starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How offensive is my squat form

From that angle and at this weight (which seems light for you) there's nothing to be offended about. I would get some lifting shoes, though, and maybe work on the knees being more stable in the bottom (i.e. setting them earlier).

Those are Addidas lifting shoes from Rogue Fitness. The wight is light because I injured my back 7 months ago and I'm getting back and working cleaning up my form before I start stacking on the weight.

Nice! They look almost exactly like some Adidas sneakers I have.

If you have lower back problems, you might consider cutting them a bit higher. This can usually be achieved by widening your stance a tad and/or being very conscious of knees out/butt back in the bottom, which usually gives a "tighter" rebound.

They're not bad, but it looks like you're leading with the chest in most of those reps.

Get your head down and drive up through the hips.

Is it possible to get a view that includes your whole body?

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    They're not bad, but it looks like you're leading with the chest in most of those reps.

Get your head down and drive up through the hips.

Is it possible to get a view that includes your whole body?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dXAuqczE#t=17s

You have some forward knee travel/looseness at the bottom in that clip, which I assume is older? You seem to have corrected this in the later clip from the original post.

I think if you keep your head down, your squat will look good. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    You have some forward knee travel/looseness at the bottom in that clip, which I assume is older? You seem to have corrected this in the later clip from the original post.

I think if you keep your head down, your squat will look good. Try it.
    This was the same night.

Part of the reason I have my head up is because I've been fighting the issue of both my thoracic and lower back coming out of extension, followed by a good morning. I guess I needed to exaggerate things a bit to fix that problem.

The forward knee travel is the precise reason for this thread. That's my current battle. I'm lifting tonight, I'll get another video up.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHS View Post
    This was the same night.

Part of the reason I have my head up is because I've been fighting the issue of both my thoracic and lower back coming out of extension, followed by a good morning. I guess I needed to exaggerate things a bit to fix that problem.

The forward knee travel is the precise reason for this thread. That's my current battle. I'm lifting tonight, I'll get another video up.
    You're absolutely right. My bad--I didn't notice the forward knee travel because of the rack blocking most of your knees and because I was focused on your drive.

Here's the thing about head down leading to thoracic flexion--it's because a lot of people do head down wrong.

Do not crane your head forward.

When doing the old tennis ball under the chin cue, don't hold the "tennis ball" the way most people would hold a tennis ball under the chin in real life, i.e., by craning the head forward and then dropping the whole head/neck complex down. Tuck the chin back slightly and tilt the head down without moving your neck. Then move the sternum up. The way that this forces you to get your chest up and out keeps your t-spine in proper extension. Meanwhile, you keep your neck in neutral while looking down properly while squatting.

To fix the forward knee travel, which is not awful but should be addressed, practice with a TUBOW.

starting strength coach development program
    I knock the TUBOW down everytime. I'm almost wondering if I should just build a big fucking barrier that is completely immovable, or a large sheet of plywood.

Once I start looking at my knees, my back will round, my knees don't get shoved out and my bounce isn't........I'm a fucking mess. Too much shit goes through my gourd when I squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast