starting strength gym

Thread: Two Powerlifting Oriented Questions: TM Progression and Cardio

Default Two Powerlifting Oriented Questions: TM Progression and Cardio

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have two powerlifting related questions, one for the Texas Method and another about cardio-fitness in general.

1. I have Practical Programming and I like the Texas Model. I found a T-Nation article [http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._texas_method] as well written by Coach Rippetoe. My question is about the last statements: "The Texas Method doesn't work forever — nothing does. But it does work well as your introduction to the more complicated programming necessary to continue strength and size gains into the more advanced stages of strength training."

With that in mind. What sort of progression would occur? I'm using the 4 day powerlifting template as outlined in section 7, pages 128-129. I'm using Dynamic work with low box squats, cleans and flat benching.

2. I'm military. I've just competed in the West Coast Open Championship Meet Raw 198 here on the Oregon Coast a couple weeks ago and I really want to keep competitive. The only issue I have is factoring in my military obligations to maintain a semi-decent 1.5 mi run time (between 10 and 11 minutes).

What sort of adjustments should I make to ensure I can recover from my training stimulus and keep progressing? My first thought is to simply reduce assistance exercises from 3 sets to 2 (GHRs, Back Extensions, Front squats and Good mornings).

you might drop some of the assistance work, but in all honesty a 1.5 mile run isn't all that stressful to train for. I would think that running it twice per week could easily be adapted to and not affect your strength training too much.

For the 1.5 mi run, run sprints once a week (better: hill sprints). Example workouts: 5 x 200 m with 200 m walk for rest between reps. I like running ladders, alternating running and jogging: 400/400 + 300/300 + 200/200 + 100/100. One of these would suffice. The point of this workout is to increase speed as you're getting increasingly tired. You shouldn't run sprints longer than 400 m. I don't think you should worry about running distance, you don't need it. You could also try Tabata sprints.