starting strength gym

Thread: Ian Driscoll's Training Log

Thumbs up Ian Driscoll's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'll do a little introduction, my name is Ian Driscoll, I'm 20 years old and am studying exercise science at Wayne State College. I'm an amateur powerlifter/strongman. I'm going to start using the starting strength forums because 1) I want to get "back to my roots" (I used to blog for a supplement company, which I will never do again, let's leave it at that) and get feedback from people who aren't ignorant and understand the value/importance of barbell exercises and lifestyle 2) I know I won't get questioned about the latest supplement, how great it is or what supplements I'm taking (I'm not taking any, actually) 3) I owe a lot to starting strength for putting me on the right track for strength many years ago. My best lifts in a powerlifting competition to date are a 512 squat, 303 bench, and a 556 deadlift. I'm also drug free, I don't believe in AAS and I compete raw (like it matters).

4-23-12
    warm up
    RDL - worked up to 365x2 and 315x10 (Disappointed in my 365 effort)
    -previous best was 335 for 5

DB rows - 110# 27 each arm then 17 each arm

Incline curls - #20 3x12

Face pulls - 4x20

Superset: Abs on roman chair & DB side bends #85 3x10

walk - 25 minutes

4-25-12
    Warm up

Incline bench - worked up to 235# did 3 and then the weight damn near fell off the ends, took the five's off and did two more reps with 225. I really need to make bench workouts my priority for the meet in July. I suck at bench.

DB military press - 45# - 23, 21

Rolling DB tricep ext. - 40# 4x12

Lat pulls - 120# 4x12

planks - did these on a HIIT interval of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, managed 5 rounds with good form (squeezing abs and butt cheeks)

walk - 60 minutes

I started this cycle at around 258-260, weighed in today at 252 so fluctuating 251-253. So I've lost anywhere from 9-5 pounds primarily of fat (i've been drinking a lot of water) in two weeks. Along with this, the walking has helped with recovery and mental clarity as well. Pretty simple, walking more in general, and focusing on eating whole foods and cut out soda (except for a few sips here and there, it's definitely my weakness). I'm going to keep doing this until it stops working then I'll worry about doing some HIIT and carb cycling.

4-27-12
    warm up

Front squats - worked up to 285 x 5 (PR, raw no belt)

Sumo deads - 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 405x4 (PR, no belt)
    - I was going for six but got four, needless to say my sumo's need work. sumo deads have been shown to have a great carryover to conventional deadlifting.. and maybe they'll have some carryover to my squat. This is an example of a great building exercise, gonna work these hard.

One leg squats to parallel - 10,10,10 each leg. I tried doing one leg squats with a few inches below parallel but I looked like a giraffe coming out of the womb all awkward. I did manage one though.

Hanging abs/barbell russian twist supersets - 3x10

Walk - 45 minutes

Weighed in at 250 today with clothes on so I'm probably around 248 meaning I've lost 10 pounds in around 3 weeks.

4-30-12

Warm up

Hang cleans for 4's -> 135, 155, 185, 225

Rack pulls (18") - 315x1, 405x1, 495x1, 585x1 (PR), 495x5 (PR) all dead stop
    - When I was doing strongman, this was always one of my weaker events, and for my deadlift this is my weak point, I can deadlift 495x3, but I have trouble locking out 585 for 1 and 495 for 5 = pathetic. Working on these.

DB rows 110# -> 28 each arm, 20 each arm = 48, 4 more from last week (PR)

Face pulls - 5x10

incline bicep curls - 3x12, 1x8 gonna drop these next week

abs - started to feel stale so did two sets of roman chair sit ups and side bends with 85#. Need to start shortening up my workouts.

Walk - 35 minutes

I'll get a video up later.

5-2-12

warm up

military press - worked up to 205x4

DB bench - 70#x10, 80#x10

walk - 20 minutes

I'm going to make some changes to my program. I'm going to start to do all my heavy lifting on Monday's and Friday's and make Tuesday and Saturday days for some light assistance work/active recovery. I find myself that I can't focus on Wednesday's if I try to lift maximally. On Monday and Friday I can hit it hard. So to take advantage of this I'm going to do my deadlift variations and bench variations heavy on Monday in two week cycles like I have been. Light assistance for the bench and deadlift on tuesday. Squat and overhead variations heavy on Friday, again in two week cycles and squat and overhead assistance on saturday. I'll start doing some G.P.P like walking and weighted walking every day and after my monday and friday workouts I'll start adding in some metabolic conditioning with strongman implements or run some hills. Time to get my ass in shape.

I appreciate feedback!