starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WFAC Seminar recaps

Default WFAC Seminar recaps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Each time I do these, I try to think of how to change things up. Giving thanks to the hosts and calling out a few people and things about each of these weekends gets predictable. So here we go, time to change things up a bit. You can let me know if it works.

Stand by...

jp

Default On Squats

Throughout my time coaching with Rip and Stef, I've heard many different reasons as to why someone can't low bar back squat. We've had a few older trainees who took a few more warm up sets to hit the low bar position but rarely (none comes to mind but I won't say never) is it not done. This weekend, we had a very diverse group of body types; ages; and number of limbs to deal with.

And not one person was unable to hit a low bar squat position all morning. We had Bill who, at 6'6", has been one of our tallest attendees and Andy (I don't know how tall he is but he's a ways away from 6'6".) We had a very large (that's all I'm saying on that) John and a very not large Colin (that's all I'm saying on that.) All hit the low bar squat, at full depth just fine.

We've all heard many excuses as to why someone can't low bar and in many rare (heh) cases, these folks are right. But if we let our lifters tell us right off that bat that they're too big; or too small; or too tall; or too whatever so they can't put themselves in that position...well then we're not very good coaches are we? Are you?

Rip discusses at length why the LBBS is superior for general strength training (more muscle mass, longer range of motion, etc.) There is also extensive conversation on the Biomechanics of the LBBS and why they are not only safe, but necessary in avoiding injury. Dave Wood, one of our friends from the DFW area who at 57 has started squatting with this method remarked that this is the first time he's ever performed squats without knee and back pain. There ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jep6095; 06-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.

I like this write-up.

But I've also enjoyed the "Page Six" style write-ups as well.

Thanks Spar. More to come.

However; Whities reminded me of his high bar squat used because of the use of his Manta Ray. Yes. But I reminded him of his torso leaning over as much as possible; his stance allowing his knees to push themselves out; his hitting the bottom and using hip drive to get himself back up. All standard movements of the LBBS AND meets the criteria of an effective, functional squat.

jp

Thaks for posting these photos. I think I have to remember to lean more forward. How quickly we geezers forget.

Default On Pressing

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the pressing this weekend. Everyone worked hard at a beginning level of working the Olympic Press style and John actually rocked it's shit. I'm sorry to him that I didn't get a video of it.

The pressing platforms move quickly and people are forced to adjust their bad habits to a more efficient lift. The worst of all press fuck-ups are those of you who come to us with this idea of "head through the window." The first time someone uses that cue on my platform, they are eviscerated to nothing. Well, not really. But ask yourself next time some bonehead, weekend certified personal trainer with little to no experience tells you to shoot your "head through" some imaginary window cranking your neck away from the rest of your spine while you are loaded overhead why this is useful. We had two people on my platform alone with this issue and thankfully they fixed it. JHMFC people, start asking more from the person who trains you.

The bench platform is also one that goes pretty quickly and it was a lot of fun for me to have two people that compete in a different style adjust to teach our position items and cue the lift differently. That fact that these are two very smart and well developed coaches (Andy and Sean) plays into that but their hard work and openess to another style was much appreciated.

Like I said, no pressing pictures but here are some random extras.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    Each time I do these, I try to think of how to change things up. Giving thanks to the hosts and calling out a few people and things about each of these weekends gets predictable. So here we go, time to change things up a bit. You can let me know if it works.

Stand by...

jp

In that case, I'll take the predictable reins.

To start off as a broken record, for those who are on the fence about attending a seminar, GO. The caliber of coaching from Rip and crew (in the case of this seminar, Steve, Juli, Stef, Wolf, and Matt) is simply unparalleled.

Now, you may be saying: "But I don't lift much, and I don't coach anyone, so I'm not sure it's for me." Well, I have never coached anyone either, my lifts are not impressive (some were absolute train wrecks when I first got there--I'm sure Juli will cover this on the power clean segment), and I'm a registered Democrat. I went and did more for my lifting in three days than I have in three months, and I can confidently go to the gym shortly knowing exactly how a proper lift should feel. Not only that, but I feel I can at least give someone a good start on how to properly perform all five lifts. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this, either.

So--a tremendous thanks to our gracious hosts, and a tremendous thanks for the inimitable coaching. I expect to see you all at another seminar in the future. (But for y'all's sanity, I'll try to make it at least a year from now.)

Default On Pulling

We had a few people in the crowd ready to discuss the Starting Strength pulling methods. Whether or not they were convinced that pulling in a straight, vertical line is most efficient is really up to them. So those of you below waiting for a report on any make believe fireworks will be disappointed.

Since I'm the one writing this, I get to discuss one of the most unique deadlift platforms I've had in four years. There were a couple of people who have been training this method for a while and with a few tweaks, did very well lifting and coaching. I had a highly experienced weightlifter (Rachel of course), and a man with one arm (Whities of course.) Now, I've stayed away from a lot of the back and forth on the forum with Rachel because I wanted to meet her on her own merits.

So I was not surprised when she did a very good job at being coached through the deadlift portion of the day. Rachel was open and coachable and I very much appreciated the hard work by all. It was different for her to train with a standard bar rather than a women's bar but she adjusted well and we have a great picture of her pulling with her hips higher than she's used to and her shoulders over the bar.

Then we had Whities who pulled at first in his standard sumo stance but adjusted to a conventional style deadlift. He's also going to try out the Monster Multi Strap from Spudinc. that many Strongman use after blowing out a bicep (ok, there's other uses for it but I really hate tire flips that cause bicep tears.) Whities did a great job coaching and his lifting was, well, without being melodramatic...inspirational. To say the least.

We have some great deadlift pictures. Everyone worked hard at keeping to a simple teaching method used on the platforms. There were some who really struggled at keeping their back locked in extension at lighter weights than they normally do for reps. This may indicate a habit of bouncing deadlifts off the floor. Don't do that. Do the work to get strong. That's why you came, right?

Juli,

Thanks for the kind words. I think I wouldn't mind that pulling technique as much if my arms were a bit longer so I could stay a little less horizontal. But nonetheless, knowledge is power, and I'm glad I know the cues now to teach this style of deadlift in the event anyone walks through our door interested to learn. As for me, I'm still playing with positions to see what I like best. I suspect I'll end up somewhere in the middle between the two.

starting strength coach development program
    For the record, I wasn't hoping or hopping for fireworks. Though I was interested in seeing the debate, more Firing Line than Thunder Dome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast