starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate programming and weightloss

Default Intermediate programming and weightloss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys I'd like some help. I have been overweight my entire life last year I decided to change that. I began lifting using SS over the year and have seen some nice strength gains despite the fact I was on a caloric deficit.

A few months ago I began to stall so I began Bill Starr's intermediate program and made some more strength gains. But the honeymoon is over. I'm not recovering week to week.

In terms of goals, weight loss is more important to me right now than strength gains, but I love this style of training and don't know how to proceed. If anyone can help me I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks

*stats*
    Male, 23, 295lbs

325/235/415

Set up a TM style program using 3x5 on volume day and singles on intensity day. Diet will be everything for you. Perhaps Jordan can help you with something really specific but in essence you need to be in a caloric deficit for the majority of the week except for the night before your volume day. Plug your cheat meal in that slot. I recommend a diet that is fairly high in protein, very low in fat, and enough carbs to fuel training.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Set up a TM style program using 3x5 on volume day and singles on intensity day. Diet will be everything for you. Perhaps Jordan can help you with something really specific but in essence you need to be in a caloric deficit for the majority of the week except for the night before your volume day. Plug your cheat meal in that slot. I recommend a diet that is fairly high in protein, very low in fat, and enough carbs to fuel training.
    Awesome advice and thank you for the response

Just a question programming the singles on intensity day. Should I do 4 x 5 ramping up to the single then hit 5 x 1 or do a 3 x 5 warm up sets and then 5 x 1?

Something like this maybe:

Volume Day
    Squat: 3 x 5
    Bench: 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 1 x 5
    Assistance: 4x10 weighted sit ups, Tricep Extension 3 x 8

Recovery Day
    Squat 2 x 5 (80% of volume day's weight)
    Press 3 x 5
    Good Morning 2 x 8
    Assisatance: Sit ups 3 x 15, Lat Pulldowns/Pull ups 3 x 8

Intensity Day
    Squat: 4 x 5 (60%, 70%, 80%, 80% of 5rm), 5 x 1 (90% 1rm)
    Bench: 4 x 5 (60%, 70%, 80%, 80% of 5rm), 5 x 1 (90% 1rm)
    BB Rows: 3 x 8
    Assistance: Bench Dips 3 x 8, E-Z Bar Curl 3 x 8

So I'm guessing I should subtract 20 lbs from my upper body lifts and 40lbs from my lower body lifts and give myself 4-6 weeks to acclimate to the program. I'll alternate the presses and add 5 lbs to them each withing the 2 week period, and add 5lbs per week to my squat. I guess when that get's to be too much I'll look into micro loading and adding 2.5lbs and 5lbs to my upper and lower body lifts respectively.

I didn't mention this before but now is as good as any time to say tell you: I actually like cardio and thinking of getting in a half hour of it after my lifting sessions. I find it speeds up my weight loss- I guess there's some metabolic effect to it- which is really my prerogative. If I "eat back" the calories I burn doing cardio, would it still negatively effect my ability to recover?

Quote Originally Posted by slowbro View Post
    Awesome advice and thank you for the response

Just a question programming the singles on intensity day. Should I do 4 x 5 ramping up to the single then hit 5 x 1 or do a 3 x 5 warm up sets and then 5 x 1?
    No. You don't need that much volume on the warm up sets.

Depending on the nature of the cardio, the amount, etc you will probably be ok as long as your nutrition is up to speed. Its been my observation that it really isn't the cardio itself that fucks up the training, its the resulting weight loss that fucks up the training. This is assuming the amount and nature of the activity is fairly moderate.

No. You don't need that much volume on the warm up sets.
    Cool, so how do I do it.

Depending on the nature of the cardio, the amount, etc you will probably be ok as long as your nutrition is up to speed. Its been my observation that it really isn't the cardio itself that fucks up the training, its the resulting weight loss that fucks up the training. This is assuming the amount and nature of the activity is fairly moderate.
    I was thinking of C25k. You don't run over half an hour and you're not going very fast.

How long should rest periods be between singles? This sounds like a really good idea for my upcoming cut. Thanks!

There is a past topic on here about Texas Method and dieting. I didn't start the topic but Andy gave me a lot of helpful advice in it. You should check it out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slowbro View Post
    Cool, so how do I do it.

I was thinking of C25k. You don't run over half an hour and you're not going very fast.
    Example of working up to singles across with 495.

Bar x 10
    135 x 5
    225 x 3-5
    315 x 1
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    455 x 1
    495 x 1 x 5 sets

C25K seems to work pretty well. I've had alot of clients use it behind my back. For those not in the know.......that is Couch to 5K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast