starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C's Log

Default C's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/1/2012 545am @ the globo gym. Saw some funny stuff there - and all before the sun was totally up. Life is good.

32, F, 5'2", 130 lbs - *Note to self: I keep having to do the math to figure out what my age is cuz I keep forgetting? 30, 31, 32, 33..no wait um, shit...uh, too soon for that crap. Did that twice this week. wtf? yeah, it's 32.

More notes:
    5 months in from a partial ACL tear in my right knee, not 100% but, damn I can run and jump again...I hate running, but it's a necessity when you're a pedestrian in NYC. And recent tendonitis in my left shoulder. Doing stupid shit gets you hurt. Especially when you keep doing it, so I'm gonna cut that out and get strong instead.

Warm-up:
    12 block jog to the gym - I was late getting up, so this is a 2 fer 1, oh yeah, jogging sucks too.
    foam roll - especially the IT band of the bad knee, keeps it from popping. Usually.
    Squat mobility & BW squats to test the her out (knee was popping, foam rolled some more - popping stopped - yessss! me 1 - knee 0)

Squat
    2x5x45
    1x5x45
    1x3x65
    1x2x95
    1x5x105 - been almost a year since doing any straight strength training, testing the numbers
    3x5x115

Bench
    2x5x45
    1x5x55
    1x3x65
    1x2x75 - this was the workset - would have gone up if I had a spotter
    3x5x75
    *shoulder pain but nothing terrible. just the tendonitis, gets better everyday. definitely need to practice better form...something's off. shoulders don't wanna stay down.

Chins
    3x2 - unassisted which is a huge accomplishment for me. tried to do 3 per set but would get halfway up and struggle

More foam rolling, then home to ice the knee and eat some beef. Should ice the shoulder but don't know how to pull that off, I need more arms, knee wins. This lay-off got me WEAK. Looking forward to Friday. I can use an actual platform instead of squishy gym floors, pins that actually HOLD THE PLATE IN PLACE, and bumper plates, for a clutzy lass like me. Yeaya

Welcome to the SS training logs, Claudette! What is the popping in your knee - just a noise, or also pain? Looks like you do some of your workouts at a globo, and some at a lifting gym. I usually lift at a globo too; lots of fun, that. If by "fun," you mean watching other people do hilarious and stupid things and have to use subpar equipment.

Looking forward to following your progress here.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-01-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Welcome Claudette. Good luck with your training! I'm starting my fiancée on SS and she is comparable with all your numbers, albeit we are both 29. We will be following you logs for sure keep at it!

An ice pack held in place with an ace/self-adhesive bandage can get the job done for the shoulder.

For sure! I just bought and ice pack that has a velcro strap. Fit's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Welcome to the SS training logs, Claudette! What is the popping in your knee - just a noise, or also pain? Looks like you do some of your workouts at a globo, and some at a lifting gym. I usually lift at a globo too; lots of fun, that. If by "fun," you mean watching other people do hilarious and stupid things and have to use subpar equipment.

Looking forward to following your progress here.
    Thanks Wolf! And yes, that's EXACTLY what I mean. Ha! Good stuff. Oh, and no pain with the popping - it's a kind of rubbing in there. I went to a good Physical Therapist and we played around with what the heck it could be. Figured out it's a tight IT band. Seems to be taking over for the wanky ACL and gets overworked - it literally feels like I have rocks in there!. Rolling it out seems to loosen the band up - but holy hell, rolling it out is painful till it loosens up!
    Last edited by NYCClaud; 08-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemarco View Post
    Welcome Claudette. Good luck with your training! I'm starting my fiancée on SS and she is comparable with all your numbers, albeit we are both 29. We will be following you logs for sure keep at it!
    Awesome, thanks! I love when girls wanna get strong =).

8/3/12 Friday @ 5:15pm

Warmup
    500M row
    Foam roll
    Good mornings w/ bar 1 set of 10
    Leg swings
    Squats
    Set of 10 KBS 16kg

Squat
    2x5x45
    1x5x45
    1x3x65
    1x2x95
    1x4x125 - too soon - patience is not one of my strong points
    3x5x115 - frustrated - squats felt "awkward" today

Press
    2x5x45
    1x5x55
    1x3x65
    1x2x65
    3x5x70

Deadlifts
    2x5x65
    1x3x95
    1x2x125
    1x5x155 - too heavy, felt form was off. grip strength sucks.

Toes to bar (t2b) 1x7, 1x6, 1x7 (kipped the 7th rep on the last set)
    Ring pushups 1x6, 1x5, 1x5
    250M rows 1x1:05, 1x1:03, 1x1:04, 2x1:07 - rested as needed, but mostly bullshitted and rested too long

Felt I was using my left leg more for everything. Still don't feel FULL contraction in the right leg for somethings but only when I'm fatigued (as in at the end of a workout), by then it's too late. Focus on right leg more. Long one, this one. Remember, baby steps

8/5/12 11:15AM

Warmup
    Foam roll (lots of it on the right ITB/Quad)
    Jump rope for 5 min
    KBS
    Squat mobility
    Leg swings - these are the best. tight hips go away quickly with these.

Squat *
    2x5x45
    1x5x45
    1x3x65
    1x2x95
    3x5x120*

Bench*
    2x5x45
    1x5x55
    1x3x65
    1x2x75
    3x5x80*

Pullups....assisted blue band
    1x8
    1x7
    1x7
    Boo. I can do one dead hang. I will be doing that one and then 4 second negatives to failure. The band doesn't feel the same.

Ringdips light assistance band
    1x5
    1x5
    1x3 - i think i gave up on this one. probably coulda done another 1 or 2.. i hate ring dips almost as much as pullups.

One legged squats
    3x3 left leg
    2x3 right leg using a box for assistance (used my hand on the box to shift some of my weight off my leg...been doing this for a few days)
    2x2 right leg...NO ASSISTANCE. YEAY!! knee felt ok but not 100%...shifty popping is never good...but wasn't painful at all! Nothing too wierd going on afterwards either.

Foam roll

Short workout - 3x15x65lb hang power cleans/3x15 burpies. 6:21.

starting strength coach development program
    8/8/12 530am - feeling tight. didn't sleep much or great. didn't eat anything...no appetite - just black coffee. probably shoulda had something.

Warm-up:
    Walk to gym
    Foam Roll - ouch on the IT band
    a minute or two of jumprope
    squat mobility
    leg swings
    dynamic shoulder stuff

Squat
    2x5x45
    1x5x45
    1x3x65
    1x2x105
    2x5x125 felt wobbly on the last 2 reps. almost didn't get back up on the 5th rep.
    1x5x120 dammit just didn't feel right at 125. took it down 5.

i keep upping my lifts by 5 pounds every session. the pattern may be developing to 5 pounds every other session. I thought that b/c I was much stronger a few months ago that maybe i could get it back quickly. doesn't seem to be the case though.

Press
    2x5x45
    1x5x55
    1x3x65
    1x2x70
    3x3x70 damn. What was up? This was soo off. Gotta be form if i could move this with little problem 5 days ago.
    1x1x70...ya. its form...and some wanky thing in my left shoulder. gotta re-read on this. i think my set-up was off. Also, there's that pattern again.

Chins - i was scared to even try these seeing how my workout was going.
    1x3
    1x3
    1x2
    Whew! thank gooodness.

5 250M runs 2% incline 7.5,7.7,8.0,8.0,8.0 - 1:30 rest between

i feel like for a beginner i should be adding 5 pounds a session to my squat - especially since i had higher numbers only 6 months ago? guess not. upper body, i could understand being much slower as far as progress - but i REgressed in this session on the press. then again, it's most likely form as there's no room for error on the press. two steps forward, one back i guess

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast