starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JayShort21's Workout Journal- A Starting Strength Journey!!

Default JayShort21's Workout Journal- A Starting Strength Journey!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello! I really haven't posted much but I have been lurking these forums like crazy the last 6 months or so.

I am copying and pasting my current log from another site to bring you guys up to speed. I have 6 workouts posted already there so those will follow.

Well to give you some background, etc. I had a few years of lifting experience in high school. I got fairly strong(for me) for a 17 year old and 165 pounds or so. But I focused mostly on Bench Press, Tricep Extensions and Curls! Ha, like most highschool teens, no leg work at all, and I especially avoided squats.

After that I did nothing for a few years, got fat up to 225 at my height of 5'10", chubby, soft and totally out of shape. So I got myself some motivation and bought P90X. I worked really hard for the 90 days and I had great results! I got down to about 176 and was in the best shape of my life. I figure I was probably around 8% body fat or so. But as you know, I didn't have much of any muscle. But that was okay, I just liked that I was in good shape and looked decent with my shirt off, ha! After that intense first round I took a few months off, then dabbled back in P90 a few times here and there but never stuck with it the same as the vids got VERY boring and ridiculous. I ended up staying around 189-195 for the next couple years. Decent shape IMO, but still a little chub and not much muscle mass.

I started lifting again back in late July. I did a lot of research and found that SS was the best workout plan for me. I tried jumping into on my own for a few weeks. I thought I was doing well, but my technique wasn't very good and most of that was because, 1) I didn't know proper form and 2) because I was doing more weight then i should have done. I had some old knee problems that flared up so i took a break for a few months. Also, I was trying to do this program while on a calorie deficit! Big mistake! I just wasn't eating enough to keep up with the daily weight increases.

The one great thing I did was actually buy the Starting Strength Book. I learned a lot. I learned a lot. I learned a lot. I would 100% recommend this book to anyone who doesn't have much weight lifting experience. Or someone who hasn't been taught the main core lifts.

I restarted SS the correct way on Nov 13th. My starting weight was 191 pounds. I started light due to my knee and mistakes the 1st time. Starting lifts were:

Squat 115 x 5
    Bench 125 x 5
    Deadlift 115 x 5
    Press 85 x 5
    Row 75 x 5

As you can see there, I am doing Rows instead of Power Cleans. My gym doesn't have bumper plates. So we are going with Rows, maybe at some point if I switch gyms then I will be able to incorporate Cleans.

I've been steady with my progress to this point except for a bad sickness I had that slowed me down for a few weeks. I have been making steadily increasing all my lift and adding mass for sure.

My only problem right now is making it to the gym 3 times a week. I for sure make it 2 times, but because of my schedule that last day is really tough. So I am going to try to switch my workout days from M/W/F to Sun/Tues/Thurs. Hopefully I can make this switch and be able to lift 3 times a week.

The reason I am making this log is to help track my progress. I'm hoping by posting it online that by having others following my progress and giving me advice I will be able to stick with it.

Anyways, thanks for the read and hope a few of you can follow along! I'm going to post my last few workouts just to give you an idea of progress and a starting point.

I forgot to state my goals.

I am doing starting strength to make strength and size gains. I am eating at a calorie surplus and making sure I get PLENTY of protein.

Once I tap out my SS gains on a linear progression, I plan to start on a cut to get me under 10% BF at least and have a nice body for summer. I don't really know the best way to do that yet. I'm thinking of trying MadCows on a calorie deficit and see how that goes? IDK, I would actually appreciate some advice there... I know I need to eat at a calorie deficit. So please don't just post that.

Anyways on to my first workout that I will post

01/14 Day A
    Squat
    215 x 5
    215 x 5
    215 x 5

Squats surprisingly felt good. I was worried about the weight since this is a PR for me. Pretty much all of my lifts are PR's, lol! Except for bench at least.

I moved the weight well, I just need to make sure I stay tight with the weight on my back and use the bounce at the bottom for the hip raise.

Bench
    180 x 5
    180 x 5
    180 x 5

Felt good. I feel like Bench is not all that challenging yet. I know that will come in the coming weeks. But I want to lift more. But I am sticking wit the program and slowly raising the weight.

Deadlift
    225 x 5

I moved the weight okay. I felt the weight for sure tho. Again, PR for me here!

Only problem with my workout this day was the Squat Rack was taken. My gym only has 1 and guy was doing shrugs in the rack. Why The F do people do that? So annoying...

01/16 Day B

This is my most recent workout.

Squat
    220 x 5
    220 x 5
    220 x 5

Again, weight felt surprisingly good. Again a PR! 2 plates next workout, woohoo!

My legs tired at the end of the last set for sure tho!

Press
    115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5

Felt Good. Just need to stay tight and make sure I get myself enough rest between sets. I felt a bit rushed and I felt it on the last set.

Rows
    105 x 5
    105 x 5
    105 x 5

Felt Good. No problem.

Pull Ups

These are frustrating for me. When I was doing p90x before I was able to do 23 of these! And now only 7. I do way 20-25 pounds more than I did back then. And that was at the beginning of my workout, not at the end. But still, it is frustrating.

Abs-
    I did Decline Weighted Sit Ups. 25 Pounds for 20 reps. 2 sets.

This was my first workout on a Sunday. Hopefully this will allow me to get to the gym 3x a week.

01/20 Day A
    Squat
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

Squats felt good. I had to really focus on my last set. But I managed to get the weight up which is good. I'm really happy about the progress I'm making. Again, PR as well.

Bench
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5

My most challenging bench workout yet. It's a little frustrating because when I was younger I was able to do 205 x 5 but I just need to remind myself that I need to keep making progress.

Deadlift
    235 x 3

I was only able to get up 3 of the reps. I'm thinking either one of two things happened:

1) I warmed up too much. Usually I just warmup with the bar for 5 reps, then 135 for 5 reps then do m main lift. Today I added in an extra set of 185 for 3 reps.

2) My grip strength. I have been wearing gloves. And I have heard that can actually lessen your grip. So I'm also going to try using chalk as well. I haven't used that before. I just don't know if I'm going to try that with or without the gioves? I'm thinking chalk with the gloves won't be a good thing? I'm also thinking that if I take the gloves off then just my bare hands won't be able to hold the 235 I'm already at?

Anybody have any thoughts on the grip strength, use of gloves or chalk?

Jan 22 Tuesday
    Day B

Squat

230 x 5
    230 x 4
    230 x 5

Again a pr

I came up short on my 2nd set. I was loosing grip of the bar on my left side. Because I do the low bar squat I felt the bar slipping down. That's been happening lately. Maybe I need to chalk my hands? Maybe widen my grip so I can get a better grab?

Press
    120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5

Felt good. I can feel the weight getting tougher on the later sets.

Row
    110 x 5
    110 x 5
    110 x 5

Felt good.

Pull Up- wide grip

I hope to keep going here !

Abs
    Hanging leg lifts side to side
    2 sets of 12 to each side
    1 set of 15 straight

Good workout.

Jan 24th Day A
    Squat

235 x 5
    235 x 5
    235 x 5

Only problem here is the bar is falling down my back. I'm really trying to make a shelf to keep it steady and I'm trying to keep my elbows up and back. Today is a bit better than last time, but not my much. I need help!

Bench

190 x 5
    190 x 5
    190 x 5

Felt good again. I'm making progress...

Deadlift

240 x 5

CHALK! I LOVE CHALK! It helped a bunch being able to grip the bar. I still need to work on my grip strength tho. I think I'm gonna invest in some grippers

Dips

I'm gonna try and get 3 sets of 12 then start adding weight.

Abs

25lbs decline sit ups, 20 reps, 2 sets.

01/27/2013 Day B

Squat

240 x 3 FAIL---
    185 x 5
    185 x 5

I worked out early Sunday morning. Earlier than usual and I think that is why I failed my Squat. I think I leaned forward a bit too much as well and with not enough hip drive. But next time for the AM I'm gonna start using my PWO which is White Flood. I really don't have much experience with these, but i hope it helps give me the extra energy first thing in the AM.

Press

125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Really hard to get all my reps but I powered through. On my last set I really had to get aggressive but it helped me get the weight up.

Row

115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5

Felt Good.

Jan 29 Day A

Squat
    240 x 5
    240 x 5
    240 x 5

Felt Good. I paid more attention to not leaning to far forward, but i think the PWO helped a ton. I'm just not used to lifting that much weight 30 min after I wake up.

Bench
    195 x 5
    195 x 5
    195 x 5

Felt Good. Ready for more weight. I did start to slow a bit on the last set, but nothing extreme.

Deadlift

250 x 5

I still can't believe what a difference chalk makes! I felt strong lifting that much weight even tho its not much, 250 is the most I've ever moved on a barbell.

Dips

My plan it to be able to hit 3 sets of 12 and then start adding weight. Anybody have a good recommendations on a good belt where I can hang plates but will still be a good Powerlifting Belt?

Let me know if you have any suggestions...

Here was todays workout...

Jan 31st Day B

Squat
    245 x 5
    245 x 3
    245 x 3

The weight felt fine on the first set. The reason I failed on the 2nd and 3rd was because I was having problems keeping the bar from falling down my back. It rolled down like 2-3 inches and I felt like it might just fall off my back all together. I need to find a way to stop this from happening. The last workout it wasn't such a problem, but today it was.

I think the shirt I wore has a bit of polyester in it and is old so that caused the bar to roll? IDK maybe I need to work on my form somehow.

Also, my left shoulder is hurting me as well and that's the side the bar has been slipping. There has been a bruise on my shoulder.

Press
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Every set was grueling. But I got it up. I need to make sure I get my rest here as well.

Row

125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Felt good. I'm thinking the weight may be to light especially as opposed to how hard my other lifts are.

Pull Ups

Better, even with the hurt shoulder.

Abs-- Hanging Side Angled Leg Lifts

2 sets of 15

starting strength coach development program
    Feb 3rd Day A

My gym only has one Squat rack and it was taken for 30 min or so and I had to Bench first.

Bench
    200 x 5
    200 x 5
    200 x 5

Felt good.

Squat
    250 x 5
    250 x 5
    250 x 5

Overall I was happy. Especially because I was worried about upping the weight after the tough workout last time. I looked at a ton of videos on the SS site and different critiques and found that I need to keep my chest up more and it seemed to help a bunch. The last set I didn't stay tight all the way at the bottom of the lift and made it tough on myself. I will work on that.

Deadlift
    260 x 4

I think my problem here was the fact that I benched first and right away I was going from my PR Squat for 3 sets to a PR Deadlift try 8-10 min later.

Also, I did buy 3 pairs of the Captains of Crushes to help strengthen my grip, so that will help deadlift grip as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast