starting strength gym
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy's Training Log

Default Billy's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, I'm new to forums, at least in the aspect of posting. Guess I should start this off with some stats.

Height: 5'9
    Body weight: 186ish, depending on time of day and milk consumption.

PR's
    Squat: Gym - 405, Competition - 435 (both w/ knee wraps)
    Bench: Gym - 285 touch 'n go, Competition - 275
    Deadlift: Gym - 445, Competition - 460
    Snatch: Gym - 205, Competition - 205
    Clean & Jerk: Gym - 255, Competition - 245

The next meet I have on schedule is a powerlifting meet up at Brute so I doubt there will be much weightlifting done, unless I get a wild hair I need to pluck one weekend.

This past weekend I competed in the Myrtle Beach Pro/Am. Overall it was a great meet and got to meet some really good lifters, including Hannah Johnson from EFS.

A few days out from the meet (Wednesday) I dropped carbs and sodium and jacked up my water intake to do a quick depletion before weigh-ins Friday morning. The cut went well and the lack on food didn't affect me too much. Fortunately I only live a few hours away and was able to wake up Friday morning to make the trek down to Myrtle and hit the weigh-ins around 9:30. I weighed in at 176 and then started the repletion period off with a visit to IHOP. After a day of eating and hydrating let's skip forward to meet day.

Mac and Gillian Ward from Crystal Coast Strength & Conditioning helped me prep for the meet and were nice enough to go to the meet as well. I can't thank them enough for all the help. Squats started off w a little bit of a mix up and I actually timed out of my first attempt. Fortunately the head judge let me go ahead with the attempt. With all the adrenaline going from that mishap, 375 blew up and was more or less a blur. My second attempt was at 415, no mishap on this one. It wasn't a grinder and went up with decent speed. Third attempt was at 435 (45lb meet pr) and it was a true 1RM that day.

Bench was decent. I opened at 265. Slowed the descent way too much the last 1/3 of the lift and it was harder than it should have been on the way up. Second attempt was at 275 (10lb meet pr) and went much better. I brought the weight down quicker and it felt like it went up quicker than 265. Took 285 for my third. The descent went well but got stuck a few inches off my chest.

On to deadlifts. I opened at 450 and the weight went up quick, and I was already looking forward to my next attempt. 480 was on tap next. This would have been a 20lb meet pr but it wasn't in the cards that day. I got the weight just below my knees and hit a wall. Went for 480 again on my third but was barely able to break the weight off the ground.

All in all it was a great meet and I ended with a 50lb meet pr. Thanks again to Mac for helping me with the meet prep and coaching on meet day. The squat pr wouldn't have happened without him.

I've tried a few different programs in the past but I am currently going to exhaust linear progression to see how much I can get out of it. (I've never done SS with gomad in the past, so I'm going to see how far I can push it.)

Today was the first day back under the bar and just did some lighter work.

Squat 3x3 315
    Bench 3x3 205
    Deadlift 3x3 315

Billy, I'm glad to see you posting your log here. You did great at the meet and it's just the beginning for you. I look forward to watching your progress in the gym. You've got great potential. I'm glad that you used the jerk blocks too. They were getting dusty.

Thanks Billy! You are a joy to coach. Looking forward to competing alongside you at Brute. Perhaps we will get Jordan to help us out!

Welcome buddy. Looking forward to following your progress.

Monday February 4th

Squats
    2x5 45lbs
    1x5 135
    1x3 225
    1x3 275, belted up
    3x5 300

Press
    2x5 45lbs
    1x5 95
    1x3 115
    3x5 135

Deadlift
    2x5 135lbs
    1x5 225
    1x2 315
    1x5 350, went to mixed grip and belted up (should have belted up for the one before but I didn't)

Had to wait until after the conditioning class to hit my pull ups
    Pull ups 1x8
    Chins 2x8

Everything felt smooth and fast today. I'm attending the pulling camp this weekend with Jordan and I'm pretty stoked about what he is going to be able to present.

I'm excited to see how far you can push linear progression. There is so much still left untapped for you. Great speed on your squats yesterday. You won't be stalling anytime soon.

Thanks Gillian! I'm pretty stoked about it also, especially since it has been my perceived worst lift.

Wednesday February 6th

Squats
    2x5 45lbs
    1x5 135
    1x3 225
    1x3 275, belt on
    3x5 305

Bench
    2x5 45
    1x5 135
    1x3 185
    1x3 205
    3x5 225

Deadlift
    2x5 135
    1x5 225
    1x2 315
    1x5 355, threw on the belt and switched to a mixed grip

Barbell rows
    2x8 135

Passed out for about an hour after lunch and felt pretty groggy the rest of the day. Still a solid day of lifting and everything felt good.

Fridays workout will be pushed to Saturday morning before the pulling camp....might need to double up on milk intake that day haha.

Ditch the rows, homey. We'll add more when you're ready.

Copy that.

starting strength coach development program
    This was a pretty interesting training session since there was a nice 2-3 hr break thrown in just before deadlifts. There was also a nice little set of 3 power cleans thrown in about an hour after the deads. Needless to say it was a pretty long day. But Jordan did an awesome job with the pulling camp. Crazy smart guy who is really chill. Best of luck to him in his medical career.

Saturday February 9

Squat
    2x5 45lbs
    1x5 135
    1x3 225
    1x2 275, threw on the belt
    3x5 310

Press
    2x5 45
    1x5 95
    1x3 120
    3x5 140

Downed a protein shake and some Quizno's Gillian was nice enough to get for us.

Deadlifts (since this was during the pulling camp the volume was a lot higher than it would normally be in a workout)
    1x5 135
    1x5 225
    1x5 315, threw on the belt and used a hook grip
    1x5 365, went to a mixed grip

Power cleans (all sets were taken to 3 reps)
    Honestly wasn't paying much attention to the weight, but I finished with 100kgx3

Squats and presses felt stupid fast, and these are the two lifts I'm really looking forward to pr'ing on.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast