starting strength gym

Thread: How do you tell if your abs are a weak link?

Default How do you tell if your abs are a weak link?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I started SS 6 mos. ago and recently switched over to 5/3/1 in the past couple months. Wendler prescribes ab work in most of his templates, so I have incorporated some but I am wondering if it is necessary. I haven't had sore abs after Squats/DL since the beginning of SS but notice a sore low back often. When I switched to 5/3/1 I started doing chin ups and I noticed sore abs after the first couple of times chinning (I am not very good at them). How do you know when ab work becomes necessary?

Stats are as follows: 25yo M, 5'10", 225 lb, 1RM squat and DL mid 300s. I was at about the same weight at the beginning of SS.

P.S. The advice you gave for the BBB template of 5x5 at 70% has been effective for me so far, it is challenging but you don't need to wait long between sets. The 5x10 at 50% seemed more like an endurance test for squats and not very challenging for the upper body.

Thanks!

I haven't seriously trained my abs for about the last 10 years.

My guess is that Wendler prescribes them in his book as a preventative mechanism to guard against 8 billion emails asking:

"Great program Jim, but where do I put ab work in?"

I might be wrong though.

Default How do you tell if your abs are a weak link?

If you are pressing, squatting, and deadlifting with good form, I can't think of any reason why you need to train abs

This is basically what I came up with. I suppose it could help in theory, but I have never lose a press or squat because of my abs.

They are the first assistance I drop when in a hurry or tired. Mostly a waste of time and energy if you want to-consider useful gym time. I think hanging leg raises just add grip volume work in my case. I ever skip lower back assistance though.