starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gregs path to the Bulgarian "light"

Default Gregs path to the Bulgarian "light"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well I needed a big change in my life and so I changed not only the way I worked out but my new found dedication. So about me, I have been doing CrossFit since 2006 and I realized that I will never be able to be proficient at every movement in CrossFit so I decided to switch to Olympic lifting. I fell like it takes much more dedication to become an Olympic weightlifter. So far it has effected everything in my life, my sleep habits, my friends, my recovery drills, my warm ups, hell just about everything. For the past two months I have just been training the lifts thanks to Greg Everett. I was just liked up with a coach from Asheville NC and she did a little class on the snatch and on the clean. Before class she had talked about the Bulgarian training and I went home after and looked up everything I could on it. So now I am ready to slowly start on to the path of holy water and hell all mixed into one. On here I will post all workouts and video links. On the 15th of Aug 2012 it will be my first day walking down this road. Also I am trying to gain 4.5 kg because I am in the way bottom for 77 kg weight class.

Current weight is 160 lbs

Current max:

Back squat: 300 lbs
    Front squat: 290 lbs
    Snatch: 135 lbs
    Clean: 220 lbs
    Clean and jerk: 200 lbs
    Deadlift: 425 lbs

I am new to this and if you can think of anything that will help please let me know.
    Last edited by gfield1781; 08-21-2012 at 11:16 AM.

I am so excited!

If you want to follow everyone else's log, they are all in this section:
    Chelsea is C-biscuit on the run!
    Amy is Tiny Dancer Log of Awesome
    Tara is Welcome to Taradise
    Zach is Going Bulgarian for Collegiates!

I think Matt Smith is also going to start a log here, and I am still working on everyone else...

ok, i will do that.

Post DAY 1 morning session

So due to my job i have to break all training down into two sessions because i dont have the time. Also unless its a saturday or a special day all weight will be in pounds, but i will label it just to be safe. i dont want people thinking im strong or something. My workout today was;
    max front squat, max snatch, max clean and jerk and max high bar back squat.

so my first session was max front squat and max snatch

Max Front Squat
    1x10 at 45 lbs
    1x5 at 135 lbs
    1x3 at 225 lbs
    1 at 255 lbs
    1 at 275 lbs
    1 at 295 lbs- new pr, got lose on the way up got to work on keeping my core tight
    1 at 300 lbs- (fail) got stuck on the way up, just let go of all tightness and missed the lift

Max full snatch
    1x10 at 45 lbs- went through the progression from the hips to below the knees then from the floor 10 reps at each
    1x10 at 75 lbs- felt good speed but tight hips in the reciving position
    1x5 at 95 lbs- got loser on my hips felt real good maybe a new PR?
    1x3 at 115 lbs- just went to shit on my reciving need to really work on it
    1 at 135 lbs- (current max) damn power snatch it with a bad landing need to stay tight and think landing and reciving in the squat.
    1 at 135 lbs- another power snatch this time better in the landing but still not reciving the bar in the squat, so mad.

so after the bad snatch performance i stoped there for a few hours am going to come back and set a new pr on full snatch. also i have videos i will upload of all pr attempts or heviest weight of the day to include all failed reps. and i say full snatch because i need to work on my reciving so i will always note full snatch or power snatch depending on the day.

Yay! Welcome Greg!

Alright! I'm excited!

well thank you, i look foward to working with you people in asheville more

While you are working on your receiving position, I think your reps should be:

You have to be okay with having a bad session and just moving on and getting ready for tomorrow. For example, I didn't hit ANY of my "working weights" on power cleans or jerks today. But, I get to train again TOMORROW.

On Saturday, I will have you work some just from the hip to make you drop under the bar.

Post DAY 1 PM training

All I got to say is SSSSHHHHIIIITTTT... I have never been so happy yet so fustrated at myself. So i guess i learn for doing things wrong. So before i get into my night training, first let me tell you what i learned from my first day;
    1. dont make real big jumps once you get to a heavier weight
    2. clean your head from the past lifts, if not then it will just play mind games on you for the rest of your training
    3. remember you are your worst enemy

im sure there is more but thats what i remember.

so on to my night training

max back squats
    1x10 at 45 lbs
    1x5 at 135 lbs
    1x3 at 225 lbs
    1 at 275 lbs
    1 at 285 lbs
    1 at 315 FAILED, i did not stay tight (seems to be a problem today) and WTF was i thinking with this jump in weight?
    1 at 315 FAILED FML

max clean and jerk
    (at this point i was so fustrated i did not know what to expect)
    1x10 at 45 lbs did the warm up from the top down 10 reps at every pos
    1x5 at 95 lbs- felt okay
    1 at 135 lbs Failed jerk what is wrong with me?
    1 at 135 lbs good
    1 at 185 lbs bad rep i pressed out on my jerk and again WTF is up with my huge jump in weight?
    1 at 185 again pressed out on my jerk

so on sat my next full bulgarian day i will be ready for it time to put the past behind me and look foward to more days. at least i PRed my front squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Tbone funny you just posted that because as i was writing my night session i mention the same thing, so now i will most def learn from my mistakes and move on

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast