Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alissa's Log

Default Alissa's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 5' 3"
    Weight: 114 lbs

My sister is the infamous Gillian Ward (formerly Mounsey), so I know coming into this community that I have a lot to live up to. Although, theoretically, we should have the same genes, I am nowhere near as strong as her...nor as competitive. (If I were, we may have killed each other growing up.) She has been the greatest inspiration, mentor and supporter of mine over the years and I hope I can do the Mounsey name some justice with my training log.

Gillian introduced me to weightlifting in 1999 and I instantly fell in love with lifting and being strong. I weight trained for the next 12 years with a bodybuilder mentality of body part training. In December 2011, I was introduced to Starting Strength, once again, by Gillian. I followed the linear progression program for a few weeks alone in my local gym. Then, I got some lifting shoes, a belt and spent a few more weeks doing private sessions with a lifting coach. Unfortunately, I could not financially afford to continue privates and it was difficult to make gains training alone in a gym that was not necessarily conducive to powerlifting. In April I joined in the middle of a Strength Cycle at Crossfit South Brooklyn and have been training there ever since. I switched from linear progression to Texas Method in May.

Yesterday was my second CF Total and these were my numbers:
    Squat: 200 lbs
    Press: 90 lbs
    Deadlift 230 lbs

My max bench done about a week ago was 140 lbs and I'm hoping to break that tomorrow night.

My power cleans suck. This is the one movement I never did (in any way, shape or form) before Starting Strength. The explosiveness really scares me. I'm still getting used to the hook grip and have been cutting open my hands on the bar. My max weight is 105 for 3 reps...never tried a 1RM, but it's probably pretty close to 105 since I start to mentally freak out.

Welcome sis. I'm so glad that you decided to start a log here. I'm very proud of you and of all of your hard work and accomplishments. It's really cool that we get to share this in common.

You are one strong "Bird". You have more heart and fierce determination than anyone that I know.

For those of you that don't know Alissa, my lifelong nickname for her is Bird. Guessing that one of us will explain it soon.

Bird, you are MY inspiration!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Hello :-) Your log is going to be so cool!

Great meeting you last night, and watching you fight up those squats and presses was awesome. Welcome to the forum!!

Yea! Welcome to the forum Alissa.

Way to be, sis!

Bird, get your butt down to North Carolina for a week and I'll teach you how to power clean

Thanks for all the support! I will definitely try to come down to NC during the summer! I heard Delta is going to start flying direct from NYC to Jacksonville so that should make getting back and forth much easier.

Wolf - it was nice to meet you too. Yeah, that was some struggle last night.
    Last edited by Alissa Mounsey; 07-12-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
    I heard Delta is going to start flying direct from NYC to Jacksonville so that should make getting back and forth much easier.
    I don't believe this for a second. Jacksonville, FLORIDA, maybe, back woods, nowhere, Jacksonville, NORTH CAROLINA? No Way.

starting strength coach development program
    Very nice numbers from someone not very competative! I look forward to keeping track of your progress.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast