starting strength gym

Thread: Daniel and the TM

Default Daniel and the TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 23 and I have been working out for roughly 5 years. When I was 18, I weighed 135 lbs (I'm 5' 9") and my uncle got me into a body building routine with him. You know, the 1 body part a day kind of thing. And to warm up we ran 2 miles before workout. Despite my uncle being a surprisingly big guy, I'm a surprisingly small guy, and suffice to say, I didn't have much progress (I didn't eat much of anything). Fast forward 4 and 1/2 years of dicking around at the gym. I'm 5' 9" and 140 lbs and I discover Starting Strength. I start the program, but I still don't eat enough.

The first few months my Squats go from 135 lbs to 185 lbs (3x5), my Bench goes from 95 lbs to 135 lbs (3x5), my Deadlift goes from 135 lbs to 200 lbs (1x5), my Press goes from 65 lbs to 95 lbs (3x5), I don't powerclean and I don't gain any weight.

I decide to get serious, ramp up my eating, and gain 10 lbs (now at 150 lbs), and Squats get to 205 (3x5), Bench 150 lbs (3x5), Deadlift 225 (1x5), Press 105 (3x5), I start Powercleans and get to 135 lbs (5x3). My Squats get to hard and I can only manage to do them once a week, so I decided to go on to the Texas Method (justified or not, as most people seem to have MUCH high results from SS, maybe I still didn't eat enough.)

Without too many details and writing down all recovery days...

I start on July 9: 153lbs. Squat 185 (5x5), Press 90 (5x5), Deadlift 245 (1x5)
    July 13: 158 lbs Squat 235 (1RM), Press 115 (1RM), Power Cleans 140 (5x3)
    July 16: 159 lbs Squat 190 (5x5), Bench 140 (5x5), Deadlift 250 (1x5)
    July 20: 163 lbs Squat 250 (1RM), Bench 185 (1RM), Power Clean 140 (5x3)
    July 23: 161 lbs Squat 205 (5x5), Press 95 (5x5), Deadlift 255(1x5)
    July 27: 164 lbs Squat 265 (1RM), Press 120 (1RM), Power Clean 145 (5x3)

3 Weeks in, I've gained 11 lbs, and significantly increased my squat. Not bad. (I think I need to rework my Power clean however, bruising on my collar bone seems to indicate improper form).

I will start my log today, Monday July 30th and give the detail after my workout.

Goals:

Squat 315 (1x5)
    Deadlift 315 (probably more) (1x5)
    Bench Press 225 (1x5)
    Press 135 (1x5)
    Last edited by Daniel Wood; 07-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.

You're too light still and you really should have kept on with SS. This means you need to eat more.

You are probably right. It's very hard for me to eat though, I eat to the point of almost puking several times a day, but couldn't manage to recover my squats fast enough to seem to make it work. Just doing this little change in program I've managed to gain 11 lbs which is a very big improvement over the gains I were making. I'm NDTFP right? I will take your advice and I will try and do SS if I cease to make significant gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Wood View Post
    You are probably right. It's very hard for me to eat though, I eat to the point of almost puking several times a day, but couldn't manage to recover my squats fast enough to seem to make it work. Just doing this little change in program I've managed to gain 11 lbs which is a very big improvement over the gains I were making. I'm NDTFP right? I will take your advice and I will try and do SS if I cease to make significant gains.
    Are your drinking the milk? what sort of stuff do you usually eat?

My average day goes something like: Wake up, make 2 eggs with toast, drink weight gainer~850 calories, eat pb&j, eat lunch (depends, chicken with rice, grilled cheese, fish, sometimes hot dogs), eat pb&j, eat dinner (steak, hamburger, pot roast, spaghetti with meatballs, other things), eat pb&j, drink weight gainer.

I do drink the milk, I'm not sure how many calories all that is, I just eat till alittle after I can't eat anymore ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Wood View Post
    My average day goes something like: Wake up, make 2 eggs with toast, drink weight gainer~850 calories, eat pb&j, eat lunch (depends, chicken with rice, grilled cheese, fish, sometimes hot dogs), eat pb&j, eat dinner (steak, hamburger, pot roast, spaghetti with meatballs, other things), eat pb&j, drink weight gainer.

I do drink the milk, I'm not sure how many calories all that is, I just eat till alittle after I can't eat anymore ha.
    I'd skip the weight gainer and start with half a GOMAD and see if you start gaining about 1 lb per week.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, you've already inspired me to try and just do SS again

I'll just resume TM next week if it happens that my body doesn't recover. Maybe I'll give myself an extra hour of sleep or something.