starting strength gym

Thread: Post Knee-Scope Log

Default Post Knee-Scope Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Guys,

A little background. I'm currently a rising junior in college, did SS spring semester of my Freshman year and made ok progress. Didn't really have the focus I needed and was definitely lacking on sleep.

My end lifts after about 3 or so months:
    Squat: 5 x 245lbs
    Bench: 5 x 160lbs
    Dead: 5 x 255lbs
    Press: 5 x 115lbs

Couldn't do cleans due to school gym policy unfortunately. As you can see, pretty measly progress but I honestly believe most of it was due to lack of sleep.

Now, I'm starting back up on SS. I had arthroscopic knee surgery back in February, was on crutches for 6 weeks, and my right leg completely atrophied. I toiled away at PT for 10 or so sessions - it was helpful though because my leg was completely depleted.

I've managed to hit the gym again for probably the last month or so, so I figured SS was the best way to regain leg strength and progress well past my old numbers. I did gymnastics last fall which I really enjoyed, but that obviously won't help me in the leg category any. So any ways, here's where I stand now:

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 199lbs (though I don't seem to look it...)

Squat: 5 x 170lbs
    Bench: 5 x 160lbs
    Dead: 5 x 170lbs
    Clean: 5 x 110lbs
    Press: 5 x 115lbs

These were from today, my second SS workout. I'm starting ultra light with the squats and deads. As you can see, my bench and press are already at the old weight which is likely due to whatever strength I managed to carry over from gymnastics (despite not being able to work out for a few months). Both of those lifts are also starting off fairly light, could have added more onto each, but I don't want to stall too quickly. I'm also doing 3 x 5 of pullups and 3 x 8 of dips at the end of each workout.

Short term goals by end of August:
    Bench: 225lb
    Squat: 275+
    Dead: over 300lb

I'll keep this updated on my progress! Feels good to be working out again!

/end long post

3rd SS workout today. Felt great, definitely could have pushed the weights but just restraining myself for the time being.

Squat: 5 x 185lbs
    Bench: 5 x 165lbs
    Dead: 5 x 190lbs

Squat wasn't super easy, but definitely had something left over. Bench wasn't too bad either, but I don't want to stall on that too quick. Deads were pretty easy, which is surprising because on my first workout they were somewhat challenging with 20lbs less.

Weight: 203lbs

4th workout today. Squat was pretty hard today but I just managed to make it through.

Squat: 5 x 195lbs
    Press: 5 x 120lbs
    Clean: 5 x 115lbs
    Weight: 202.6lbs

It will feel good to push the squat back over 200lbs, but for my next workout I'm going to keep the squat at the same weight.

I figured I'd keep track of my increase in weight to make it easier to follow:
    Squat: +35lbs
    Dead: +20lbs
    Bench: +5lbs
    Press: +5lbs
    Clean: +5lbs
    Weight: +3.6lbs

Squat felt much better, kept it at the same weight as last time and powered through it a lot easier, so will definitely knock it up 10lbs next workout. Bench still feels good and dead felt great. Weight has stayed steady/dropped a little, so just loaded up on milk at the store to make sure I get in some extra calories this next week.

Squat: 5 x 195lbs
    Bench: 5 x 170lbs
    Dead: 5 x 205lbs
    Weight: 202.0lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Squat: +35lbs
    Dead: +35lbs
    Bench: +10lbs
    Press: +5lbs
    Clean: +5lbs
    Weight: +3.0lbs
    Last edited by Jordan_vPlahn; 05-24-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Probably my best workout in a long time. I usually finish workouts with some dips and pullups, but I was so gassed at the end of this one that I didn't. I'm posting a form check in Technique soon just to make sure it's all there. Not sure about the cleans, but I'll find out.

Squat: 5 x 205lbs
    Press: 5 x 125lbs
    Clean: 5 x 125lbs
    Weight: 202.6lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Squat: +45lbs
    Dead: +35lbs
    Bench: +10lbs
    Press: +10lbs
    Clean: +15lbs
    Weight: +3.6lbs

Another really good workout today. Squat was tough, but I powered through the last set. Bench felt great, definitely could have amped it up but I'll leave that to next time. Deadlift wasn't bad - last set was a challenge, but will definitely push it next time. All in all a good workout. Feels good to be regaining strength. And back on the weight gain train!

Squat: 5 x 215lbs
    Bench: 5 x 175lbs
    Dead: 5 x 220lbs
    Weight: 204.0lbs

Squat: +55lbs
    Dead: +50lbs
    Bench: +15lbs
    Weight: +5.0lbs

Today was a so so day. Up to two plates on the squat which feels great. Missed one rep on the last set of squats which sucked, but I'm going to keep it there for next workout. Press was tough, going to order some 1.25lb plates so I microload but I'm going to keep the same weight there as well. Kept clean weight the same as I try to learn the form (posted some videos in technique), but it felt better today.

Been pushing the weight up as well. Up to 207lbs, which is definitely the heaviest I've ever been. I really don't look it though and I'm not carrying much in the way of stomach fat. But my legs have definitely taken off and my arms have made pretty considerable gains. I've also surpassed or am approaching my weights after 3 months of SS before so that feels great. I'm definitely way more focused and refreshed each session and working way harder than I was before.

Squat: 5 x 225lbs
    Press: 5 x 130lbs
    Clean: 5 x 125lbs
    Weight: 207lbs

Squat: +55lbs
    Dead: +50lbs
    Bench: +15lbs
    Press: +15lbs
    Weight: +8.0lbs
    Last edited by Jordan_vPlahn; 05-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Pushed my workout back a day because I didn't get much sleep after a concert Thursday night. Wasn't feeling it all today when I walked into the gym, but I nutted up and had a good workout. Squat was murderous but I made it through. Bench and deadlift felt great. Surprised my weight was maintained because I didn't feel like I had much food intake the last two days, but I'll take it.

Squat: 5 x 225lbs
    Bench: 5 x 180lbs
    Dead: 5 x 230lbs
    Weight: 207.0lbs

Squat: +65lbs
    Dead: +60lbs
    Bench: +25lbs
    Weight: +8.0lbs