starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift check

Default Squat and deadlift check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Opinions?

I know that on the way down on the deadlift, I should be going faster and letting the bar go past my knees before bending them, and therefore creating a straight bar path. Gonna work on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...KZ__zElE#t=29s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...cn7FAsQ4#t=27s

Both look fine to me. There might be a bit of kneeslide at the bottom of the squats on some reps, which might be fixed by a harder knees out/sit back (in the bottom), but that's really nitpicking.

keep adding weight to the bar, eat like crazy and you'll be moving a lot more weight soon.

Thanks for your reply. I am eating well and really enjoying it.

I actually have been working on the knees shooting forward on the squat. Rip critiqued my form and I practiced the "block of wood" test and passed - with the bar only.

Now I just have to pass the test with weight on the bar. I just need to CONSTANTLY tell myself "sit back, butt out" throughout every set.

Regarding deadlift, I feel like I could add 60 pounds to my deadlift tomorrow if I wanted to. I was at 265 but form was not good. I went lighter to work on form and I don't think going lighter was necessary. It was just bad form and even with 135 pounds it was bad. In fact, I think my improved form gave me more power so I could probably do 265 no problem.

When I restarted SS a few years back lifting VERY light (65lbs on the squat and 135 dead I think) I went with 10 lb jumps for quite a while. That said I lowered the increases to 5 lbs before I was ever close to failure on worksets. It's important, though sometimes hard, to be patient with this lifting thing.

The knees thing happens on the last rep or two, and is hardly noticeable. It was just the only thing I could see that you might want to work at.

Thanks again for the input and thanks for sharing your experiences.

The knees thing is really the last thing I think I need to fix before I'll feel very satisfied with my squat. It's just a mental thing I have to keep reminding myself of. My instinct is to shoot them forward. All else on the squat has become second nature. The knees will be second nature very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChgoSportsFan View Post
    The knees thing is really the last thing I think I need to fix before I'll feel very satisfied with my squat.
    Don't worry, you'll never run out of things to fix, there'll always be SOMETHING you can improve, especially on the squat. It's a constant work in progress for most of us.

You're breaking at the hips first on your squat, causing your knees to shoot forward when you get to the bottom. On the TUBOW video you posted on Rip's forum, you seemed to get your knees forward first, breaking at hips and knees simultaneously, eradicating the knees shooting forward problem. This is how you should be squatting.

Here is a video from set #3 from my last workout of 210 3x5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...p0NEUvbA#t=28s

Am I using too much weight? Take a look at my back angle on a few of the reps. Is this too much of a good morning or am I good to progress?

As always, thanks for any opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChgoSportsFan View Post
    Here is a video from set #3 from my last workout of 210 3x5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...p0NEUvbA#t=28s

Am I using too much weight? Take a look at my back angle on a few of the reps. Is this too much of a good morning or am I good to progress?

As always, thanks for any opinions.
    Bump. Anybody?

starting strength coach development program
    Notice how your knees will slide backwards as you come up from the bottom. Try to fight that tendency, keep your knees where they are (forward), and keep the quads loaded. Grind up with the quads.

Also, keep your head down as you're grinding through your sticking point.

If you can fix these things at the current weight, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you should probably take some weight off and work on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast