starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Triathlons to Strength, A Journey to Getting Strong

Cool Triathlons to Strength, A Journey to Getting Strong

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My Background:

While in High School, I played football and ran distance in track. Was always on the smaller side but never "weak." I was a champ at anything body weight. I finished growing tall and stopped at 5'10." Weight was about 160#.

Come college, I join our collegiate triathlon team and we win nationals for a couple years. Always strong on the bike, ok swim, decent runner. I also start doing ultramarathons for fun. In season weight was about 167, off season 175.

After my last season, I jump on the crossfit/gym jones/mountain athlete bandwagon and have been a mediocre athlete since then. I mainly attribute this to not having any goals besides general fitness. Weight went up to 185 and have hovered ever since. Looked and felt like a pretty average GPF athlete. Estimated BF at 20%.

I'm now 28y/185#, tired of the mediocrity, and ready for some change.

Goals:

As far as the novice program goes: Squat - 325, Bench - 275, Deadlift - 420. All in about 10-12 weeks. Reason being I need to staying in running shape and will have to change the programming up to include muscular endurance and power. Don't mind a little increase in BW. 200# would be just fine. Also, I have just never been very "strong" so I'd like to know what I'm missing out on.

Current Sports:

I head out west to do a lot of skiing, both downhill and alpine touring. With that, I do a lot of alpine mountaineering and climbing. I also race cars off-road competitively for fun when I can afford it.

Previous Injuries:

Cracked ribs, meniscus tear, broken tibia, and a herniated L5-S1 that has bothered me for a few years but doesn't hold me back.

Other Notes:

Out of all the strength related websites I've encountered over the last couple months, this seemed to be the most knowledgeable and supportive. Hats off the the SS coaches that spend their time helping the general population get strong safely. This is a great resource.
    Last edited by driveclimbslide; 12-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Default Week 1

Week 1 of the Novice Program

As a general practice, I spend about 5-10 minutes on the bike or erg to get warm, do some plyo and mobility work to open up the ROM, and then start with the bar and incrementally build up to my working sets. Secret formula.

12/11/2012

BW - 185

Squat - 181x5x3

Press - 115x5x3

Deadlift - 286x5x1

Was a little tired from building up and finding my working sets, but still felt good. I thought my squats would have been higher with my cycling/mountaineering background... more fuel for the fire.

12/13/2012

Squat - 187x5x3

Bench - 176x5x3

Deadlift - 297x5x1

Wanted to make sure I was in the right spot for squats so I didn't make a big jump. Bench was about where I expected it.

12/15/2012

Squat - 195x5x3

Press - 125x5x3

Deadlift - 305x5x1

Deadlift felt really heavy. Noticed some rounding in the upper back. I also started working out in my garage gym today so there also might be a difference in the accuracy of the weights.

Here's the home gym:

Last edited by driveclimbslide; 12-19-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: I'm left handed

Default Week 2

12/17/2012

Squat - 205x5x3

Bench - 185x5x3

Power Cleans - 160x3x5

Everything felt great today except my lower back which was still feeling a little sore from last time. I decided to give PCs a go. I had never done more than 135 and was surprised to find my working sets at 160. I love power cleans, super fun to do. I also felt comfortable working them in this early because I'm not too out of shape and my form is already fairly decent.

Squat Form:

I made a quick video of my squat form to make sure things are in check. Decided to not post in in the techniques as I have a good idea what to change. Head down, move wrists out from under the bar, get bar farther down my back. This should solve the vertical back angle that I currently have.

Last edited by driveclimbslide; 12-18-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Again... left handed

Default Week 2

12/19/2012

BW - 189

Squat - 220x5x3

Press - 130x5x3

Deadlift - 315x5x1

Linear Progression is the shit.

Originally was just going to do 215 on the squats but felt like I had it in me to add 15. Nailed it. Press was a grind. I know I have week abs and I get a little hyperextended on the press. Planning to repeat this weight next press session to make sure form is solid before going heavier. Also had to pause at the top to take advantage of the stretch reflex and reset form. I think this is what made me so sore in my lower back last time. Chest high really helped. With the concentration on form, it felt much better this time around. Deadlift just felt... heavy. Eyes popping out of socket heavy. Still nailed it so good. Running out of plates so I'll have to hunt down another pair of 45's.
    Last edited by driveclimbslide; 12-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Default Week 2

12/21/2012

Squat - 230x5x3

Bench - 192.5x5x3

Power Cleans - 170x3x5

Squats felt good and will probably stick with 10lb increases for a bit. Bench was tough but will try another 7.5lb increase again. Noticed I'm losing some flexibility with getting a proper rack position with the power cleans. Thinking turning off days into mobility/flexibility days.

Default Week 3

12/23/2012

Squat - 240x5x3

Press - 125x5x3

Deadlift - 322.5x5x1

I feel like I'm starting to work for my squats now. 240 today felt exactly like 230 on the last workout. Curious if this will be the trend until the 10lb jumps are no more. Back was still hyper extending at 130 on the press so I reset at 125lbs and keep very strict form. Definitely worth it. Paid a lot of attention on the deadlift and it made today's work set feel really good. That was all the weight I have so I need to go shopping. The rest of this week I'm out of town but will have access to a gym. Should hopefully stay on track.

Default Week 3

12/28/2012

Squat - 250x5x3

Bench - 200x4, 195x4,3

Power Clean - 175x3x5

Pissed. Not enough food and too long of a break.
    Last edited by driveclimbslide; 01-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Default Week 4

1/1/2013

Squat - 260x5x3

Press - 130x5x3

Deadlift - 330x5x1

At least the new year started out right. Back home so consistency should resume. Squats were hard like they should be. Fixed my grip on the press and it felt way better. Had to bring it in narrower. Felt like I rounded my upper back on the last rep of the deadlift halfway up which I thought was odd. Something to keep in mind next go around.
    Last edited by driveclimbslide; 01-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Default Triathlons to Strength, A Journey to Getting Strong

1/3/2012

BW - 191

Squat - 270x5x3

Bench - 195x5x3

Power Clean - 180x3x5

Definitely can feel the difference in nutrition between last week on vacation and now. Almost missed the last set of cleans but just needed to get my mind right. Going to start incorporating some assistance work next week.

Default Re: Triathlons to Strength, A Journey to Getting Strong

starting strength coach development program
    Nice Brah! Those squats are really comin along!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast