starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After Spar enlightened me in my previous squat form thread about a more useful angle to record from, I've done so.

I failed on the last rep of the set and it really just felt like I didn't have the strength for it or drive in the rep. Yet anyway.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping my elbows at the right height and angle and I also notice my knees caved in a bit on part of the ascend, gotta work on that.

(And please ignore the partially torn pants, they're old and tore on the first set. I didn't feel like interrupting my squats to tear another pair up.)

keep your knees out

Your knees look ok to me. Of course you can always focus on keeping them out a little more, but I don't think it's a major problem. It looks like you are raising your hips too high resulting in a slightly Good Morning'd squat.

Your pants are fucking killing me. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon
    keep your knees out
    Being able to keep them out all the time will come with increased strength and more training, won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Your pants are fucking killing me. hahaha
    I was very happy not to be in a public gym when it happened. I'm not sure whether I should take it as a sign of progress or chubness.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari
    Your knees look ok to me. Of course you can always focus on keeping them out a little more, but I don't think it's a major problem. It looks like you are raising your hips too high resulting in a slightly Good Morning'd squat.
    Funny you should mention it, I've felt I go too forward as well, but when I see from the side, it's really only happening at too heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunafisher View Post
    Funny you should mention it, I've felt I go too forward as well, but when I see from the side, it's really only happening at too heavy weights.
    Of course it's going to happen at heavy weights! Light weights are going to be easier all around to maintain good form. Just try to focus a little bit more next time on keeping the chest up, but without losing that hip drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    Of course it's going to happen at heavy weights! Light weights are going to be easier all around to maintain good form. Just try to focus a little bit more next time on keeping the chest up, but without losing that hip drive.
    Roger! Thanks for the help and critique Pferrari.

I don't think the knees are criminal either. I would however slow the descent down just a tad. I think this is in part what causes you to lose a bit of control over your knees in the bottom.

Also, awesome pants.

starting strength coach development program
    Obviously, this is a heavy set, and we can only see it from the rear.

However, when and how your back angle changes indicates that you are breaking at the hips first on the way down and shooting up at the hips first when coming up. I'd have to see a side view to confirm, though.

The degree to which the knees flap around is not serious, but it's more a sign of losing concentration on keeping everything tight and the crotch open (haha--funny in the context of your broken pants) throughout the hardest part of the movement.

Once again, the set is obviously heavy. Try to record more than 1 work set, one set from the side, the other from the back, the last at 3/4, at a weight at which you can complete all three sets, for the best feedback results.