starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Need a form check on Squat and Deadlifts. I feel like my knees are coming out a bit at the bottom on a few squats. I also wonder if I am leaning forward too much when going down because when I go back up it feels like I am using quite a bit of lower back, unless that is ok.

As for deadlifts, I have A LOT of trouble getting my back straight at the bottom. I could use some advice on what to do about that. Wider/narrower stance? Hip position? Is my shoulder position over the bar bad?

This is my fifth set at 230lbs:

http://youtu.be/1Q9EYRpPNEI

And here is my deadlift at 295. My heels are about 8'' apart:

http://youtu.be/OMuG8E2s36I

Thanks.
    Last edited by ForbiddenDonut; 05-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.

I am not an expert, but the biggest problem with your squat is that your chest is falling downward and your back is rounding at the bottom. It is difficult to tell from this angle, but I suspect the bar is moving forward of mid foot at the bottom, which is making the lift a lot harder for you that it should be at that weight. Post a video from with a side view of your squat like the deadlift video. The bar may be a little high on your back and your arms and scapulae are probably not tight enough which is contributing to this problem.

Before you squat down really take a big breath and stick your chest out (like you are showing off your boobs!). Fold at the knee and hips and keep sticking your chest out all the way down.

With the deadlift the bar seems to be moving forward of your shins after it leaves the floor. Again stick your chest out more and keep the bar in contact with your shins as it moves up.