Day 1 Volume

3- 5 Minute rests between each set. Usually closer to 3

Squat
    135# x 5
    225# x 5
    280# x 5 x 5

5 - 10 Minute rest

Bench-Press
    205# x 4 ( Real sad about this. My bench used to be much stronger. This wasn't a real set of 4 because I wasn't pulling the bar all the way down on some reps)
    Dropped the weight to 185#
    185# x 4 x 5

5 - 10 Minute rest

Barbell Hip-Thrust
    315# x 2 x 8 Reps

Also a grip workout: Cpt. of Crush 1.5- I did 15 reps in sets of 1,2,3. I took short rests but I had alot more in me so recovery should be ok

I use to do high bar squats with more weight than this. However, I use to bounce out of the hole like it was nothing. With these squats I don't bounce and I even pause sometimes. I am not sure if I want to fix that or not.

My hip-thrusts use to be in the 400s for 5s. My Bench Press was higher and I didn't even bench press. ( Edit: Got that out of the way so no more bitching)
    Last edited by Forthright; 08-18-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Day 2 Assistance

Body-weight was 208# which means I have put on about 5- 6 pounds over the past 2 weeks but it was healthy food so I feel pretty good actually.

Speed Dead-lift
    225# x 12 x 1 (1 Minute rests)

70# Pull-Ups: 2 x 5, 1 x 4, 3- 4 Minute rests

Strict Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 5
    A few extra reps twisted to each side
    and 5 Side Bends to each side with 88#

Never tried the Speed deadlifts before. They were bothering my elbows a little at first so I must have been off balance. I got a little fatigued but I was going faster at the end. Probably had that 5th pull-up on the 3rd set if I wanted it. Then I went for the hanging leg raises. I guess I was fresh today because I felt stronger than ever at those leg raises. I feel refreshed right now but my hamstrings are still tired from the hip-thusts. Didn't affect the speed pulls.
    Last edited by Forthright; 09-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Default Goals

500# Dead-lift
    400# Squat
    300# Bench-Press
    200# Press
    Last edited by Forthright; 10-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Day 3 Light

Body Weight: 206.2#: I wasn't able to count my calories yesterday so I had to do my best, Ended up loosing weight so I hope my recovery was ok. I should try to eat a good amount today.

Back-Squat: 210# x 2 x 5, 3-4 Minute rests between sets

130# Press: 3 x 5, 3- 4 Minute rests

One hand dumb-bell Curls: 35# x 3 x 8/ Side, 1 x 5 Left, 1 x 6 Right

Finisher
    Bodyweight Squats: Don't know how many I did but I just had to stop because I started to feel stronger as opposed to fatigued at 40ish Reps. I chill at the top and bottom of reps randomly though.

Push-Ups: 15 Reps- I was just starting to get shaky muscles when I stopped. I probably would of had another 5 reps that would have gotten grindy. I just started doing these finishers a couple weeks ago so my ability to do them is from training other stuff.

Back Squats felt good although they felt pretty heavy for how light they actually were. My joint mobility is so good that the barbell hits the safty pins if I go as deep as I can. If I lower the safty pins then I can't reach the pins when I fail.

Presses felt pretty heavy too which was scary. I was doing them slower than I would with heavier weight but they were difficult. I hope I'm just tired from the bench press.

I use to twist my bicep curls from hands neurtal to palm u. I probably used my shoulders more and I would kick my hip out as needed to stay under the weight. What I am doing now is much more strict.

Finishers get the blood to the muscles so they are supposed to be good for recovery.
    Last edited by Forthright; 08-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Day 4 Intensity

Back-Squat (Low-Bar)
    225# x 3
    275# x 1
    305# X 2 x 1
    295# x 2 x 1

Bench Press
    135# x 3
    160# x 3
    205# x 1
    225# x 1
    230# x 3 x 1

Dead-lift
    405# x 5 x 1

Deep Weighted dip
    70# x 4
    65# x 5
    65# x 3

10# Pistol Squat: 1 x 3/Side
    60# Decline Sit-up: 1 x 8, 1 x 7

This was my first intensity day. I knew that my maxes were not going to be good so I opted for singles instead.

I have a bad ass wound from where the barbell was digging into my back durring the squats. I finally knew I had to protect it so I carried the bar high on the rear delt. Not a high bar squat but higher than where it was. I actually like it there and I may stick with it. The squats all felt pretty good. I know my absoulte strength isn't great. The first thing I need to try is either lowering the weight on volume day or going for tripples on volume day.

The bench Presses felt pretty strong. I was pausing on my chest and I wasn't grinding very much.

The dead's felt good too. Rep 5 fianlly left some significant fatigue but I was gonna stop there anyway.

I went on to try the weighted dips. I was weaker at them then I was. Coarse I wasn't benching before them last time but I'm also worried that I am alittle weaker anyway. It's been a week and a half since I last did them. I would have used lighter weight if I had known it would have gone that way. I don't think I need anything from that bottom half of the dip now that I am benching. What I need is the tricep strength from the top half. I have long ### arms so when I go deep, I have to go a long way.
    Edit: Completly went over my head that I've gained 5 pounds since the last time I did weighted dips. That weight was probably all being carried so no wonder I had trouble . Weighed 208.2# today

I added in 3 pistol squats too. I need the 10 pounds to help me balance. It was very submaximal and was just meant to push my legs alittle farther. My back tends to take over everything I do so a few pistols make my legs feel like the rest of my body. If I am not recovered after a couple days off then I will have to cut down weekly ab work and/or the pistol squats. I'll learn now instead of wondering.

Ab work was sub maximal too. Hurt my heart to do more than 5 reps/ set.
    Last edited by Forthright; 11-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Texas Method Week 2

Bodyweight: 205.5#

Day 5 Volume

5 Minute Rests between sets

Press
    150# x 8 x 3

Back-Squat
    225# x 1 x 3
    280# x 8 x 3

Single leg Dead-lift (3 Minute Rest after each right leg Set, little rest after left)
    100# x 3 x 8/Side

Single leg Romanian Dead-lift
    50# x 1 x 8/ Side (No rest between sides)

Started out with the presses because I don't want to fatigue my body before a standing press. I did 5 x 5 (4 x 5, 1 x 4) last time I did presses but I switched to tripples. Goatta make a solid shelf every set. I would say these were medium when form was good. Even leaning toward easy but not quite.

Squats went really good. I kept the weight the same and switched to tripples. The work out was much easier over all so it went from hard to medium probably. I was holding the bar a little higher on my shoulders than last volume day and I am going to stick with this position. I did have two 3rd reps where I hit the safty pins with the barbell. I must have been leaning over or uneven. Or I just went too deep. Hate that...

Then I finished with some single leg dead-lifting as hamstring/glute work. Never really tried this before like I did today. It was seriously hard although the balance was really the killer. My hamstrings/glutes have not felt like that since I was pushing my 5 rep max though the 200's for my dead-lift. I didn't like feeling the burn in my rear delts though.
    Last edited by Forthright; 08-22-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Day 6

Speed-Pulls
    225# x 12 x 1

Chin-Ups
    67# x 3 x 5

225# Shrugs/Power Shrugs
    225# x 2 x 10

The speed pulls were good today. Gotta pull these like they are cleans. They feel much better that way. Felt very little if any fatigue from the speed pulls. They were more refreshing than anything. Edit: The last few reps turned into clean pulls.

The Chin-ups were messing with my elbows. Didn't like them very much. I may stick with palms away.

I also did some shrugs with the barbell while it was set up. Started with normal shrugs and then put hip into it around the 5th rep. Real power shrugs are in a power rack I think. I didn't do that but...
    Last edited by Forthright; 08-28-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Day 7 Light

Body-Weight: 206#

Pull-Ups
    Body-weight x 1 x 5

Back-Squat
    205# x 2 x 5

Bench-Press
    135# x 2 x 5

35# Dumb-Bell Curl: 3 x 8/ Side
    Body-Weight Squats: 1 x 25ish Reps
    Push-Ups: 16 Reps

Love how easy it is to do 5 Pull-Ups. I can really relax my shoulders/arms at the bottom. I thought my elbow was starting to get sore for a second but then it just cracked and felt perfect. Elbows felt good...

Squats went good I thought. I am trying to get the depth right with no help from anyone and I believe I did good.

The bench-presses were ok but I was shifting around durring the second set. I'm still learning how to bench right.

The Db curls were noticeably better this week. Locking the elbow at the bottom really holds me back but I am getting better. Reps went so well that I had to just quit well I was ahead. I wonder if I should just keep the elbow bent at the bottom? I do pull-ups with full elbow extension so that area is worked.

Did the Bw squats faster this week. My legs were starting to get a pump in the early 20's so it was best to stop.

Push-ups were good too. I know I had 3-5 reps in me atleast and I feel good. All my uscles feel slightly pumped with light fatigue. Last push-up was a tiny bit slower.

Note. I'm am going to change how I do my pull-ups and dips. Either going to do sets of 8- 10 or I'm gonna do 5 x 3. I was doing 5 x 5 with dips and pull-ups right before texas method so I need to change it up. Definitely gotta use lighter weight for those single leg deads if use them again next week. My legs felt like they were nuked which is probably bad.
    Last edited by Forthright; 08-22-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Day 8 Intensity

Bw: 209# (...)

Bodyweight Pull-Ups: 6 Reps (Warm-Up)

Press
    95# x 5
    120# x 3
    155# x 1
    165# x 1
    170# x 1

Squat (Low-Bar)
    135# x 5
    225# x 3
    275# x 1
    310# x 1

Dead-lift
    410# x 1

Assistance Work
    A. 72# Weighted Dip (Deep): 5 x 3
    B. 10# Pistol Squat (Deep) 5 x 3

70# Decline Sit-Up: 3 x 5 (May have had a st of 6)

The Press went good. I hit a sticking point above my head at 170 but it went up pretty smooth.

The squats were good as well. Little stick near the top at 310. It bent me over alittle extra but I finished well.

Dead-lift was ok. I don't want to bitch too much but this is probably the hardest to deal with. This is 15# lower than my old 5 rep max and it wasn't even double bodyweight.

Then I alternated pistols and dips. Old habbits die hard so my dips were deep..My final tripple with the dips was actually better than my first. The pistols were slightly slow on the final set but they were good. Very little fatigue when you are dealing with tripples.

Then I finished with the sit-ups. They went well but I should stick with the same weight next time.

Finished the entire work out with very little fatigue really. It took a long time because of the long rests but I love it.
    Last edited by Forthright; 11-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Texas Method Week 3

Day 9 Volume

BW: 207.8#

Bw-Pull-Ups: 9 Reps (warm-up)

Squat
    135# x 5
    225# x 3
    290# x 8 x 3

Bench-Press
    135# x 1
    135# x 3
    190# x 5 x 5

Switched from 5 to 2 minute rests for assistance work

305# Hip-Thrusts: 3 x 8
    Single-Leg Romanian DL: (1 x 8, 1 x 5, Left), (2 x 8, Right) 1st set on the right sucked so I did an extra set/side but I didn't feel the need to go past 5 on the left.

The squats were good today. My form started to change from fatigue durring set 4. Last few sets were pretty hard I thought. (Squats averaged out at medium difficutly)

The bench-press was easy. The first 4 sets were very easy. The 5th set was more difficult but it was really not too bad at all. Gotta note that I have never ever done the bench-press this good before. The form was just perfect. The 1st rep of the 5th set was the only rep that was not paused on the chest. (Bench-Presses were medium difficulty leaning toward easy)

The hip-thrusts really help me. Anything I can do to wake my @ss up is huge because my back tends to wanna take over.
    Also, did some single leg romanian dead-lifts. The weight was light but the stabilization does alot.

I will stick with this workout because I did 2 glute/hamstring exersises but my glutes/hamstrings were actually alot more fried the past 2 weeks than today. Today was real good.
    Last edited by Forthright; 09-01-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast