starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blandricks log

Default Blandricks log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first log here. I did SL ages ago, but college made me a lazy bitch and I quit. I'm now in the Air Force, which means in a couple months I'll have to throw in some running and pushups, so that I'm not going into the test completely blindly =/

gonna put some basic stats here:
    hover around 160lbs
    5'6
    Last edited by blandrick; 07-20-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: stats

Did my first workout yesterday. Had an issue on squats though.

Squat
    45lb 2x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 3x5
    On my squat, something strange occured. I've had an issue for a while where if I pull my right knee to my chest, or bend over towards my right knee, or even squat down, I feel...I guess kind of a pinching in my hip socket area? I've had it before doing squats, actually doing high bar squats previously is what made me notice it. I went to the doctor, and he figured I just needed to work on mobility, and referred me to SS vol3, and to mobilitywod.com or some shit. (And in the military too! I was stunned.) Anyway, on my 2nd and 3rd work sets, after racking the bar, my right knee felt strange. I guess you could say that it felt weak? I'm not really sure how to describe it. It didn't feel like it was structurally weak, I didn't feel as though I was going to collapse on it, but it still felt weak. This is why I am now concerned. I'm going to film my next squat workout so that I can post a form check and see if maybe it's from me doing something wrong.

Press
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 3x5
    Easier than I expected it to be. Should be able to make decent progress starting at this weight. Probably soon will be tasting Nike.

Deadlift
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x5
    The first military gym I've ever seen with anything remotely resembling bumper plates! We have 10s the size of a 45. It's awesome. I don't know that they're true bumper plates, the 45s don't look wide enough, and they're all black but everyone treats them as such anyway.

Also shot the basketball around for like 20 minutes, because I'm from Kentucky and we love that shit in Kentucky, and also because apparently to not have the court full of obnoxious assholes requires going at 0700 on a Sunday. I took advantage of that, and will continue to do so when I have an opportunity.

Squats
    45lb 2x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x2
    100lb 3x5
    At first, I was really feeling that weird hip thing. I decided I'd try to move my feet in like an inch on each side, and it seemed to help. On some reps I could still feel it, but it was more like "lol, that thing" instead of "shit thats worrisome"

Bench
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 3x5
    I think I finally got proper leg drive on the last set, because it seemed nearly as light as the warmup set. It was a rather nifty feeling.

Deadlift
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x2
    100lb 1x5
    I need to work on these. I'm going to have to reread the deadlift chapter in particular, to make sure I at least have the cues correct. Going down never feels right to me.

I WAS going to post form vids, but apparently even though I watched them after the fact at the gym, they didn't save on her damn camera's memory card. And she won't let me buy her a fucking new one. Why own something that doesn't work?
    Last edited by blandrick; 07-03-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Squat
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x2
    105lb 3x5
    I wish I had someone present who I knew was knowledgeable enough to tell me if I'm doing this shit right. I still haven't figured out the wife's camera, so no form vids yet. But that fucking hip issue seems to be even worse now. It feels like the squat aggravates it, it continued to bother me during my press, and after the deadlift it seemed to have diminished, although it was still bothering me.

Press
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x1
    70lb 3x5
    These were pretty easy for a press. I've had much harder press attempts before.

Deadlift
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x5
    105lb 1x5
    Going down still feels weird, but they feel less awkward than they have previously. I'll keep reading the chapter and trying to fix the shit on my own until I can get a camera.

Then I ran a bit, because my wife wasn't done yet (she REFUSES to DTFP) did about half a mile in 4 minutes. That's roughly the pace I need to score an excellent on my PT test, so that's good.

Yet again, wife's camera fails me. I watched the vids after I shot them. They were there. Checked again when I got home, they were there. Plug the camera into the computer? They're FUCKING GONE. I AM FURIOUS RIGHT NOW.

Anyway...
    Squat
    45lb 2x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x2
    115 3x5
    These were pretty easy. Hip thing still bothering me, but I think I had been going too low, and had my stance too wide, so I was having to shove my knees out HELLA far. The hip pain was nowhere near as much of an issue this time as the time previous.

Deadlift
    95lb 1x5
    115lb 1x5
    These felt pretty good. I all but dragged the bar along my legs, in that I could feel the bar brushing the hairs on my legs but I wasn't removing skin either. Good stuff. Did these second cause the benches were taken.

Bench
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 3x5
    Went up a bunch on these because I realized that 65/70lbs was too fucking light. I can increase in 5lb increments from here and I should make good progress. I had to work at these, but I was nowhere near failure. If I fail on bench anytime in the next 3-4 weeks I'm blaming nutrition.

Chins
    bw 5,1
    Did these cause I had a ton of energy when I got done. It's been a while since I could do 5 chinups in a row, so that means I've already gotten a little stronger, since I haven't even been doing any chins. Pretty cool shit.

Didn't even try to film today. Fed up with her camera. Gonna try to borrow one soon.

Squat
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x3
    115 1x2
    125 3x5
    Good set. I need to film them, I think my hip drive is suspect, but they went up easy enough. Looking forward to getting to big plates next time.

Press
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x3
    75lb 3x5
    These were heavy. I don't know if it's nutrition, rest, or what. Regardless, I got all the sets, so that makes me super happy.

Deadlift
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x3
    115lb 1x2
    125lb 1x5
    These felt decent. I think these are really coming together. These will definitely be 10lb increases longer than my squat will.

Pullups
    3/2
    Not too bad. Satisfied with that, especially after a fairly hard last couple of press reps.

Got a lifting buddy now! For a few months anyway. He's deployed here with me so he'll have to leave after a while, I believe in October. But such is military life. This did slow down my workout as I was helping him with form and such. I'm certainly not the greatest coach, but I feel like I did alright. I did have him do high bar squats because his shoulders really couldn't handle the low bar. Hopefully we can get decently strong together before he leaves.

Squats
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x3
    115 1x2
    135 3x5
    Big plates!! I almost lost my balance on one rep while locking out, but I kept it. I also discovered that in what I call the "curlbro room" they've added a POWER RACK right next to the smith machine! This now means that I can use bars with bumpers in one room for clean when I get to it, and also for DL, while having a rack with safeties for my squat. Pretty damn stoked about this.

Bench
    45lb 1x5
    65lb 1x5
    95lbx1
    100 3x5
    These felt good, I think having a handoff made these much easier than my 95lbs felt without a handoff.

Deadlift
    65lb 1x5
    95lb 1x5
    115lb 1x3
    135lb 1x5
    Again, BIG PLATES! Pretty happy with these. They feel good, no lightly nagging lower back things like I felt in the first few sessions.

Chinups
    bw 5/3/2
    Quite happy with that. Decent improvement from last time.

Squats
    45 1x5
    65 1x5
    95 1x3
    115 1x2
    135 1x1
    145 3x5
    These felt easier than expected. Did some foam rolling before the gym, which I have been neglecting. It seemed to help that weird hip thing I have.

Press
    45 1x5
    65 1x3
    75 1x1
    80 3x5
    This last set was pretty heavy. I was actually concerned before I did the last set that I would fail. The MAJCOM Command Chief was working out next to me, I certainly didn't want to fail and look stupid in front of him. Felt good though to be doing real lifts while he did weird arm lift things with 5lb plates, and upright rows in the smith machine.

Deadlift
    65 1x5
    95 1x5
    115 1x3
    135 1x1
    145 1x5
    I apparently don't know how to go down. I need to figure out a way to film, or at least someone who knows how to deadlift to critique/coach me. These didn't feel terribly heavy, although they feel heavier than the squats do.

Pullups
    4/3/2 These are the thing that are the coolest to me. I'm barely training them at all, and I'm getting stronger at them. It speaks volumes for this type of training.

Keep at it bro. When you say you don't know how to go down...do you mean returning the weight to the floor or in the set-up? Anthony Davis has made it on to the Olympic team. If I remember right you are a CAT fan right?

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah! I'm excited about that. And I mean in returning the weight to the floor. I know "how" to go down, but I have no idea if I'm doing it right because it feels damn awkward.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast