starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Ugly Reps - My SS training log

Default No Ugly Reps - My SS training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I finally started the program today. I'm using the Practical Programing Novice Program, even though I'm not a total novice. I could provide some background and training history but I don't think anyone will pay attention to that so I'll spare ya'll the details. I'll be following this format:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift/5x3 Power Clean (alternating)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    3x10 Back Extension
    3xFailure(15 max)* Chin-ups/Pull-ups (alternating)

I guess I should at least record that I'm a 32 year old female; 5'8, 130lbs. My 1RMs up until now are (approx): press: 65lb, bench: 115lb, squat: 135lb, deadlift: 195lb, PC: no idea. I've had three coaching sessions with a SS coach.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This isn't the first program that I've followed and this isn't the first time that I've used the lifts in the program. So I had a good idea where to start, weight-wise. Though I did start low and work my way up until the bar slowed.

Today's workout:

Squat:
    45-5 reps
    65- 5 reps
    85-5 reps
    95- 5 reps...bar started to slow a bit so I used this as my first work set
    95-5,5

Press:
    45-5 reps (I couldn't start lower since we don't have a bar lighter than 45lbs)
    47.5- 5 reps
    50 - 5 reps...lost some speed so called this the first work set
    50- 5,5

DL:
    135- 5 reps (because we don't have bumper plates and I'm too lazy to set up props for smaller plates so I just did the one set)

And then of course, since I'm used to doing more volume and more weight, I felt like....that's it??? I was left feeling a bit ripped off from this workout. And I had lots of time to spare until my squash partner showed up for a game so I through in some stupid shit like a few sets of tricep rope pushdowns, bicep rope curls, and high step ups. I know, I know, I'm *already* NDTP on the first day.

So, how do I get over this mental block of thinking 'its not enough'? If I'm used to DLing 185lb for 5x5, how the frig is 1 set of 5 reps at 135lb 'enough'? I've gotten to the point I'm at by using a wee bit more volume. So you can understand why I'm a be apprehensive to scale back the volume so much.

Any words of wisdom or constructive critique is appreciated!
    Last edited by Squeen; 12-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Yeah I felt almost the same way the first week. (Is this all there is to it? Piece of cake!) Don't worry, it will get very hard soon enough. You can probably add 10lbs to SQ and DL for a few sessions, but don't get too aggressive or you will stall too soon. While that isn't the end of the world, you just do a reset, it is depressing.

Should I add less weight each time so as to delay stalling? I already know that my max squat is 135lb. So adding 10 lbs each time to 95lb will have me stalling in a few weeks. I could add 5lbs each time instead and delay the stall but I'm not sure what the benefit to that would be.

Today:

Squat: 100lbs 3x5
    Bench: 90lb 3x5
    Back extension: 40lb DB 3x10
    Chin ups: parallel grip: 9, underhand grip: 8, parallel grip: 9

For the back extension, I used this thing, with a DB held in front at my chest (is this correct?):

Did some abs after that because I didn't want to go home yet, lol:
    -3x10 forearm supported leg raises
    -3x10 ab wheel rollouts
    -3x15 incline (decline?) bench leg lifts and lowers

Workout #3 (Dec 6):

Squat: 105lb-5,5,5
    Press: 52.5-5,5,5
    PC: 55-3,3,3,3....65-3 (I know I'm supposed to use the same weight but I was curious, lol)

Workout #4: (Dec 8)

squat: 110-5,5,5
    bench: 92.5-5,5,5
    Back extension: 45lb DB-10,10,10
    chin ups (parallel grip): 11, underhand grip: 8, parallel grip: 8

My squat really slowed down down with the 110lb. Kinda has me worried about the next few 5lb increases. Should I just stay put at 110lb until I get more speed? Or just keep microloading?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Squeen View Post
    For the back extension, I used this thing, with a DB held in front at my chest (is this correct?):

The preferred back extension is completely horizontal--so basically your legs are horizontal, your torso starts 90 degrees (head pointed at floor), and you extent to horizontal. But not every gym has those, and the pic you have there is the next best thing. It'll work.

WRT to the squat...I'd keep adding 5 lbs. Some days will be faster than others. General rule: if you hit all the reps with good form, up the weight, even if you were a little slow. Worst case scenario, you'll fail and have to repeat...oh well...

If squatting heavy 3 days per week is geting to be too hard for you, you could turn the middle day into a light squat day (the "Advanced Novice" template--do 80% of your last workset), just to give yourself a breather on the squat in the middle.

I've been adding 5lb a week to my squats for a while now, it's always hard work, but they always seem to go up. It's almost like the intensity stays the same even though the weight is increasing, it's a weird feeling.

I doubt if you'll stall out at 135lb, the whole point of the program is to improve your strength so your 1rm will continually increase, though of course, a stall will happen at some point. My best advice - learn to fight the lifts. There will come a time when it gets really hard, but as long as you're mentally prepared to fight the weight, you can hold off stalling.

Dec 10

Squat: 112.5lb-5,5,5
    Press: 55lb-5,5,5
    Deadlift: 155lb- 5,5,5

Dec 12lb

Squat: 112.5- 5,5,5
    Bench press: 95-5,5,5
    Back extension: 50lb DB- 10,10,10,10
    chin ups, parallel grip: 10, 8, 8

Thanks for the info on the back extension. Unfortunately that's all my gym has so good to hear that it'll do.

As for my squat...I raised it by just 2.5 lbs last day and didn't raise it at all today. The truth is that the 112.5lb is feeling hard. I'm coming up really slowly. I plan to add 2.5 lb next time but then after that not sure if I can add more or will have to do a few squat days at 115lb. We'll see I guess.

Dec 15

Squat: 115lb-5,5,5 The last set was HARD. Form wasn't great.
    Press: 56lb-5,5,5 The last few reps of each set, especially the last one, were SUPER slow and my form wasn't the best.
    PC: 65lb 5x3 Still working on proper form with this one.

Overall, I'm not too happy that the weights feel so hard so soon. I'm debating keeping the weights where they are for a few workouts to avoid failed reps.

starting strength coach development program
    Did you start too heavy?

You're already microloading with 2.5lb increases.

Is 135 your 5 rep max or 1 rep max?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast