starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat/DL form check

Default Squat/DL form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm about 3 weeks into SS. I'm 28yrs old, 6' tall, and ~200lbs. I'm eating 3k-4k calories per day, which I think is consistent with the program. This week, my lifts are at:

Squat: 220lbs
    Bench: 180lbs
    DL: 260lbs
    Press: 95lbs
    Clean: 120lbs

Videos from last week are below. The angle sucks because the squat rack gets in the way. Also, I know I need to keep my head down for squats, and this has since been corrected. Any advice is much appreciated.

200lb Squat Set 1
    200lb Squat Set 2
    225lb Deadlift
    245lb Deadlift

Thanks in advance.

Squat - keep your head looking down at the ground on the way back up. Keep your chest up throughout the entire movement, you're getting bent over a little bit on the way up and letting the bar move forward. You want to keep the bar balanced over the middle of your feet at all times. Another way to think of this is, try to keep your torso more upright. That will help you to utilize a stronger stretch reflex out of the bottom as well, since it looks like you're having a little trouble with it. One more thing, when you're unracking the bar, place your hands higher on the bar, so that the bar is lower in your palm.

Deadlift - your deadlift is pretty good. Your setup is just a little bit off though. Raise your butt about an inch higher (this should also move your shoulders a little bit forward as well). Set the bar down faster; it looks like you're using bumper plates, so you don't need to worry about damaging them. Also, make sure each rep starts and stops at a dead stop and make sure you reset your position for the next rep.

Thanks, Mike. I've actively tried to correct the problems with my squat, but the bar is still not moving in a straight line. I seem to be folding over at the bottom (happens even at low weights), and I have no "bounce". Any advice?

My current max (for 3x5) is 225lbs, but I de-loaded today in the hope of correcting my form. Here are the results:

175lb warm up set
    205lb work set #3

Thanks again.

Do you have shoes?

Afraid not. I've been lifting in Chuck Taylors, since I've been told they're an acceptable poor man's lifting shoe. Would shoes make much of a difference for this problem?

I think with the folding over shoes will help considerably. You also might push your knees out a little more.

You are looking in the mirror and it's screwing u up. As far as the folding over goes, don't be afraid to sit back into the squat while keeping a high chest.
    Last edited by MEbigUsmall; 05-04-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Default And I'm back

AFAIK I have two problems with my squat - the first was the folding over discussed previously, and the second is that I have pain around the front of my hips when I squat and after. It never hurt when I was doing crossfit and lifting last year, but the pain's pretty bad since starting SS. I reread Active Hip 2.0 and have been focusing on shoving my knees out because I figure the pain is due to impingement of the tissue there. This seems to help both issues, and I seem to be getting more "bounce".

I've ordered the Rogue 2012s but don't have them yet, so still squatting in chucks. First rep is a mess, so I didn't count it:
    230lb squat set#3

MikeC1, MEbigUsmall, or anyone else, any feedback is appreciated.

You need to narrow your stance and keep your torso more upright.

I like the Romaleos. If I were you I would return the rogues and get the Romaleos. I'm not sure about the rogues but I know the Romaleos adjust the heel height ratio for shoe size. The only shoes I ever owned but every one I know chooses them.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm far from an expert and need help my self. But it looks like you are just folding in half. It seems like your trying too hard to do a low bar. Just sit down and we will worry about hip drive after you are actually squatting and not folding. Try Bring your heels in so they are a little closer to under your ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast