starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 5x300

Default Squat Form Check 5x300

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    21 / 6'0" / 205
    I have been doing SS for about 3.5 months.
    This is my 5RM.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Are you wearing boat shoes?

These aren't too bad. You might be a whisker high - hard to tell from that angle with the safeties in the road. If you put your head down a little, holding an imaginary tennis ball under your chin, you would get more hip drive. Your bar path drifts forward a little on some of the reps. That's about all I see to nitpick about. I don't know how you can squat in a singlet and prevent the bar from sliding down your back!

Yes I am wearing boat shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by bamzi View Post
    These aren't too bad. You might be a whisker high - hard to tell from that angle with the safeties in the road. If you put your head down a little, holding an imaginary tennis ball under your chin, you would get more hip drive. Your bar path drifts forward a little on some of the reps. That's about all I see to nitpick about. I don't know how you can squat in a singlet and prevent the bar from sliding down your back!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll try keeping my head down and see how that helps with the hip drive. And I definitely felt the bar sliding down my back - not bringing chalk that day didn't help either.

Unless you intend to squat on a boat (not recommended), don't squat in boat shoes.

I disagree about the shoes. I own boat shoes and think they are a perfect intermediary shoe in between a converse and a weightlifting shoe. Firm sole, slightly elevated heel. They have all you could want.

I approve. Squats look ok too.

there is no replacement for WL shoes, not chucks, not barefeet, not those vibram things or even boat shoes dare i say it. Weightlifting shoes are the only option

starting strength coach development program
    This is a relatively new interest for me - I've been lifting for less than four months. Like Dastardly said, boat shoes are by no means an egregious alternative until I make the investment in weightlifting shoes.