starting strength gym
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's Video Powerlifting Log

Default Mike's Video Powerlifting Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a while. The 2013 goals thread is what finally got me to join up. After I posted that my goals were to squat 600 bench over 300 and deadlift 600, someone suggested that I start a log on here. I already video all of my training sessions and upload them to youtube, so I figure this is a logical next step.

Before you judge me and wonder what kind of narcissistic psyco videos all of their training, let me explain that I train alone in my basement, but it has not always been that way. I started competing in powerlifting in college and trained with a good group of guys. We still stay in touch and exchange videos to help coach each other.

Since I train alone now I train and compete totally raw (notice the use of lower case showing I am not a zealot). At first, I had pretty bad raw form due to switching over from geared lifting. Starting Strength saved my form and I have been making solid, steady progress since using the 5/3/1 method and the form Mark advocates in his book.

My goals as of right now are to make the move from the 198 class to 220. I have been competing at 198 for years and know I need to gain some weight to realize more of my potential. Due to trying to add quality lean mass I am currently running a 5x5 program which has many advantages for me at this time. It has greater volume than 5/3/1, which is allowing me to gain some weight and the greater volume of work on the main lifts is helping me improve my form faster.

As for my best lifts in gear I totaled 1420 going 550/370/500

My best raw lifts in a meet are 505/290/530 but my best total is only 1300.

My goals are to squat 600 bench over 300 and deadlift 600 in the next year. I am currently working full time and in graduate school so these are lofty goals, but I do enjoy a challenge.

Enough talk, this is supposed to be a VIDEO log after all. Here is some footage of my most recent meet and best total of 1300 at 198. I did not have my bench with me at all this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SRgNo5k6C8
    Last edited by MichaelPost; 01-23-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: I guess I can't embed videos...

Default Squat Training

I will post my 4 most recent training sessions to give you guys an idea of what I am doing. I don't film all of the accessory work usually, but I do get all of the main sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwEruc-Skc

80% Squat Day:

Warm Ups
    350x5
    350x5
    350x5
    350x5
    350x8 PR! (I run the last set just like I used to with 5/3/1)

Weighted Crunches:
    110x12
    110x10
    110x8

I am destroyed after the 5x5 squats, hopefully I will begin to add more accessory work as I adapt to the main lift volume involved in this program.

Default Military Press Training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSobTTEDvXg

80% Press:

Warm Ups
    140x5
    140x5
    140x5
    140x5
    140x8 PR!

Paused Pull-Ups: Each rep was paused at the bottom, this made them very hard!
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5

Dips:
    BWx10
    +25x10
    +25x10
    +25x10

Default Deadlift Training

70% Deadlift Training https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBAgZbtas1Y

Deadlift
    340x5
    340x5
    340x5
    340x5
    340x10

Hyperextensions:
    30 pounds x 12
    30 pounds x 12
    30 pounds x 12

Leg Raises
    3 sets 12 reps

Default Bench Training From Last Night

Bench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9AVHnpQ0g
    Warm Ups:
    210x5
    210x5
    210x5
    210x5
    210x12

DB Rows:
    90x10 5 sets

welcome to the board man. I tape a lot of my lifts as well - but I am a psycho. 2 rep PR's in 1 week - good stuff man.

Nice work man. I like the layout a lot.

Thanks for posting guys. I really appreciate having other people reading along. Since I train alone I figure this is a great way to get some feedback.

Patrick - As far as the layout goes. I am going to keep adding in more accessory work volume, but for right now the 5x5 sets wreck me pretty badly.

Default Having a less then stellar day

Here is my squat training from yesterday. I had a very unusual day at work on Friday which messed with my meals and had me sitting much more than I usually do. I think this contributed to a less than stellar training session to finish up the week.

Also, I learned that I need to warm up more. I go through a mobility routine before training, but I need to do more warm up sets with the bar and 135. My basement is cold (around 55 degrees) so I need to do more to warm up. I did not do enough here and my right hip hurt me the entire time. This messed with my hip drive out of the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n1lQU_h2Lc

Squats: 70%
    Warm Ups x not enough
    340x5
    340x5
    340x5
    340x5
    340x5

Weighted Crunches with a 2 second hold at the top
    110x10
    110x10
    110x10

I also increased my training max more than the 10 pounds I should have for this wave. I was feeling really good on the squat and thought I should push it a bit closer to my deadlift training max since my goal is to move 600 in both of those lifts by the end of the year. I think I moved my training max too far and am going to back it down again to where it was programmed to be. I need to be content with slow, steady progress over a long time frame.

Also, I personally don't need to kill it with heavy training weights to squat big in a meet. During my last meet cycle I never handled more that 385 for reps and squatted 505 on my 3rd attempt at the meet. I need to remember to train optimally, not maximally.

Last thing, and it has nothing to do with training. If someone can help me with embedding videos I would appreciate it. I copy the text from the embed page on youtube and paste it into my posts, but it does not work. Do you need to hit a certain post count before you can post videos?

starting strength coach development program
    That's a heck of a lot of volume, whew. I guess you build up a tolerance over the years.

I video all my squats and deads also, for the same reason -- I don't trust myself to keep good form otherwise. I've never figured out how to embed my videos either, I link them like you have been doing.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast