Press
    95x5
    115x5x3

Skullcrusher 75x10x3

Chinup

*normal grip = pinky on ring

5/29/12
    Max Effort Squat/Deadlift

Wide Stance Squat (feet to sides of rack)
    135x5
    175x1
    205 missed
    205x1
    225x1 PR

Good Mornings
    65x12x2
    95x12

Straight Leg Deadlift
    95x8x4

incline bench hanging leg raise

I may have missed it, but have you given your age? Any training history summary?

Also, is there a particular reason to abandon linear programming so early? I briefly thought about conjugate a couple of years ago, and realized I'd need movement coaching every three weeks.

Anyway, I wish you good luck and following winds!

I am age 25. I have prior experience working out in high school and college football. I did a bodybuilding split on and off for 3 years with little to no progress.

I have previously did starting strength 2 months to get the numbers I have currently, though I needed a more specific program to better develop lagging hamstrings and shoulders. I know I could continue on and possibly make a couple more weeks progress on starting strength, but I do plan to compete eventually and want to incorporate speed training ASAP.
    Last edited by Adam021187; 05-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Far be it for me (or anyone really) to tell you how to train, but in my experience westside training is beyond what you need right now. You could make faster progress with a different program like a TM style or even GSLP setup. You'll be much stronger come meet day with something like this than westside.

Think about it like this, if your current 1RM squat is 235 and your 5RM is 205, you'll be crushing 235 x 5+ for multiple sets in 3 weeks. Whereas you likely won't ever see 235 for anything other than a heavy single. Also, the wide-stance squat won't help unless you're using gear, which I don't think you're strong enough for.

Basically you need to build your base with tried and true 5x5, 5 x 3, and 3 x 5 set ups on the big lifts (with the deadlift being a possible exception) before messing around with this advanced protocol. A different type of linear progression will net you far greater strength, hypetrophy, and gpp than westside at this point, while also giving you greater exposure to being under the bar where you can learn what you'll need to get stronger.

Wait until you can squat 315 x 5 x 3, pull 405 x 3-5, and bench 275 x 5 x 3 before messing around with speed days and what not. You'll be at the right point to start playing with it at that point. There is a guy at my gym like you doing a similar program, his squat is high, his good mornings are dangerous, and both his bench and dead would net him red lights and potential injury at a meet. If he simply did an intermediate type program to get strong and develop his technique and capacity he could potentially use these modalities later.

FWIW, I have pr's at 181 of a 440 squat, 308 competition bench, and 540 dead. I only recently started incorporating DE work to drive the weights up because doing a typical LP with straight weights (290lb x 5 x 4 on bench and 385 x 5 x 3 on squats) was getting to hard to recover from. My brother is much the same way. Be patient and you'll be better off, I promise. If you have any questions with regards to setting up a good program for a meet let me or any of us know! We're all here to help one another! Sry for the rant.

JordanF, I do appreciate the generous advice. I will take that advice and finish out my linear progress on starting strength. Technique is not a concern, but I do agree my numbers are quite low to be skipping out on some much easier gains, squat especially. You are correct that my squat 5RM is 205 so far. I will stick with SS with some added tricep and hamstring exercises until I hit atleast a few reset points on each of my lifts. For anyone interested I will link a new log here tomorrow.

Hey man you don't need "hamstring" work if you are squatting 235 and pulling 275. You just need "work" work if you get what I'm saying.

There is nothing to say you couldn't aim for sets of 5 on max effort days and instead of speed work do lots of sets and get in some good volume. It could get tricky though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    There is nothing to say you couldn't aim for sets of 5 on max effort days and instead of speed work do lots of sets and get in some good volume. It could get tricky though.
    The point about changIng exercises in the conjugate method is to avoid overtraining. That risk doesn't exist yet.

With regard to good mornings, remember that westside is designed for geared lifters. The gear allows them to squat really heavy, without helping their back. I think that's why westside talk about good mornings and reverse hypers so much.

Same with board press - they're targeting the bit of the exercise where the gear is least helpful. You don't need that stuff until you get much stronger. If you do switch to SS or GSLP, the bit of westside you could most profitably steal IMO is DE work. If/when your 3x5 get slow, add a DE workout to get thebar moving again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast