starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LP with 5x3 (5 sets of 3 reps) squatting?

Default LP with 5x3 (5 sets of 3 reps) squatting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So to preface, I've been lifting with little progress for nearly a year now. I've done several bouts of Starting Strength, but every time I get to around 125-130lb on the Squat, I do terribly. It feels super heavy, and my form seems to break down.

I've tried 5/3/1, and done some general dicking around. My Press and Bench have improved over time, and my DL is higher than it was a year ago. The Squat is what has held me back every and makes me quit SS.

From trying 5/3/1, I've found I like two different things. Squats done in the 3 rep range, and parallel box squats. Does anyone have any experience with either of these modifications and did it allow you to continue progressing?

I want to do normal squats, so I was thinking doing 5x3 sets across instead of 3x5. Is this optimal? Besides the typical "YNDTP", why would it not be optimal?

My current stats:
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: Obese (around 370lb; on the way down though)
    Squat: idk, but I've box Squatted 135lb recently
    Bench: 170lb
    Press: 105lb
    Sumo Deadlift: 205lb

I look at it differently. Your 135 is probably like other people squatting 225 or 250 because of the extra body weight . But yeah, you should definitely drop about ... oh 140 or 150 lbs.

My experience with doing 3x3 instead of 3x5 was that i improved for a little while and then started going backwards. Moving back to 5s was a pain too. For me 3s just doesn't seem to be enough "endurance" work.

Agree with what the others have said.

You may want to try some different physical activities while you shed some fat. Because you are so heavy, doing bodyweight movements and even cycling and hiking will provide a great challenge for your body, help you lose fat, put on some muscle mass and increase conditioning.

Something like SS isnt really suitable right now, I would suggest being patient and take it slow. Develop your general fitness, flexibility, body control, fat loss etc..

This will greatly improve what you can achieve with the strength training in the long run, give you better technique and avoid injury too.

Post videos of your squats.

I don't know about your obesity or the opinions of the above posters in regard to your obesity, but I am very similar build to you, 6'4" 370ish pounds, and have no problems squatting over 600.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalsql View Post
    Post videos of your squats.

I don't know about your obesity or the opinions of the above posters in regard to your obesity, but I am very similar build to you, 6'4" 370ish pounds, and have no problems squatting over 600.
    A video is a good idea, but as schwiggity keeps getting stuck on such low numbers I think it is fair to make to assumption that they do not possess the same muscle-to-fat ratio you do. The obesity shouldn't affect the pressing movements much, but those numbers at 370lb is telling.

Is there a way to do LP for the other lifts while trying a different programming for Squats? My squat always holds back a program, and this is confirming it.

You should be able to do press and overhead with the normal method.

It would be useful to see a video of you performing the barbell lifts.

I would say you could use sets of 3 for squats without a big difference. 8 sets of 3 reps seem to work for some people. Also you could just do sets of 3 and always increase them if you can perform sets of 3 with the current weight correctly. This is not standard LP, but who cares? Sets of 5 usually produce a bit more muscle mass than sets of 3 but this is highly dependend on the person and doesn't matter at your strength level. If you get stronger you gain muscle mass.
    For the other lifts you want to do, do what increases them. You don't have to program all exercises the same. You could 531 your deadlifts, do 5x5 for your bench and the ed coan peaking cycle for your press.(just an example, i am not suggesting to do that) It doesn't matter that much.

Another thing: If you want to squat bigger weights your goal is to squat bigger weights. If your bodyweight makes squatting bigger weights harder/ impossible, then losing bodyweight is the answer, not squat programming.
    If your bodyweight is no problem for squatting, you should decide about your squat programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    You should be able to do press and overhead with the normal method.

It would be useful to see a video of you performing the barbell lifts.
    I haven't recorded my lifts in a while. Also, I haven't really done very heavy barbell squats (been using box squats) for about a month now. My max is probably a lot lower. Right now I have an infection in my left hand that's made it swollen so I can't lift for about a week. I'll record some new videos then. Here's some older ones if it helps any (my form on the Bench, Press, and Deadlift really changed much except now I'm trying to do Press 2.0 as Rip describes it and shows it in his video.)

Parallel Box Squat (recorded 11/19/12)

Moderate Sumo Stance Deadlift (recorded 11/3/12 when I was trying it for the first and testing my 1RM)

Hmm, can't find my bench/press videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Those lifts look alright to me. On the squat think elbows back and chest-up when you set up. (and i think you're looking up too which is not good).

Also, you do have a fair amount of weight on your upper body so like i said before i think that that 135 is more like a 200 on your legs. Not that you should be satisfied w/ that. Going back to your OP you say that when you do SS "it gets heavy" and "form starts breaking down".

Well... yeah that happens to everyone and then you fix the form and power through. Once your hand heals up i say do another run at SS and then post some videos in the Technique section once you get back up to where you think your form is getting bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast