I get over this quick..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast