starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My current modified SS

Default My current modified SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm currently doing "heavily modified" SS program with a lot of success. Here's a bit of background on my current lifts. I started lifting in June~July after dropping outta P90X, took me good 4 months to find SS and another month to get the squat right, my current 5RM stats are: Squat: 102kg, Bench 90kg, Deadlift 110kg, OHP 47 and Clean 50kg @ 82kg body weight.

I modified my SS heavily and still feel good, now I know a lot of people are gonna jump me and say don't change the program but I thought I might share it and hear what other people have to say if they modified their SS to add more assistance exercises.

The routine:
    Monday
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Clean
    Chinups

Wed
    Deadlift
    Bench/Press
    Row
    Weighted Dips
    Triceps (optional)

Friday
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Hyper
    Pullup

Saturday
    RDL
    Biceps
    Seated Row
    Dips
    Triceps

I'm still recovering and eating at +500 calo surplus, my squat never stalled don't see it coming at all. I wish I could add some more incline DB press, rack pull and snatch to help with major compound exercises. Now I still remember the SS shouldn't be modified, but has anyone had success with modified programmings? Please give me some input on my current routine. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tazui1982; 01-15-2013 at 01:48 AM.

You can add in your gazillion assistance exercises after SS. What you are doing is a mistake. Everyone who has done SS will tell you that same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    You can add in your gazillion assistance exercises after SS. What you are doing is a mistake. Everyone who has done SS will tell you that same thing.
    Would you elaborate a bit more please, adding assistance after SS? As in after I reach my LP or after Friday when I'm done with the weekly routine? The reason I added assistance exercises is because I feel ton of energy left and only need 36hours to recover.

Apart from the chinups, at your lifts I don't think you need any of the assistance stuff you've put in. I have trained lots of guys your size or smaller who've got past where you are now without any of that other stuff.

The point of assistance work is to aid progression in the main lifts. At your level, it usually won't aid but will just slow things down. Now, if you're not in a hurry to get there then that's okay, no-one has a moral obligation to get stronger as fast as possible. If the added variety keeps you coming to the gym, all good. You have to balance wants and needs. But you don't need the weighted dips, the RDLs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Apart from the chinups, at your lifts I don't think you need any of the assistance stuff you've put in. I have trained lots of guys your size or smaller who've got past where you are now without any of that other stuff.

The point of assistance work is to aid progression in the main lifts. At your level, it usually won't aid but will just slow things down. Now, if you're not in a hurry to get there then that's okay, no-one has a moral obligation to get stronger as fast as possible. If the added variety keeps you coming to the gym, all good. You have to balance wants and needs. But you don't need the weighted dips, the RDLs, etc.
    Ah yea, thanks for input Kyle, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with want and need. Funny thing is, the reason I go extra days is because I go to squat in one gym and 2 more days to another gym, the first one has squat rack the second one only smith machine and I'm stuck with it for 2 more months cause I paid 1 year membership last February

Do not use the Smith machine, you will fuck your knees.

Just do goblet squats with a heavy dumbbell. Easy to do, check out youtube for one million examples.

A yeah, I do squat in another gym with squat rack and barbell, on days when I don't squat I go to another gym to work with other lifts.

IMO that routine isn't that bad but you need to squat twice a week with a barbell on your back

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    So, not SS. At all. Just do the program. If you can't fit it in your schedule, do a different program.
    Not SS but he's still progressing and enjoying his lifting so who the fuck cares if it's 'SS' or not. Get a life.

starting strength coach development program
    Agree with the above comment, ss is more of a concept of linear progression in the sense a beginner can add weight to the bar every workout. Doesn't mean you program is bad, i feel the main thing is keeping with a program and still progressing at some rate is key. I would add another squat session in though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast