starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam's Starting Strength Log

Default Adam's Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have had experience doing starting strength for the last few weeks. I like many other lifters that have "Workout OCD" jumped to a different program briefly. If you want some more information on what made me come to the conclusion that starting strength is for me then checkout my first attempt at a workout log.

Goals:
    -Bring up lagging Squat and Deadlift
    -Add size
    -1,000 pound total
    -Compete in Winter or Early 2013 as job allows

Starting max 5/26/12
    Squat = 235
    Bench = 255
    Deadlift = 275
    Total = 765

Height 6'0
    Weight 190
    Age 25

Sticking with basic template with everyday deadlifts for at least a few weeks. My goal is powerlifting so should I do the power cleans? Also I am going to do some chinups, back extensions and dips/skullcrushers throughout the program, possibly drop them if progress slows on my main lifts. I'll post my first workout later today. All opinions are appreciated!

Default Previous 10 workouts

Previous workouts:
    So previously I have fiddled around with Starting Strength, doing several squat resets to perfect form because it was absolutely terrible before. My bench form was also terrible, bouncing the bar and other dangerous shit I'm not going to BS you about. Seated presses were also very sketchy, but now I have somewhere that I can actually do standing presses like the book recommends. I was actually unable to do heavy deadlifts because of the floor I was doing them on so I was always extra cautious. Anyways here is my workout history. I hope to surpass all of this bullshitting around and missing workouts to finally put up some real numbers and make some real progress.

squat 135x5x3; seated press 95x5x3; deadlift 135x5
    squat 145x5x3; bench 195x5x3; chin-up 5,5; sit-up 8,8,8
    squat 150x5x3; seated press 100x5x3; deadlift 150x5
    squat 155x5x3; bench 195x5x3; chin-up 5,5
    squat 165x5x3; seated press 155x5x3; power clean 135x5x3
    squat 175x5x3; bench 200x5 200x4 200x3; deadlift 185x5
    squat 180x5x3; seated press 120x5x3; power clean 140x5x3
    squat 185x5x3; bench 200x5x3; chin-up 6,5,1
    squat 190x5x3; seated press 135x5x3; chin-up 5,5,4
    squat 195x5x3; seated press 140x5x3; chin-ups 5,5,4

5/31/12
    Squat 205x5x3
    Press 120x5x3
    Deadlift 205x5
    Chin-ups 6,5,4
    Dips 12,15,12

Hey Adam, I saw on your other log that you're a former college football player? Where did you play?

I played at an NAIA division college called Union College, located in Barbourville Kentucky. My numbers were much better during that time Haha!

Forget the every day deadlifts.

An over-trained back sucks.

Power cleans are the program as a DE method deadlift.

I feel your pain. I'm slowly working back to the old territory as well. Except this time with much better form and higher standards.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    Forget the every day deadlifts.

An over-trained back sucks.

Power cleans are the program as a DE method deadlift.
    I am doing deadlifts 3x a week though until I establish my deadlift well enough ahead of my squat. Most likely no more then 2 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    I feel your pain. I'm slowly working back to the old territory as well. Except this time with much better form and higher standards.
    I know just how you feel. Form and safety right now to me is top priority. You can't make progress if you are injured!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam021187 View Post
    I am doing deadlifts 3x a week though until I establish my deadlift well enough ahead of my squat. Most likely no more then 2 weeks or so.
    What I'm saying is, if you intend to add 5 lbs to the deadlift 3 times a week, how is that different from adding 15 pounds, once a week, or 10 pounds every second workout?

Everyone except you says don't deadlift too often. There's a reason.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    What I'm saying is, if you intend to add 5 lbs to the deadlift 3 times a week, how is that different from adding 15 pounds, once a week, or 10 pounds every second workout?

Everyone except you says don't deadlift too often. There's a reason.
    I have only did deadlifts 4 different days on nonconsecutive weeks because of my previous weight room limitations.. I am pretty sure that I fall into the category of benefitting from the novice effect when I do deadlifts, and it wont hurt to do them for 6 workouts before weight gets heavy I cut there days down. If you had read the book you would know that Rip suggests starting out with deadlifts every day for the first few weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast