starting strength gym

Thread: Combining conditioning with strength sessions (i.e. Litvinov workout)?

Default Combining conditioning with strength sessions (i.e. Litvinov workout)?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been trying to add more conditioning and high intensity cardio work. Inspired by Dan John's Litvinov workout (squat followed by a sprint), I've been doing the following:

Squat x 5 reps IMMEDIATELY followed by:
    All out treadmill run (30 seconds @ 9 MPH / 12% grade)

Repeat for the three squat sets.

Then I do the same after my deadlifts, or on PC day I do 5 sets of three PCs and run after each one.

Thus far it doesn't seem to be hurting my lift progress at all, so long as I still rest for 3-5 minutes before the next set.

So does this seem like a reasonable strategy that is likely to be effective? I'm just finding it hard to do anything too intense on an off day -- not because of recovery for the next workout, but because of just too little gas in the tank.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Why not just condition after the workout is over?

Because I'm a bit fried by then. I figure that if I'm taking 5 minutes between squat sets, I can at least take away 30 seconds of that to sprint my guts out. It takes less than that 4 1/2 minutes to get my heart rate back down.

Dan John seems like a great guy, and smart, but after reading his book and some of his articles, I have to say I think his ideas about programming are just goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    Because I'm a bit fried by then. I figure that if I'm taking 5 minutes between squat sets, I can at least take away 30 seconds of that to sprint my guts out. It takes less than that 4 1/2 minutes to get my heart rate back down.
    Do what you want, but I have never known anyone who ever got strong by doing all out 30 second sprints between squat sets.

What about your legs? You understand that you are supposed to be resting your legs between sets right? All out sprints don't exactly qualify as rest.

I'm telling you dude, this recommendation is bullshit if you are trying to get strong. Now, if you are already strong, and you just want to do this because it sounds fun then go ahead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Dan John seems like a great guy, and smart, but after reading his book and some of his articles, I have to say I think his ideas about programming are just goofy.
    Agreed. I don't get the front squat thing or the kettlebell thing.