starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the feebler log

Default the feebler log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've lost track at this point, but I believe that this will be my 5th time attempting SS. In the past I've either injured myself or eaten poorly and uncontrollably, and thus gained way more fat than I wanted to. Every time I get back around to SS, I pretty much start from scratch, and this time is no different. A few details about myself -

Male
    5'-11"
    179 lbs.
    31 years old.

My goal is to run SS until it runs out on me, and hopefully this log will keep me focused. I'm a fickle, feeble man, so we'll see how that goes.

Currently eating around 2800 calories a day, while keeping my carbs around 100g and my protein around 180g. The fat just is what it is.

A quick note before listing workouts - I have the second edition of SS, and it appears some changes have been made to the third edition. I'll apparently have to pick up the new edition, along with the DVD.

11/06/2012 'A'

Squat - 85x5x3

Bench - 120x5x3

Dead - 135x5x1

11/08/2012 'B'

Squat - 90x5x3

Press - 80x5x3

Cleans - 45x5x3 (working on form)

As you can see, my bench/press numbers are pretty out of line with my squat. Always had problems adding weight to the squat, so I'll have to post a form check after my next workout.
    Last edited by Adam Stevenson; 11-09-2012 at 05:04 PM.

11-10-2012

Squat
    45x5
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    100x5
    100x5
    100x5

Felt fairly easy, although I had a few ugly reps. I posted some form check videos in the technique forum - I'd certainly appreciate any feedback.

Bench
    95x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5

Easy peasy.

Dead
    135x3
    155x5

Also pretty easy.

An excerpt from today's lifting soundtrack -

Last edited by Adam Stevenson; 11-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.

11-13-2012

Squat
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5

Yep, 15lb jump. I felt like I had it in me. Again, fairly easy, although I struggled on the last two reps of the final set. My form is apparently not as bad as I thought it was, so I'm just a pussy.

Press
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    85x5
    85x5

Probably started a little too heavy on these. I think I've only got one or two more 5lb jumps in me before I'm microloading.

Cleans
    45x5
    45x5
    55x5
    55x5
    55x5

Form is absolutely horrible on these. As soon as they're good enough to even be considered bad powercleans, I'll have to post some form check videos.

An excerpt from today's lifting soundtrack -

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by the feebler elf View Post

Currently eating around 2800 calories a day, while keeping my carbs around 100g and my protein around 180g. The fat just is what it is.
    We're around the same age and height, I have 15-20lbs on you though. I'm not a diet guy, but an SS coach gave me some macro advice because I want to keep fat gain down (to stay in or possibly drop a weight class). He has me eating 250g CHO, 270g protein, 70g fat five days a week (call it SunTueWedThurSat). 370g CHO, 230g protein and 60g fat two days a week (Monday, Friday). He also wanted me to get 40-50% of my daily carbs in a pre-workout meal and another 40-50% post workout meal while keeping fat 10g or below on both those meals. My wife claims I've lost fat in the mid-section, but I don't pay much attention. He also has me doing two conditioning days a week, but I've been somewhat inconsistent with those (sometimes I only do one). I have stuck to the diet though. I'm eating 800-1000 kcal less a day and my strength lifts aren't stalling. I made the mistake of following some poor advice when I got stuck around last Feb/Mar. Don't just add calories for the sake of adding calories.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 11-14-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Good luck!

We're around the same age and height, I have 15-20lbs on you though. I'm not a diet guy, but an SS coach gave me some macro advice because I want to keep fat gain down (to stay in or possibly drop a weight class). He has me eating 250g CHO, 270g protein, 70g fat five days a week (call it SunTueWedThurSat). 370g CHO, 230g protein and 60g fat two days a week (Monday, Friday). He also wanted me to get 40-50% of my daily carbs in a pre-workout meal and another 40-50% post workout meal while keeping fat 10g or below on both those meals. My wife claims I've lost fat in the mid-section, but I don't pay much attention. He also has me doing two conditioning days a week, but I've been somewhat inconsistent with those (sometimes I only do one). I have stuck to the diet though. I'm eating 800-1000 kcal less a day and my strength lifts aren't stalling. I made the mistake of following some poor advice when I got stuck around last Feb/Mar. Don't just add calories for the sake of adding calories.
    Thanks!

I appreciate the advice, and thanks for commenting on my log. I'll definitely keep your advice qeued up if/when the time comes.

I arrived at my current diet after six months of experimenting with how my body responded to different caloric intakes and macro ratios (I was in a deficit much of this time, so I may be headed in the wrong direction - we'll see how things look in a few weeks). I started off experimenting with very low carb, which had two results - A) my body composition improved, and B) my Italian wife was very upset about me not eating the pasta she makes on a regular basis. I decided to try a middle-of-the-road approach, where I completely cut out grains except for dinner (which happens to be pre-wo), and some post-wo oats - those two sources make up the majority of my daily carbs. The rest of my carbs come from vegetables and dairy. It seems to be a good balance, so I'm sticking to that, only I'm increasing my protein and fat to put me in a surplus. I will re-evaluate as I go along, and make changes when necessary - even if they are largely experimental on my part.

In the past, my dietary plan was mostly "eat everything in sight".

Well it seems like you're getting the diet dialed in, not too much else you can do. I'm glad it's working for you.

Were the injuries you mentioned at the start lifting related?

Yes and no, I suppose. They weren't caused by lifting, but were exacerbated by it. I ride a desk all day long, and have some sporadic sacroiliac problems as a result. Sloppy squat and deadlift form in the past made things much worse.

I'm getting tired of the same old (low) PR numbers after years of on and off lifting, so I'm really trying to get everything right this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Were the injuries you mentioned at the start lifting related?

11-15-2012

Squat
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    105x3
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5

125 and it already feels heavy. I find that when I'm really trying to watch my form, I squat slowly and start sticking about halfway up. They're much easier if I just attack them, but perhaps at the expense of form. Not sure I can manage a 10lb jump next time.

Bench
    95x5
    125x3
    130x5
    130x5
    130x5

Still pretty easy.

Deads
    135x3
    175x5

Fairly easy.

Today was the first time I lifted with a proper pair of shoes (VS Athletics) and chalk. Can't say I noticed a huge difference with the shoes, but a positive difference nonetheless; my position at the bottom of the squats felt a little better, and I felt like the shoes gave me a better foundation. The chalk however, made quite a difference. Much better grip on the bar.

A little bit of last night's soundtrack -

11-17-2012

Squat
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    115x3
    135x5
    135x5
    135x5

Heavy - had to take a few deep breaths after the third and fourth reps of every set. I came into the workout thinking that I couldn't do another 10lb jump, but convinced myself that if some guys were starting SS with a 135lb squat, then sure as fuck, I could do it after two weeks. Per Rippetoe, I managed 10lb jumps for the first six workouts.

Press
    45x5
    70x5
    90x5
    90x5
    90x5

Moderately difficult.

Cleans
    45x5
    65x5
    65x5
    65x5

Form is still a joke on these.

The squats made this a difficult workout, so I rewarded myself by grilling a tri-tip. Year-round grilling/bbqing is definitely a perk of living in California.

starting strength coach development program
    11-20-2012

Squat
    45x5
    70x5
    95x5
    120x3
    140x5
    140x5
    140x5

Was focusing on just getting up from a couple of these, and wound up on my toes. I've determined I need to eat more. I've been eating around 3000 cals lately, so I'll see what 3500 does for me.

Bench
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5
    135x5
    135x5

These are just starting to get a little heavy.

Deads
    135x3
    165x3
    195x5

Also starting to get heavy.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast