starting strength gym

Thread: Canadia eh? recap

Default Canadia eh? recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Our return to Canadia was both eventful and uneventful at the same time. Eventful in that we came for a Starting Strength event, duh. Uneventful in that there was no drama getting in or out as has happened in the past. In fact, the arrival was so smooth that we started the weekend with a nice visit to The Beer Store; LCBO for a Cuban Rum stop and an attempt to buy some decent bourbon in Canadia (Bwahahahhaa); and an awesome meal at a Windsor pub. Our first (and only) serving of poutine was here and it didn’t disappoint. How do you Canadian’s not eat this every day?

We hit Mississauga in the wee hours and ate at Peter’s on Eglinton for brunch the next day. Now, if you remember correctly, last time we were here Rip was one day into his heel injury so meals and such of that weekend are a bit blurry due to fatigue and pain. At first he didn’t recall Peter’s until we sat down and he saw some of the sandwiches. Pastrami stacked as big as Steve’s head just to start. It set the bar high for the rest of the weekend and the fact that we didn’t have time to return was very sad.

Rachel and Alex picked up where they left off last year and spoiled us rotten. Alex knew that sour cherry’s were Rip’s favorite and Rachel has a sour cherry tree in her front yard. Even though we missed the prime harvest, she made Rip a sour cherry cheesecake that was out of this world. We munched on it all weekend long. Thanks also to Alex for hosting us, we look forward to the next time when we can see the new digs. Thanks again to Rachel for serving as the grill master Sunday evening. OH! We owe you wine Alex. Another Canadia constant is spending time with our good friend Carmen Buchman. Thanks Carm for stopping by for dinner, be careful on that motorcycle, eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just wanted to say thanks so much for doing a Seminar in Canada. Everyone was super nice and making everyone participate on the platform was huge. I went into it wanting to perfect my squat form and I left sunday evening with so much more.

I had so much going through my head that night that I actually wrote some notes down with my thoughts of the weekend. When I get home from work I'll post them up.
    Bottom line: SS Seminar is like the book on steroids. Whether you want to clean up your own technique or learn to coach others you will not leave disappointed.

There were many lifters this weekend that, with minor tweaks, improved their lifts considerably. There were a few that struggled with drastically different styles. They worked hard, but it's a lesson for future attendees. Even if your style of lifting is very different, just come with an open mind and a willingness to try these out and make a decision after the weekend what works for you. When you attend a seminar, it is assumed that you have at least read the book and have some barbell experience. This means that to be coached, even with a different style, shouldn't be out of your realm of comfort.

This was one of the nicer Canadia crowds. Everyone was friendly and worked hard all weekend. Many of you had great input and a few of you did very well in spite of the fact that you train on your own in your garage, or small gym. We also had a high rate of teachers in the group, what's up with that? Keep an eye out for more Starting Strength events at Element CrossFit. Alex is one of our own coaches and will be getting some training camps going. Here are some more pictures from the weekend. (I like the one of Rip and Corrie. It looks like Corrie is giving him a headache.) Heeeheee.

You guys know I'm a sucker for a fun T-shirt and the Canadians didn't disappoint. Between Omar and Greg, they could have carried the cool t-shirt thread on their own. But a few others piped in.

Here's a few more...

Haha wow, what timing on that picture. Thanks a lot :P

With so much going through my head it took me a few hours to fall asleep on Friday and Saturday night but on Sunday night I was able to write some random thoughts down before I passed out from exhaustion.
    Here they are in no particular order.

My intention going into the seminar was to clean up my form and get my squat to where I could continue adding weight. I feel confident that I'm going to make PRs in all of my lifts in the next few weeks and on top of that I know I'll be able to coach a few of my friends because of the way the seminar is taught. In fact I had my seminar binder out and I checked my notes before each of the lifts in my workout today. The notes I took with simple steps to coach each lift are one of the best things I got out of the whole weekend.

I lift alone in my basement and it was invaluable to get out and spend some time with so many like minded people. It was fun and I realized the attitude I have to have if I want to be successful. At one point during the warmups for powercleans I had 65lbs on the bar and when I cleaned it Mark walked by and said "that looks rather peaceful". I realized my mistake and from that set on every rep was treated like it was the most important rep.

Another thing I noticed was that my body felt great on Sunday night. I have had sore erectors for a month now and sitting in those fold out chairs on Friday night and Saturday morning was tough. After we squatted I felt great and I was a lot more comfortable. Sunday was even better.
    I also have had chronic knee pain for many years and had a small quad tendon tear about a month ago. On Sunday night my knee was in no pain at all despite the fact that I forgot to wear my wraps during powercleans which is the lift that usually makes it sore.
    Lifting with clean form for just one weekend has made me feel better than I have in a few months.

Anyways, it was really a great experience and I hope you guys come back to Canada next year.

Impressive display of pastrami and t-shirts. I'm bringing my tshirt A-Game to Milwaukee, so watch out Miller Country!

Corrie, sounds like you really got the full benefit of the weekend. That's awesome. You've been a major poster here since you started last fall and it's been cool watching your own lifting and knowledge progress via the boards. Now you can not only continue to get stronger, but like you said, be a better coach when you work with your friends on their lifts.

First off I just want to thank Matt, Alex, Stef, Steve, Juli and Rip for their help last weekend. Secondly, I want to thank those who were patient with me as their coach and/or their athlete. The whole weekend (from the seminar to the supper to the Q&A) was a great experience and definitely made the 40hr, 3,500km return trip worth it.

The sole reason I attended the seminar was for my own personal gain. I was extremely pleased that none of my lifts were a disaster (except for the hip drive on the press lol) and only required minor tweaks. I currently don't have any plans on coaching, but the knowledge I gained at the seminar is invaluable. I feel it will help me improve my own lifts and help guide the Mrs. with hers (even though I'll be breaking Rip's #1 rule of coaching).

I'm already looking forward to the next time I'm able to attend a seminar. Don't be afraid to ask the platform SS coaches questions, they're there to help and take every chance you can to draw on their knowledge and experience. To anyone considering attending a seminar, please do so with an opened mind and a desire to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I currently don't have any plans on coaching, but the knowledge I gained at the seminar is invaluable. I feel it will help me improve my own lifts and help guide the Mrs. with hers (even though I'll be breaking Rip's #1 rule of coaching).
    Uh oh! What's Rip's #1 rule of coaching....don't coach the wife?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BertBamboo View Post
    Uh oh! What's Rip's #1 rule of coaching....don't coach the wife?
    It's something like that...I believe it was "you can't train people you're fucking". This came up during the Q&A lol