starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George's Powerlifting/Olympic lifting log

Default George's Powerlifting/Olympic lifting log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've got some new goals so I figured I'd start a new log on here. Well I have recently decided to switch over completely to single ply gear. I'm just tired of messing with all of that multi-ply gear.

I'm also cutting weight and trying to get my body weight down to the 220's weight class is my short term goal. Long term goal is to make the 198's. Currently I am down from 243lbs and now weigh 227lbs.

Also a goal of mine is to train the olympic lifts and maybe do an Olympic lifting meet sometime next year if I feel I have the form down and am strong enough. I've been thinking about doing it, but I am gonna stop thinking and actually do it. I heard there was a Cross-fit gym near me so I am gonna check into visiting a day with them and get some coaching on the lifts here and there.
    Last edited by GeorgeR1982; 09-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Default Mon- Bench Press day

Monday 9/17/12 Bench

Warm-Up
    Side Raises: 5x12, 8x12
    Hammer Curls: 10x15, 15x15

Bench Press
    45x12
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    235x3, last rep paused
    245x3, last rep paused
    255x3, last rep paused

Dips
    BWx8
    BWx6
    BWx6

Wide-Grip Seated Rows
    100x12
    125x12
    150x12
    60x2x8(one-armed)
    Rear DB Raises
    10x12
    15x12
    20x12

Hammer Curls
    20x12
    25x12
    30x12

Hammer Shrugs(static hold)
    225x12
    245x12
    265x12

abs

(That was it. I didn't go heavy on bench today, because I took last week off from the gym. So I'm just using this week to kinda get back into it.)

Default Tue- Squat day

Tuesday 9/18/12 Squats

Warm-Up
    Leg Extensions: 20x20, 40x20
    Prone Leg Curls: 20x20, 40x20
    1-Legged Glute Machine: 11x2x15(each leg)

Squats
    45x5, 3 sets
    135x3
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    295x3, added groove briefs and Belt here
    315x3
    335x2, got on my toes on the 2nd rep and had to rack it
    335x3, smoked it

Close-Stance High-Bar Squats
    225x5
    245x5
    265x3
    no gear

Seated Leg Curls
    60x12
    70x12
    80x12
    Adducter/Abducter Machine
    100x15
    110x15
    125x15
    both in & out

Seated Calf Raises
    100x3x25(2 legged)
    50x2x20(1 legged)
    Tibia Raises(w/mini-band)
    3x20

Abs

(That was it, squats felt pretty good. But my hip and glute were feeling irratated today so I threw on my very old pair of groove briefs and I also wore neoprene shorts the entire workout to keep my hips warm.)

Solid work, George! A LOTTA work and very solid.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Solid work, George! A LOTTA work and very solid.

Nice.
    Thanks Oldster. Do you have a log on here anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeR1982 View Post
    Also a goal of mine is to train the olympic lifts and maybe do an Olympic lifting meet sometime next year if I feel I have the form down and am strong enough. I've been thinking about doing it, but I am gonna stop thinking and actually do it. I heard there was a Cross-fit gym near me so I am gonna check into visiting a day with them and get some coaching on the lifts here and there.
    I can assure you my form isn't great and I'm not all that strong but I just did a weightlifting meet on Saturday (went 5/6). Now we're training for the Manitoba Open (I'm in Canada) in mid-November. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I had a blast. Keep in mind I wasn't planning on competing until next year at the earliest.

Depending on your location you may want to check out USAW's club listings. I didn't have much luck learning from a Crossfit box, but YMMV. The way Crossfit teaches the lifts is different from how they're actually performed because they need to do them for high reps or at least that's what I was told by a weightlifter (who regularly works with Crossfitters). I did however get the name of the only nationally competitive weightlifter in town who now coaches 3 of us so it wasn't a total waste.

I'm really looking forward to following your log George.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I can assure you my form isn't great and I'm not all that strong but I just did a weightlifting meet on Saturday (went 5/6). Now we're training for the Manitoba Open (I'm in Canada) in mid-November. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I had a blast. Keep in mind I wasn't planning on competing until next year at the earliest.

Depending on your location you may want to check out USAW's club listings. I didn't have much luck learning from a Crossfit box, but YMMV. The way Crossfit teaches the lifts is different from how they're actually performed because they need to do them for high reps or at least that's what I was told by a weightlifter (who regularly works with Crossfitters). I did however get the name of the only nationally competitive weightlifter in town who now coaches 3 of us so it wasn't a total waste.

I'm really looking forward to following your log George.
    Thanks Mr_Rogers. I've mainly been watching alot of snatch and clean & jerk videos and I am gonna video my lifts also. Glad to have you checking out my log

Default Wed- Aux/Oly/Cardio

Wednesday 9/19/12 Aux/Oly/Cardio

Straight-Arm Pulldowns/CSR Shrugs/ Seated Crunch Machine
    40x12/25x12/PL4x20- 3 sets

Face Pulls/DB Upright Rows/Standing Calf Raises
    40x12/25x12/50x20- 3 sets

Wide-Grip Pulldowns/4-Way Neck Machine(back only)/Reverse BB Curls
    75x12/25x15/25x20- 3 sets

Overhead Squats
    45x5, 2 sets

Snatch Grip Behind the Neck Presses
    45x5, 2 sets

Snatch(this is in lbs not kilo's)
    65x1, 3 sets
    85x1, 3 sets
    95x1, 3 sets
    115x1, 3 sets
    135x missed

Clean & Jerk
    135x1, 2 sets

Recumbent Bike: 20mins

(I've always wanted to try out Olympic lifting, and watching Wade compete in it this weekend inspired me to give it a honest try. I've played around doing snatches and cleans and stuff before but never really worked them to amount to anything. Got some videos and I will upload them later.)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeR1982 View Post
    Overhead Squats
    45x5, 2 sets
    Heh, overhead squats!

I remember when I got a wild hair and decided to try some. The empty bar was fine. But when I threw some weight on I learned darn near instantly that I don't have enough shoulder flexibility and the next thing I know, the bar is hitting the floor in front of me! Just too many sport and work related shoulder injuries to let me do them.

But if you can, do them. I sure wish I could.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Heh, overhead squats!

I remember when I got a wild hair and decided to try some. The empty bar was fine. But when I threw some weight on I learned darn near instantly that I don't have enough shoulder flexibility and the next thing I know, the bar is hitting the floor in front of me! Just too many sport and work related shoulder injuries to let me do them.

But if you can, do them. I sure wish I could.
    I was mainly just using them as a warm up for the Snatches.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast