starting strength gym

Thread: difficulties with novice program

Default difficulties with novice program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am currently experiencing a number of signs that something is changing. I have done the ss novice program 12 weeks. Good progress: Squat 145-300, press 75-137.5, deadlift 225-375, bench 135-190, power cleans 135-175. Increased calories body weight up 160-195.

Linear progress has worked well up to this point; reset squat x1 for groin injury, reset bench x1, reset deadlift x1. However i find that by my third workout of the week i am exhausted and seem to be stalling or regressing for the last couple weeks. I also have noticed my squats are suffering after deadlifts and my two day rest (deadlift x1 a week). I feel as though I am progressing but perhaps not workout to workout and feeling quite exhausted by the end of workouts and by the end of the week.

Is it time for a change? I feel the culprit is increasing squat x3 but I am not sure. Any suggestions for what to consider?

Are you doing the light squat day on Wednesday yet?

I do not remember reading about a light squat day, is it in the ss3 edition? Wednesday as in the second workout day of the week? How much lighter, 10-20%?

This seemed like the intuitive solution anyway, thanks for the clarification and I will give it a try.

Yes, about a 10-20% back off for 3x5 on the middle squat day. Or, you could just try adding more rest days in like this:

Wkout A
    Off
    Off
    Wkout B
    Off
    Off
    Repeat

Workouts don't fall on the same days each week. It works with some people's schedule, not with others, but the extra day of rest between sessions can do alot of good.