starting strength gym

Thread: Do you have your MMA fighters do olympic lifts

Default Do you have your MMA fighters do olympic lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just wondering if you include olympic lifting with your MMA fighters? Also could you give me an example of what a conditioning schedule would look like? I realize its probably tuff to make a conditioning routine on top of actual MMA training time and keeping your diet in tune for your weight class. I am considering trying a couple of MMA fights is why I am curious.

It depends on the fighter and how much time during the week I have to work with them and their aptitude in the weight room.

I don't always get to work with them as often as I would like and so I tend to focus my efforts on what I think will generate the biggest return. For instance, if I only get to work with a kid for 8 weeks 2x/week prior to a fight, then that is only 16 workouts. That isn't alot of time and I am not gonna waste a second having him do light O-lifts. If they struggle with the cleans/snatches and can't move much weight, then I won't hesitate to scrap them. Technique work at light weights doesn't do much.

Some of this depends on the fighter too. If a kid shows up and on day one can only deadlift 225x5 then chances are, he will deadlift EVERY workout until fight time. If he shows up and does 365x5 on day one, then I will consider alternating his deadlifts with power cleans.

Snatches I like on a HLM schedule with snatches as the light day pulling movement. However, i don't get most of them on a 3 day schedule, so I wind up not using them much.

But to better answer your question......Yes, I like the olympic lifts for MMA fighters but not as much as I like Squats/Presses/Deadlifts/Weighted Chins