starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YASSL: Yet Another Starting Strength Log

Post YASSL: Yet Another Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Alright. I've been at this for 3-4 weeks now. This week (June 11th) will be my third week of regular gym time.

I'm 28, male, 192lb (86kg), 5'10" (178cm). I'm mostly following SS program except I end with a couple sets of light power cleans. Two weeks in trying to do them and they still feel atrocious.

My OHP is pretty sad as well. I started off more with a push press, it seems, and "pressing" 95lb in the first week. But, as my technique improved, the number has went down.
    Last edited by trick_ster; 06-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.

(Weight x number of sets; with standard reps: 3 for power clean, 5 for everything else)
    Squat: 155lb x 3
    DL: 185lb x 1
    BP: 95lb x 3
    PC: 65lb x 1
    OHP 65lb x 2

Squats were ok. A bit of a "hip wobble" at higher weights and wasn't low enough on a few reps in the last set.

DL was fine; probably could've done 205lb.

BPs weren't crisp: the bar wondered, I had issues getting a good grip which led to sharp pain in the right wrist on the last set.

PC felt ok with just the bar but with extra 20lb, I'm pretty sure I had to pull the bar up a bit to rack.
    Last edited by trick_ster; 06-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

SQ: 165 x 3
    DL: 195 x 1
    OHP: 75 x 3
    PC: 65 x 2

Squats were ok. I had a tendency to lean forward during the work sets and felt a bit of pressure in my left knee but overall the form felt decent.

Deadlifts were alright; need to re-read the deadlift chapter.

OHP was terrible. I barely managed all three sets. At the end of a set, I have a tendency to lock the left side out first and then press right arm into place. It looks sort of like this : \_o_> => \_o_/. Also, ohe way down I tend to lean back too much or make a C with the bar -- all to avoid hitting my face. Maybe I should try working out without glasses. As with bench press, I have issues getting a proper grip but I think I figured it out.

Power cleans were terrible. I think I'll give up one them until I can find someone to teach me how to do them properly.

At the beginning, holding the bar during squats would stretch out my upper arm and shoulder a lot so I've been working on shoulder mobility on the off days. Shoulders feel much better now during squats. I also suspect that this stretching sabotages pressing afterwards. In the first couple workouts I would alternate pressing and squatting since the weights were very similar and it worked much better. I think I'll try it again.

As for goals, on Friday I should have a 205 deadlift and by the end of the month -- 200+ squat.

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    I'm 28, male, weighing about 192lb (86kg).
    Height? 86kg at 5' 5" is a different matter from 6' 5".

If possible, could you please edit the top post with this info?

Squats were ok. I had a tendency to lean forward during the work sets and felt a bit of pressure in my left knee but overall the form felt decent.
    Sounds like you need to video squat, press and power cleans IMO. Pressure on the knee in particular is a cause for concern.
    Last edited by slowjoe; 06-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Hi slowjoe! You're right, form check is in order.

The knee thing felt transient: it was feeling funny before the workout and didn't get worse.

Hi slowjoe! You're right, form check is in order.

The knee thing felt transient: it was feeling funny before the workout and didn't get worse.
    Sure. But one of the things which fits the (vague) description is excessive strain of the tendons in the knee from your knee travelling forward too far. Do it repeatedly, and the tendon inflames. Once inflamed, you're looking at months or years for it to go away.

But it might something else.

Thanks for the explanation. You are probably right: I haven't been paying much attention, lately, to how far my knees go.

--
    Today was a pretty "blah" session. I did hit my target numbers (SQ: 175, BP: 100, DL: 205) but I didn't really focus well on my form, so things felt off.

During squats, I couldn't find the right spot for the bar and it kept digging into the spine of the scapula. It felt more comfortable to have it above but it was also less sturdy. On the upside, working on shoulder mobility for the past week is paying of. There's barely any discomfort in the bicep during squats and I have easier time keeping the wrist straight.

Bench pressing was ok. I still don't know what a proper bench feels like but the bar is touching the chest, forearms are vertical at the bottom, so it can't be that bad. Had some issues with wrist pain during warm up sets, but gripping the bar hard fixed that.

Deadlifts were sucky: I'm pretty sure I was rounding my lower back and the grip felt weak.

So, the plan is to review squat, press, and deadlift chapters and go again on Sunday without bumping the work set weights (Sq: 175, OHP: 75, DL: 205). Hopefully, I'll make videos as well.
    I'm switching to a Fri/Sun/Tue schedule because M/W/F interferes with work more and the gym tends to be more busy.

Sunday (June 17th)
    The sessions went ok. It was pretty busy so I had a hard time getting focused.
    SQ: 175lb. Barely managed the last set.
    OHP: 75lb. Less pathetic than last time but still difficult.
    DL: 205lb. Easy-peasy.

Tuesday (June 19th)
    Today was sad. Didn't get enough sleep last couple nights, was getting distracted by everything else in the gym.

SQ: 180lb. Didn't set up for the 2nd work set properly so bailed on the 3rd rep, but the 3rd work set went well. There's even video proof. Things I'm doing wrong:
    • Do not set my back correctly. In the first couple sessions, I thought I was overextending it, so I haven't been explicitly arching it. I need to start doing that now.
    • Look up on the way up. On the work sets, I'd get stuck half way up, realize that I'm starting in the mirror, look down and drive the rest of the way up.
    • Worry about the weight too much.

BP: 105lb. This was an easy. 115 or 120 would've been a better choice. However, I couldn't get a good grip and the bar wondered a bit during the work sets.

PC: 70lb. First workout with power cleans. They feel clunky but there wasn't as much (or any) jump back and the bar mostly ended up where it needs to be.

Next up: lots of sleep, SQ - 185lb (should be doable), OHP - 80lb, DL - 215lb.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday (June 22)
    Today was meh. The lower back has been "weird" all week, not painful but tense and getting fatigued. Today it felt alright so I figured I'd go. It was very sore by the end. Also the gym was hot which didn't help things.
    SQ: 185lb. Couldn't do five reps so ended up with 4,3,3. Also, I bend forward a bit when racking the bar instead of just walking straight until hitting the uprights. I should stop doing that.
    OHP. 80lb. Difficult but manageable. I have a tendency to drive the bar up asymmetrically: left side is locked out before the right side.
    DL: Err, 215lb, I think, I had to use metric plates and convert from pounds. I'm bad at that when tired. The grip was slipping and I had to reset after 3 reps but it was alright. I think I'll go easy with next DL.

Next session: SQ - 185lb, BP - 110lb, PC - 75lb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast