starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check please

Default Deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's my last set.

All feedback is welcome, and I'll wear A white shirt next time.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UV6C...e_gdata_player

lower back is pretty rounded out. try pointing your toes out and forcing your knees out to alleviate this. Also doing touch and go deadlifts, let the bar rest on the ground and reset your back between reps. Dead-lifts require Dead Weight

Default Thanks Brian

Thanks for your feedback. I tried some of it tonight, and felt a little better.

Im one of those guys who has a squat = deadlift. I think my brain is overwhelmed on deadlift info, there's so much to remember. Now that I'm mid-30's, I'm starting to get scared about my lower back (which can stay sore for long periods of time).

There are 3 crossfits within 15 miles, I'm thinking I'll call and see if someone can give me a private deadlift lesson for a reasonable price.

I often have newbies do a set of supermans before doing deadlifts to get the feeling of contracting the lower back muscles. Maybe it'll help you.

I've found that the deadlift is actually quite simple. Perhaps you're overthinking it. If the bar is over the middle of your foot and your back is held rigidly tight, there isn't too much else to do. Getting your back tight with the bar close to your legs is 95% of the deadlift.

Try to set up using the SS method.

starting strength coach development program
    You're perfectly capable of getting and keeping your back in extension, because you do it just fine in that clip except on the first rep.

A couple of possibilities:

1) You may need to deload. You're doing touch-and-go DLs, which means your back does not work nearly as hard on reps after #1. Maybe you can get/keep your back into extension just fine when the weight is something it can manage.

2) You're setup just needs some work.

I'm thinking it's probably #2, although typically, people do need to deload slightly when they switch from touch-and-go DLs to real deadlifts.

To fix setup, I agree with Brian--heels closer together, toes pointed out, and shove the knees out to the sides. In addition, push your gut into the space that this creates between your femurs. Next, arch your upper back so that your nipples point at the wall in front of you. This should help you get your back into proper extension. NOW start the pull.