starting strength gym
Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Diane's "elderly" fitness log

Default Diane's "elderly" fitness log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Elderly is definitely not a word I'd use to describe myself but there isn't a suitable female term for "geezer". I'm not old enough for either word but that seems to be how things are done around here. Anybody not in high school is a geezer, or something like that.

I'm 47 years old. I'm about 135lbs and 5'3" tall. I attempted something sorta like Starting Strength but the 3x a week of heavy lifting was just too much for me to keep up with. It also eliminated too many things I like to do. My log will thus be kept over here under "General Training Logs".

My goal is to be healthy and strong, to obtain/maintain a healthy weight (my current weight is probably the best I can achieve, but it would be lovely if I could improve) and enjoy life.

In 2008 and 2009 I hiked the Pacific Crest. Then I gained a lot of weight without being able to stop it. In 2010 I went on a paleo/primal blueprint/low carb type diet and managed to lose about 30lbs.
    Here's the before and after picture:

Here's me backpacking, which is my favorite sporty thing to do:

Here's my PCT tattoo. I hiked the whole thing alone.

I've heard that for maximum results and health you should do a lot of slow movement, run really fast once in a while and lift heavy stuff now and then. So this is what I do:

- Take walks and sometimes jog slowly or ride my bike to work (9 miles one way)
    - Hike on weekends (with elevation gain)
    - Go backpacking once in a while
    - Sprint now and then
    - Do SS Workout A and B on Monday and Thursdays. My workout B has no powercleans and instead has lat pulls, dumbbell rows and back extensions. Maybe assisted pullups. I can't do any pullups so that's why I do these other things instead.

Trying to lift heavy 3x a week really stressed me a lot. I took the entire break over the holidays to recover--from Saturday Dec 22 all the way to Jan 1. For a week I slept 10-12 hours a night. I sat around in the sun and read. I went hiking a couple of times. I finally felt almost normal after a week of rest. I felt really good and full of energy on Jan 1.

Today I did some sprints. I ran the straightaways and jogged or walked the curves on the track. I did 9 sprints total. Then, because the sun felt nice, I ran slowly down to the beach and back to my office where it's freezing ass cold because nobody has heat in Southern California.

Today was a lift day. Felt pretty good.

Squat: 95x3x5

Press: 50x3x5

Deadlift: 135x1x5 Yay! My pre-X-mas body weight.

Deadlift is the only thing I increased today. Sadly, just as I noticed someone was watching me I totally rounded my back on that one rep. Ugh. Wow, the bar is really high off the ground once you put a 45lb plate on.

Glad to see you are still keeping a log on here!

And, hiking the entire PCT is extremely badass. I backpacked a lot in my teens and 20s, and know this to be true. Impressive!

I would have suggested "mature" or "experienced" instead of "elderly" but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, the bar is really high off the ground once you put a 45lb plate on.
    Nice, isn't it! I was so happy when I first got to a 135 deadlift.

Hi Diane. I'm moving to 2x per week too. (Getting Overtrained on 3x per week) I'm reluctant to move my log, though, as I'm afraid of
    losing some of the folks who have been supporting me with their comments. In a few weeks I'll ask you how the move has gone for you and reconsider if I should move over here.

Wow, people have replied to my new log. I guess it's working okay, Gene.

Today I am super sore. Sprinting always makes my legs sore. My back is sore from deadlift. My arms are sore from press. My inner legs/groin hurt from squat and sprinting. When on earth will I ever get used to sprinting and lifting?

My right ankle has been in real pain, not just muscle soreness, from squatting, I think. When I bend it forward far enough it really hurts. Happens sometimes when I walk down the stairs or when I'm hiking. I felt it when I did squats yesterday, too. I blame squatting only because it's the newest thing I'm doing in that region of my body.

Today the most strenuous thing I am going to do is take a walk in the sun. It's so cold in my office. We have no heat. I'm wearing gloves, arm warmers, hat, and a sleeping bag. Not kidding.

I'm wearing gloves, arm warmers, hat, and a sleeping bag. Not kidding.
    Why? Is Bed, Bath, and Beyond out of Snuggies? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fv0d6RyzAo

starting strength coach development program
    Wow, people have replied to my new log.
    Sure, I will be following you!

You hiked the Cascade Crest! Cool. I've spent 40 years on the WA section of the trail and the surrounding mountains (mostly the surrounding mts). I'd love to hear more about your trip if you have somewhere you can point me where you've already written about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    I'm reluctant to move my log, though, as I'm afraid of
    losing some of the folks who have been supporting me with their comments. In a few weeks I'll ask you how the move has gone for you and reconsider if I should move over here.
    Gene, I don't go to specific forums. I go to 'new posts' and thats it. If there has been any posting it'll pop up for me. No posting, me no see! Put your log where ever, I'm in the General Lifting forum too. I'm not going to quit supporting anyone who has an active log that I find interesting.

Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast