starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Log: From Crossfit to SS

Default Joe's Log: From Crossfit to SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started this log to track my progress with my first real endeavour into pure strength training. I was previously following Crossfit and had good results with strength gains but eventually stalled on all my lifts. A little over a year ago I moved and quit doing crossfit. I have been working out over the last year but with no consistency. Here are my PR's from when I was doing Crossfit:

Squat: 350
    Press: 155
    Bench Press: 245
    Deadlift: 405
    Power Clean 210

My goal is to get to a 400lb squat, 500lb deadlift, and bodyweight press.

Male, 29 yrs 6' 210lbs

Oct 22 Workout
    Squat: 205x5, 205x5, 205x5
    Press: 105x5, 105x5, 105x5
    Deadlift: 225x5

All my lifts felt good. I am working on my press technique as I am not used pushing my hips forward to create the rebound. My timing is all off. I will continue working on this until it feels comfortable.

Oct 24 Workout
    Squat: 205x5, 215x5, 215x5, 215x5 (accidently did the frist set too light)
    Bench Press: 165x5, 165x5, 165x5
    Deadlift: 240x5

No problems with the lifts but I could tell that the extra set of squats at 205 added some fatigue the last set at 215. Felt pretty good mood wise with only a little soreness/fatigue in my legs but I think that was from a lot of running Tuesday night at a kickball game.

It's great that you are starting up SS.

The que that helped me with the new hip thrust press technique was to "push the hips out," rather than leaning back. Push the hips out and then immediately bring them back under you. The bar will go down slightly as you push the hips out, and then start to lift as you bring them back back under you. As soon as you feel the pressure on the bar as it transitionS from going down to rebounding up, resist the pressure and start pushing up on the press. You ride the rebound out of the little bar dip caused by pushing your hips out then back.

Good to see someone else just starting a log here. The press has been confusing the hell out of me. My biggest problem is getting my hips back under me.

Best of luck with the program man

Thanks for the advice. I will focus on thinking about "pushing the hips out" tonight and see if that helps me. Even before I read SS I have found the press to be a frustrating lift. Mostly because I felt that it was a weakness compared to my other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by liftbigbebig View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will focus on thinking about "pushing the hips out" tonight and see if that helps me. Even before I read SS I have found the press to be a frustrating lift. Mostly because I felt that it was a weakness compared to my other lifts.
    Exactly my feeling as well. While everything else got stronger I've been futzing around the with the Press at very low weights trying to get them to go right. I think this new hip-thrust technique is just what I needed to get this lift going. I hope it works for you.

Oct 26 Workout
    Squat: 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
    Press: 110x5, 110x5, 110x5
    Deadlift: 255x5

Both my squat and deadlift felt good on Friday. Squat is starting to feel heavy but not too bad. I am going to keep increasing my weight by 10 lbs today and see how that feels. Press felt a little better but I have a slight delay inbetween pushing my hips forward and rebounding back that is making it a little tough. I think as I get used to the technique it will get better.

Oct 29 Workout
    Squat: 235x5, 235x5, 235x5
    Bench Press: 170x5, 170x5, 170x5
    Deadlift: 265x5

Here are my three sets of squats. They felt pretty good overall. That last set was a little heavy at the end but still moved up smoothly. If you see anything with my form that I need to change let me know.

Set 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqa8...l&noredirect=1
    Set 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Ts...l&noredirect=1
    Set 3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESeR...l&noredirect=1

Oct 31 Workout
    Squat: 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
    Press: 115x5, 115x5, 115x5
    Deadlift: 280x5

Still feeling good on all lifts but my squat is starting to feel really heavy on the last set. I think I need to make sure I give myself enough time inbetween sets to recover so I dont fail that last set.

starting strength coach development program
    Nov 3 Workout
    Squat: 255x5, 255x5, 255x5
    Bench Press: 175x5, 175x5, 175x5
    Deadlift: 295x5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast