starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I feel like this looks awful. The bar is over the middle of my foot, exactly as Rip describes in his advocated setup. I arch my upper back hard, and it feels like my lower back is tight. I then pull.

When I watch, it looks to me like my lower back isn't completely extended. I can force a relatively rigid extension if I push my hips down really low, but at that point I'm at a horrific mechanical disadvantage.

Deadlifts frustrate me. I've been tempted to just pull semi-sumo or something, but I wouldn't be doing the program properly then.

What am I doing wrong? Is it bad enough that I should stop putting weight on the bar? I'm sick of going two steps forward, two steps back. I want to pull 400.

We can't see the bar on the floor, but from the angle of your arms and how you drop your hips I imagine you are pushing the bar forward. To arch the back you must raise the chest, not drop the hips.

The bar isn't rolling forward. I placed two five pound plates in front of the plates loaded on the bar specifically so it couldn't move.

It might just be too much weight for you, although you also need to do a better job with setup. Please get us a view that shows your whole body and that shows a rear 3/4 view as well (use a warmup set for additional view).

Why are you drenched in sweat? Is it very hot in your gym?

Also, what grip are you using? Chalk?

I'm drenched in sweat because of a medication I'm on. It causes me to sweat profusely. Nothing I can do about it, really.

I use a double overhand grip until it fails, then switch to alternate grip.

Here are my last two videos. Slightly different angles.

To me, the second one looks a lot better.