starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into it

Default Getting back into it

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought I would go ahead and start a log, partly to stay motivated, partly to contribute to the community, and hopefully to motivate some other dude like myself just getting started or getting back into it.

BACKGROUND
    I "worked out" in college, without much of a plan or goals. Just trying to get bigger and stronger. The highlight was bench pressing 225 for a triple at a body weight of 170. My height is 5'8". We didn't really do squats or deadlifts, mostly because we knew enough that we didn't know how to do them properly, and the "safety" of the machines was compelling.

Fast forward to two year ago, and I had plumped up to 213. Work life and family life put a damper on pretty much all physical activities, and I finally realized that I was a porker and no longer a spring chicken. First up a diet change. No more soda, portion control, less dessert, and no more late night snacking on junk food. About 18 months later and I got down to 177lb. I also started doing push ups and chin ups during that time as well. My plan was start running this year, but with a history of knee pain, I knew that some leg strengthening would be a good idea before starting the couch to 5k plan. That journey led me here, via the Stronglifts program. Now I'm hooked on lifting again. I've always found running to be boring and lifting to be fun.

I've been doing a starting strength/stronglifts hybrid program for about 2 months now. I started out with just the bar and 5 sets across. This worked out great for me, as I work out by myself in my garage, and so it gave me time to learn the exercises correctly (from the Starting strength book - kindle version) and to build some confidence that I wasn't going to hurt myself before piling the weight on. Plus I was hoping to avoid the paralyzing soreness that has always accompanied my return to lifting. Even just doing the empty bar exercises provided some soreness (thankfully not debilatating), so I figured it must be doing something good AND that I was much, MUCH, weaker than I thought I was. Nothing like the brutal truth of gravity.

My strength goals are as follows.
    Bench press - 225
    Squats - 300
    Deadlift - was 300 (but after reading the forums here) now it's 400.
    Overhead press - 135
    I'm not doing the power cleans, as I'm doing the barbell rows for now.
    one arm pushup (I used to be able to do these)
    one arm chin up (I thought these were impossible until only recently, thanks alot youtube)

My current status,
    My weight has gone up to 188 lbs, while my waist has stayed the same. I don't care what the weight is, but I'm not interested in getting chubby in the waist again, and honestly I'd love to fit in my 32" pants, but I'm happy that I can wear my 34" again.

All of these are now challenging to complete.
    Squat 3x5 at 225
    Bench press 3x5 at 180
    Over head press 3x5 at 102.5
    Deadlift 1x5 at 250 (still double overhand group, no chalk, woohoo!)
    Barbell row 3x5 at 150
    Weighted Chins 3x5 at 27.5 pounds

I just bought a 3" single buckle belt from Best Belts. They are very nice to work with as I sent them a whole bunch of questions and they responded each time relatively quickly and informatively. I should get the belt first week in July. I was going to try and do everything completely raw as I'm looking for functional everyday strength without having to gear up. However, I've read alot about that, and as the weight gets higher I welcome the safety that the belt provides, and apparently it will help my abs get stronger (still not sure I believe that), but I'll "use the damn belt" on my work sets.

Everything is still progressing linearly and I think I'm almost ready to start microloading the bench. I'll see how 185 feels tomorrow.

For those of you working out at home, I strongly recommend you weigh your equipment. The first bar I had weighed 35 lbs. I gave that one away as it had some grooves where the weights go and it was a pain in the arse to slide the weights on and off the bar. The current bar I have weighs 41.8 lbs. Which has been adjusted to 45lbs thanks to the Fastenal washers. I had 45lb plates that ranged from 44.6 to 50.7lbs!! When in doubt measure. Otherwise your microloading may not go exactly as planned.

Wow, that turned out be alot longer than I expected. Congrats if you made it all the way through...

Can't wait for the end of next month, where I should be beating my friend on everything except bench, who swears by the smith machine, lifting straps, knee wraps, and the supplement Craze. He's normally a smart objective guy, but he turns into an idiot about this stuff. It should be an eye opener when I shoot by him.

--Bob

I had to split this workout into two sessions last night, because the family got home from day care/work before I was done.

Age 36
    Body weight 189
    Body fat 23.8%
    Squats 3x5 at 230. These were pretty f'in hard. But at least the fear of blacking out between reps was less of an issue today. On Monday, I kept thinking just fall foward to make sure the pins catch the bar. I tried to keep my big breather lower in my gut and take a slightly smaller breath between reps and that may have helped. Not sure if the belt will help with that or not after it arrives and I start using it.
    Bench 3x5 at 185. First set was easy. Last rep of the last set was redonkulous, but it went up. I was going to start to microload with 2.5 pound jumps, but then I realized I modified my bar this weekend to weigh 45 pounds instead of 42, so that was an actual 8 lb jump over last time. I'll shoot for another 5 on Monday and say that I can bench press my body weight for reps.

3 hour break before doing rows. 3x5 at 155.
    I did one double overhand static hang for 10 seconds at 225. I was going to do 325 again, but I was in a hurry and just wasn't feeling it, so i called it a night.

I think I may start walking during lunch on my off days again. Pants felt a little tight this morning...

Body weight 190

Squats 3x5 at 235. The first set was hard. The second was not, so I decided to wear a cheap-o lifting belt I had obtained prior to reading Mark's book and learning how a belt is supposed to look and work. Honestly, I don't think it did much of anything (maybe not surprising given the design). The last rep of the last set was really hard which I think was because I lost some tightness in the hole and totally unrelated to the presence of the belt.

Overhead press 3x5 at 105. First two sets were relatively easy. The last set was extremely hard, somehow I wasn't getting a good drive when starting each rep. Really had to grind out that last rep, but I got it.

Deadlift 1x5 at 265. Double overhand grip, no chalk, no straps. no problem! I did one additional rep with a mixed grip, just to see how it felt. Not too awkward. I'm hoping to make it to at least 315 with the double overhand.

I'm going to enjoy my rest this weekend...

Forgot about the weighted chins! 3 sets of 5 with 30lbs added.

Just show up without fail Cavey, and you'll hit your goals lickity split.

A log is helpful in many different ways.
    Last edited by Oldster; 06-30-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks! For some reason I thought the linear progression/novice gains part was going to be "easy" (i.e. always having a rep or two in the tank). I just keep plugging along, and haven't missed a rep yet. I've got a couple of trips coming up so I'm sure that will complicated things.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Thanks! For some reason I thought the linear progression/novice gains part was going to be "easy" (i.e. always having a rep or two in the tank). I just keep plugging along, and haven't missed a rep yet. I've got a couple of trips coming up so I'm sure that will complicated things.
    Your novice gains will be the quickest gains you ever make. After that it becomes a game of trying to figure out what is next that will add to our gains. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Body weight 191.0
    Body fat 23.2%

Squat 240 1x4 Pretty bummed that I only got 4 reps on the 1st set. Then I went to 225 and got pinned immediately, so then I did a set of 205 for 5 and called it for squats because that was pretty hard. Notes (aka excuses), I walked 2.6 miles yesterday and 2.2 miles today during lunch. They were relatively leisurely with a 3mph pace on each. If walking is going to affect my recovery, then my body needs to get over that. More probably, I've been trying to get a little deeper in the hole and I think that extra inch made a HUGE difference. I'll try 240 again on Wednesday. I'm out all next week on business, so might as well go for it before taking a week off.

Bench 190 3x5. Pretty happy to have pulled this off especially since I bombed squats. Body weight bench press, check! These weren't easy, but there was never a doubt.

Barbell rows 160 3x5. I got all of these, but I think my form was sloppy. Felt like I was lifting up during the later reps in each set.

I didn't bother with any static hangs for grip training tonight. I was tired and a little bummed that squats were an epic fail and barbell rows were a mild fail.

Body weight 190.6
    Body fat 24.2%

Squat 240 3x5. I'm pretty stoked that I got this. I even double checked that I had the correct weight on the bar twice, because I had a couple of form issues that I was able to power through. Although it almost cost me the last rep on set 3. I have say that full body convulsions with 240lbs on your back stuck 1/2 way back up was alot more comical than I thought it would be.

Overhead press 107.5 3x5. This was heavy, with the last rep of the last set rivaling the last squat rep for ridiculousness. I locked it out, so it counts as much as the rest!

Deadlift 280 1x5. This felt heavy and easy at the same time. Double over hand grip, no chalk or straps. I think I may be most impressed with that. When I started two months ago, I could barely hold on to 135 for 10 seconds.

Weighted chins. 32.5 5, 5, 4 It was a toss up between which failed first grip or arms.

All in all, a great session!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post

All in all, a great session!
    Of that there is little doubt. Your enthusiasm is infectious!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast