starting strength gym
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Broke Legs Training Extravaganza!

Default Brian Broke Legs Training Extravaganza!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This seems to be my next logical step - starting a log here. In a nutshell - I fell 20 feet off a roof in April of 2011; breaking both legs so severely that my ortho surgeon advised I would never walk unassisted again. After 6 surgeries and nearly losing my leg to a staph infection, I ignored the warnings and the naysaying and decided that I was responsible for what happened to me. I began by crawling, moving then to a wheelchair, walker, crutches, canes and walking stick . .I walk unassisted now . .and on my own decided that heavy lifting is what is going to save me. I am a 44 year old father of 6 (with #7 on the way) in Lexington, KY. Rip saw something in me and has been very supportive. I am looing forward to receiving a hard copy and DVD of Starting Strength. Several weeks ago, I actually started a different barbell program. This was before I had ever even heard of SS or Mark Rippetoe. This program begins starting with just the weight of the bar, adding 5 lbs per session; 5 reps x 5 sets. I have worked up to the weight of today's session after starting at 45lb on all. The following totals are what I completed for Program A & B (Sunday and Tuesday of this week)

May 22
    Squat 135 x 5 x 5
    Bench 140 x 5 x 5
    BB Row 135 x 5 x 5

May 20
    Squat 130 x 5 x 5
    Press 100 x 5 x 5
    DL 175 x 5 x 1

The weight is not huge yet . .and I have ALOT of gas in the tank, but I decided that I was going to check my ego at the door and learn the correct technique for each of these lifts . .and in order to do that I needed to do it from the beginning and build up.

Next Goals .....hmmm . . . still trying to settle on that. My heart tells me to go straight for a 1200 total. 300 bench/400 squat/ 500 deadlift . . but like crawling around this house for all those months on these busted legs . .I may want something a little closer . .my short term goals are:

Bench Press: 200
    Squat : 300
    DeadLift : 400

Today's workout went awesome. I did try to switch things up a bit and see what it felt like squatting with my boots instead of my Chucks. I did one set and realized I didn't care for it. Switched back to Chucks and rolled through my sets. I look forward to every single day in the gym. That time that I have . . .adding that weight . .every other day .. like clockwork . . . I dig this. Looking forward to revising the program when I get my SS and begin to get an understanding of the program.
    Last edited by Brian Jones; 05-27-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: addition of sets

Hey Brian,

Read about your story over in Rip's Q&A and I have to say you're an inspiration. I'm even thinking about having a poster made that says "Brian lifts, why can't you?" so on days I just don't feel like it I'll get my lazy butt to the gym.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinGeoffs View Post
    Hey Brian,

Read about your story over in Rip's Q&A and I have to say you're an inspiration. I'm even thinking about having a poster made that says "Brian lifts, why can't you?" so on days I just don't feel like it I'll get my lazy butt to the gym.

Best of luck to you!
    LOL . .you are too kind sir. In some warped way I think I am in a pretty good position from a training standpoint in the fact that having had everything taken away for an extended amount of time .. that every day I can see improvement. In my strength, flexibility, etc... Man, if it gets you in the gym - make whatever poster you need . .or you could take a look at this:

Lol . . . .. . . . that was me less than a year ago. You can make it to the gym, can't you? LOL . . . .I appreciate the kind words and support.

Man that picture looks super gnarly. I'm inspired by your story, you've got balls and if you keep pushing yourself you'll get to your goals. I'll definitely be following your log.

Thanks Matthew. We will definitely have to stay in touch - - us Jones boys got to stick together. Today was a rest day - -packing in the protein and eating clean. Gonna be a great day in the rack tomorrow!

Squats: 140 x 5 x 5
    Overhead Press: 105 x 5 x 5
    Deadlift: 185 x 5 x 1

Great workout- the strength is there and I am resisting the urge to "overload" - I want to progress incrementally so I can continue to improve technique. No worries today. Not lookinng forward to the next two rest days but it is as important if not more than the weight lifted. Psyched for my copy of Starting Strength and the DVD to get here.

This should be good. Good call on just doing what felt right when you started to crawl and now lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    This should be good. Good call on just doing what felt right when you started to crawl and now lifting.
    Thanks Wayne. I am finding that to be the key to success for me. A person can spend a lifetime coming up with all of the "I can'ts" . . if I can take each day and start it with an "I can" . .shoot . . . . I don't where the limit is .. . . I appreciate the support brother.

FYI, when you switch to SS you'll be doing 3x5s instead of 5x5s. If you feel really strong you can do 10lb jumps on squats and deadlifts. For example I did 10lb jumps to 200 pounds and then switched up to 5lb jumps from there on.

Also I would highly recommend getting a couple 1.25lb plates so that you can eventually move your press and bench over to 2.5lb jumps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
    FYI, when you switch to SS you'll be doing 3x5s instead of 5x5s. If you feel really strong you can do 10lb jumps on squats and deadlifts. For example I did 10lb jumps to 200 pounds and then switched up to 5lb jumps from there on.

Also I would highly recommend getting a couple 1.25lb plates so that you can eventually move your press and bench over to 2.5lb jumps.
    10lb jumps are highly appropriate for teenagers in the offseason, and generally appropriate for healthy people in a hurry.

I don't think Brian is 100% healthy yet, and shouldn't be in a hurry. From time to time, I say that missing is like an injury, but that's not appropriate here. You've dealt with a real injury.

A miss is like a paper cut in the crease of a finger - really annoying and best off avoided.

Oh, and good luck, Brian. Hoping this will be an epic log.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast