starting strength gym

Thread: slow vs. fast squat.

Default slow vs. fast squat.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a slow squatter. I would slowly go down low until I feel the quadricepts tensioning and then I sorta 'bounce' on that feeling to get back up.

I should add that I'm a perma-newbie; never spending enough time on getting strong because I'm busy doing other stuff. Right now I'm at 245# and improving nicely. I'm hoping I'll be able to get to 275# before long distance cycling gets in the way.

So the question: slow vs. fast squatting. Is there an advantage of one over the other or is it a personal thing?

As a side note, I searched on the intrawebz and this is the sort of answer I found:

"...Yes. And which you do will depend on what you want, and how much (if any) weight you are lifting. If you are under any weight, I'd advise against going fast, as you could put excessive train on the knee joint, and cause long term damage..."

That quote is simply wrong. Bad form causes issues; speed does not. Here's an example of a dive-bombed 925lbs squat.

Faster will give you a better stretch reflex. It's more difficult to keep good form if you go fast. If you practice, you can become good at it. However, if what you are currently doing works, keep doing it.

fdasdfasdf

basketball analogy, throwing the ball harder to the ground will make it bounce higher

He really went for it

starting strength coach development program
    That being said, Shane Hammon is an elite squatter and I wouldn't recommend someone try this unless their form was perfect and they were absolutely ready for it. There is greater potential for injury because you will losen up the muscles and then retighten at the bottom. Can be done obviously with practice.

devnull - if you post a video it would be easier to say if you should go faster or slower. To be honest, when the weight gets heavy everythign thing seems slow to me because I just can't wait to get the rep over with!