starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn Recap, Pt4

Default Brooklyn Recap, Pt4

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We were sitting in chairs listening to lecture on Saturday when I looked at Becca (Paulie's better half) and said, "It feels like we're here all the time." And such is life on our returns to Brooklyn. Paulie and Becca make it feel as homey as possible. We know where to eat; where to sleep; where to get Whiskey and where to get four cases of Diet Cokes to fuel Steve throughout the weekend.

As always, Paulie and Becca took very good care of us all weekend and provided one of the best training halls on the Eastern seaboard. A few of us got to watch one of the top ranked Uzbekistan weightlifters in the 77kg class, Muhammad Begaliev, go through a session on Thursday night. It was quite a treat. It was fun to hear he and one of Paulie’s members who is originally from Russia and just happened to be training at the same time go back and forth in their native tongue.

I know I say this a lot, but this time I mean it in that our group last weekend was one of the best. A large portion of the group were on point with the material which prompted good discussions all weekend long. We had the usual mixture of novice lifters and experienced lifters and all came away with a better understanding of why we do what we do, and how to execute it. We also had our usual mixture of folks who train in commercial gyms, gym owners, and those who take away as much as possible to practice while they train on their own in their homes or at work. Seriously, Don has a squat rack in his office. I thought that was pretty cool.

We tell you guys each time that we learn something each weekend from yous guys and it's true. This weekend, I learned of a new way to get an 'age advanced' lifter to get all the way down to the bottom of the squat. Rip yelled at him to get splinters in his ass. And it worked. So Gary will reset his squats and make sure he hits the bottom every rep from now on.

I’m going to give a shout out to New York natives and North Carolina Pizza guys Louis and John. It was hard to remember that John was only 17 as he took command of the teaching methods used and was as pleasant and coachable as could be on the platforms. Louis seemed fine too. Heh. Actually I didn’t work with him but bringing your little brother to a seminar; training in your basement after working 18 hour days; and bringing Rip a chocolate Stout from the region makes him pretty awesome too. I’ll also say it was cool having another JP there, because I know he’s lurking.

After only having one chica in attendance last month in Wisconsin, it was very cool having a great group of ladies/chicks/women/bitches…whatever you want to be called that won’t offend you, this time. Jess’s husband took the seminar way back when we came to Red Hook the first time and she kicked arse. Kudos to the owner of the gym she trains out of, CF South Brooklyn, for coming with a desire to learn and a willingness to work the methods and techniques used all weekend. At times, it’s been difficult for gym owners to become the student (especially in front of their members also in attendance) and David was such a pleasure to work with and had very good input during the Q&A.

Thanks to everyone who came out, remember to keep us posted on your progress. Fell free to contact Rip or any of the platform staff with questions that can help your lifting or coaching. Thanks again Paulie and Becca and the New York natives who took time to stop by the gym or dinner to say hi. A Hui Hou!

jp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jep6095; 09-20-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    We tell you guys each time that we learn something each weekend from yous guys and it's true. This weekend, I learned of a new way to get an 'age advanced' lifter to get all the way down to the bottom of the squat. Rip yelled at him to get splinters in his ass. And it worked. So Gary will reset his squats and make sure he hits the bottom every rep from now on.
    Splinters, eh? I have to remember that to as a mnemonic device.

A Hui Hou!

jp
    Is this Minnesota-speak for the more Southerly expression hootie hoo?

I have to say, that is one of the best shots of my posterior chain that has ever been taken Thanks a million, I'm totally stealing it.

Thanks to Rip and all the coaches for a great weekend. I learned so much and am looking forward to integrating all of the new techniques into my lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Is this Minnesota-speak for the more Southerly expression hootie hoo?
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Saysha View Post
    I have to say, that is one of the best shots of my posterior chain that has ever been taken
    I NO! Right?!? It's a great pic Saysha!

jp

Huh?
    Sometimes I feel like my entire life involves the fetchin' up of city folk.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Hootie%20Hoo

I’ll also say it was cool having another JP there, because I know he’s lurking.
    Ha! How did you know? Thanks for all of your help last weekend Julie. It was great to meet you.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by John.Petrizzo View Post
    Ha! How did you know?

JP
    Heh. I have wicked skillz like that. Plus you said that you lurk a bit. PLUS you posted a thanks on Rip's Q&A. It was great working with you!

jp

I should stop by one of these dinners to say "hey".

starting strength coach development program
    I'd like to thank all of the staff as well! It was a great experience, all of the coaches were extremely helpful in answering questions and correcting my form mistakes. Just doing a simple thing like shortening my stance and pointing my toes out more has made it so much easier for me hit proper depth on my squats. Despite reading the book that explains something like this in detail, I guess for me I just needed a coach to point out that I'm not doing it right.

-Johnny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast