• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Goal: Squat 315 For a Triple!!!

BW: 183

Today's Work

DB Press: 155x5x2, 155x6

Chin: (BW+35)x8x2

Squat: 265x5x2, 265x10

Barbell Curl: barx30

Squat notes: Lower-left back feeling as good as it has all year. Upper back tightness and bar security felt good. Left shoulder mobility below average. Both right and left hips felt pretty good; minimal soreness. Hip mobility was good. Hip drive felt so-so; not good.

DB Press notes: Chest felt strong. Weights moved slow because of 2.5lb plates encumbering movement. Will attempt 160 next time.
    Last edited by Krump; 11-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.

BW: 184

Today's Work

DB Press: 160x5x2, 160x6

Chin: (BW+35)x8x2

Squat: 270x5x2, 270x8

Barbell Curl: barx30

Squat notes: Lower-left back felt fine. Upper back tightness and bar security on third set deteriorated. Bar started slipping from rack around fifth rep. Left shoulder mobility was a bit of an issue but not a big one. Both right and left hips felt OK; minimal-average soreness. Hip mobility so-so. Hip drive felt not good. Best rep of the day was fifth rep of second set. It was because I consciously sat way back so hamstring stretch reflex was very good. Overall, reps didn't feel nearly as tight as Wednesdays sets.

DB Press notes: Arms felt strong and very stable. I think I am doing a really good job of engaging and incorporating my lats to optimize dumbbell stability. Stretch reflex felt really good. Not having the added, dangling micro-plates makes the weight less cumbersome, so even though it was a big five pound jump I handled the weight well.

BW: 185

Today's Work

Bench Press: 165x5x2, 165x8

Chin: BWx18

Squat: 145x10x2

Dumbbell Curl: 22.5x22

Squat notes: Lower-left back hurt a little. Left shoulder mobility seemed OK. Both right and left hips felt fine. Hip mobility pretty decent, left hip better than right. Hip drive? It seemed like the weight was too light to tell if I was utilizing good hip drive. Meh, light squats are for recovery.

Bench Press notes: By the second set I figured out how to incorporate my lats and it made a big difference! I definitely want to find that groove again because the last two sets felt tight and secure.

Extra notes: I meant to do two sets of ten press at ~80 but I forgot. It was just going to be some more accessory work so not a biggie.

Today's Work

DB Press: 162.5x5x2, 162.5x6

Squat: 275x5x2, 275x8

Dumb Bell Curl: 25x25

Squat notes: Lower back and lumbar spine has been feeling sore since Monday (two days ago). I skipped chins today to see if it would improve upper back tightness and bar security. It did! Left shoulder mobility fine. Both right and left hips felt good; no soreness of note. Hip mobility was good. Hip drive felt so-so; not good. On some reps I got very deep and got a good bounce out of the hole and on some reps (later reps) I'm sure I missed depth by a couple inches. Besides general fatigue I'm not sure why of the disparity. Lower back afterwards not feeling super hot. I definitely want to monitor it closely to make sure to avoid an injury.

DB Press notes: Rebound out of the bottom not nearly as sound as last workout. I couldn't incorporate my lats as well either. Still got the reps at a higher weight.
    Last edited by Krump; 11-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Today's Work

DB Press: 165x5x3

Chin-up: (BW+35)x8, (BW+35)x6

Squat: 145x10x2

Press: 80x10, 85x10

DB Curl: 27.5x25

Squat notes: Lower back and lumbar spine feeling good. My issues a few days ago cleared up overnight. Not much of note, just recovery squats again. Left shoulder mobility a bit iffy during sets.

DB Press notes: After first set I adjusted the 2.5# plates to be on my thumb side inside the dumbbell instead of on the pinky side and it allowed for a better ROM. Rebound out of the bottom felt better compared to last workout once I made the adjustment. still didn't feel the lat incorporation much.

Chin-up notes: Grip was the primary issue here. Also, go back to using the standard 25# plate instead of the bumper plate since the larger diameter was kind of awkward.

Other Notes: Body weight needs to go up more!
    Last edited by Krump; 11-10-2012 at 08:16 PM.

BW: 186

Today's Work

Bench Press: 170x5x2, 170x9

Squat: 280x5x2, 280x8

Chin-up: (BW)x10x3

DB Curl: 30x25

Squat notes: Lower back and lumbar spine felt good. During second set I noticed what felt like tension in my low back at the sacrum joints. I just focused on keeping my chest up and ass back to keep my back in extension. After my sets my back didn't hurt or feel particularly weird at all.

Hips felt really good. Mobility good. Depth good. Thoracic spine and upper back stability felt good. No issues with left shoulder mobility. Rack felt good and secure.

Bench Press notes: By second set I was incorporating my lats, scapula, upper back, and triceps very well. I'm encouraged that this weight did not feel very heavy.

Chin-up notes: Been stuck on weighted chins with no progress Mix it up and try adding volume.

Other Notes: Added a pound of body-weight. I have been eating like a hog daemon the past few days. Stay committed! I'm very happy that the weights in the Bench and Squat sets did not feel very heavy. 280 today did not feel as heavy as 275 last week. The belt is definitely feeling tighter so that may be why.
    Last edited by Krump; 11-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Yesterday's Work

Dumb Bell Press: 170x4,5,4

Squat: 150x10x2

Press: 90x10, 95x7

Dumb Bell Press Notes: Third rep of first set I lost stability and wobbled for a couple seconds before I could re-stabilize and finish the rep. It really took a lot out of me and I couldn't complete the fifth rep. I will bench 175 next time and see how that goes.

Press Notes: I have been messing around with press on my recovery squat days. I found my limit for now. Will retry two sets of 10 @ 90#.

Other Notes: Started my new position at work this week and it has been really stressful. I have come down sick with my first cold virus of the year as well. As a result I haven't been able to eat/sleep well and have lost a pound of bodyweight. I think I will settle into my new job shortly though. It's just a matter of adjusting to the new tasks, responsibilities and added work volume.
    Last edited by Krump; 11-16-2012 at 05:49 PM.

BW: 186

Today's Work

Bench Press: 175x5x2, 175x7

Squat: 285x5x2, 285x7

DB Curl: 32.5x25

Bench Press Notes: Sets felt OK. Lat incorporation felt OK.

Squat Notes: Lower-left back felt OK. Mobility was OK. Depth OK. Hips got a little sore after second set but overall not bad. Upper back stability fine. Hip drive so-so – not the greatest. Afterwards my lower-left back hurt a little but not exceptionally.

BW: 188

Today's Work

Bench Press: 180x5x2, 180x7

Squat: 155x10x2

Press: 90x10x2

DB Curl: 35x20

Bench Press Notes: Sets felt good - strong. Lat incorporation good.

Squat Notes: Lower-left back felt good. Mobility was OK. Depth OK. Hips not very sore. Upper back stability fine - shoulder mobility not great.

Other: Presses felt fine. DB curl really heavy. Will do an EZ bar curl variant next time.

starting strength coach development program

BW: 188

Yesterday's Work

Bench Press: 185x5x2, 185x7

Squat: 290x5x2, 290x7

Chin-up: (BW)x11x2, (BW)x12

Bench Press Notes: Sets felt good. Lat incorporation felt good. Bar pathing has been feeling in place the last couple of bench workouts. Have been using wrist wraps the past three bench workouts and I’m now figuring out how to best utilize them.

Squat Notes: Lower-left back felt good. Mobility was good. Depth good. Hips did not get very sore at any point. Upper back stability fine. Left shoulder mobility was a little iffy at first but got better as the sets progressed. Hip drive so-so – not the greatest. My legs and hips felt very strong. My weakest link for these sets may have been my back. I’m excited to have gotten 290lbs! I’m officially breaking uncharted territory!
    Last edited by Krump; 11-25-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast