starting strength gym
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: SquatQueen's Log

Default SquatQueen's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started posting on the Competitive forum back in February 2012, but I haven't competed yet. And every time I read the tag line, "Not just fucking around" I think, well, I am kind of fucking around, so...I've kicked myself out of that forum and into this one. So, here's my first post in Intermediate, where I will dwell until I stop fucking around.

(Quick stats- Age 53, 5'1", 135 lbs, rotator cuff surgery 12/2011, 12/2012 back injury L-4/5 bulging disks with sciatica.)

A great night for squatting. Minimal, almost negligible back pain. Finally! That was one painful, annoying injury.

Squat. I had to stop LBBS a while back because of my injured shoulder, but after months of HBBS my shoulder feels great, so I'm going to try to low bar again unless the pain returns.

5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 3x155, 2x165, 1x170, 3x5x175. All in good form with good depth except for the 3rd rep of the 3rd set--I could tell it was too shallow because it felt way too easy!

Bench. I'm in triple digits now. Woo!

5x45, 5x65, 3x85, 2x95, 1x97.5, 4x3x101, 1x2x101, 1x3x101. I intended to do 5x3x101. Wouldn't you know the last rep of the last freaking set my shoulders didn't stay pinned and I couldn't get that last lift. So, I rested for a few minutes and redid that last set and nailed it. Yes.

I had hoped to do some light presses but I ran out of time.

I also want to build in some conditioning into my workouts, but my lifting is chewing up all the time I have. May need to hit the gym in the mornings on off days to push the prowler, row, sprint or something unpleasant like that. Hmmm. Where's my motivation?

Marked

Oldman worked out in the basement tonight. I drank Scotch. I still feel virtuous.

Looking good, SquatQueen! Happy to see you feeling good.

It is tough to get conditioning in! I am spending waaaaayyyyy too long there on training/conditioning days, but my habit of exercising my mouth also contributes to the problem.

Good squatting! Glad you're almost mended :-)

Thanks for the nice words.

Couldn't get to the gym over the weekend due to my son's weekend soccer tournament. Usually when I take such time off, I come back even stronger. Tonight I didn't have it in me squat-wise. Not sure why other than I bumped up my 3x5 squat set from last Thursday's 175 to tonight's 180. I felt strong and well rested going into the sets; warm ups were good and strong. No warning, and then BAM! I couldn't do my work set. All I can think of is that I skipped lunch and was feeling a little light headed, but I had a banana, almonds and a slice of cheese before heading off to the gym. Dunno. Maybe I did too many warm ups? Will try again on Thursday. On the other hand, I bumped my 5x3 press sets up by 1/2 a lb--woohoo. I love those 1/4 lb microplates.

squat 5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 3x155, 2x165, 1x175, tried 3x5x180 but did 1x3x180, 2x4x180, 1x3x180. Meh. Re-do.

press 5x45, 5x55, 2x65, 1x70, 5x3x73.

Starting rack pulls tonight. Fun.

Mixed reviews. I know I'm getting up there in weight relative to my body weight, so I need to stop being so hard on myself. I was very pissed off tonight because I did not achieve what I had programmed for myself, but both my husband and Tamara were awesome and not only pointed out the body weight issue but also gave me great pointers on technique. Somehow I partially lost my mojo and I need to get it back.

Squat. Re-did my lift from Tuesday at 3x5x180. 5x45, 5x95, 3x135, 3x155, 2x165, 1x175. 3x5x180. First set lifts 1 and 5 were too shallow. Set two was great. Set three was a mess--I ended up doing partial good mornings on a fewof the lifts. I am mixing up my high and low bar squatting technique. I need to focus on one or the other. I know I can lift more with LBBS, but my shoulder will stay healthy with HBBS, so the latter it shall be. I decided to throw in an additional 2x2x180 to work on my form since the 3rd set was so shitty. Much better form on doubles thanks to feedback from husband Oldman and coach Tamara.

Bench. 5x45, 5x65, 3x85, 2x100, Tried 5x3x103.5. What actually happened was 1x2x103.5. 2x2x103. 1x1x103 1x2x103. 1x1x103. Goddamit. Motherloving operation upper body strength needs work.

That took the entire 2 hours at the gym. Holy crap. I need this to be my full time job.

On a personal note, my teens made me laugh so hard last night that I popped a blood vessel in my eye. That's how much my family rocks. I look like I got in a bar brawl.
    Last edited by SquatQueen; 02-07-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: very important edits

With your numbers, you really ought to be competing. There's a lot I can relate to here, including the weekend-on-the-soccer-field phenomenon. Sadly, I can't yet relate to the 180-lb. squat. Keep up the good work, SquatQueen!

Quote Originally Posted by 5inthehall View Post
    With your numbers, you really ought to be competing. .... Keep up the good work, SquatQueen!
    I agree! But what do I know?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 5inthehall View Post
    With your numbers, you really ought to be competing. There's a lot I can relate to here, including the weekend-on-the-soccer-field phenomenon. Sadly, I can't yet relate to the 180-lb. squat. Keep up the good work, SquatQueen!
    Thanks so much. I checked out your log, which was instructive and fun to read. I think you may have my kind of sense of humor... Regarding the squat, my forte appears to be squat and deadlift. Upper body has been a struggle. Like you, I had shoulder issues. Oh, I also had the lumbar injury. We're practically twins, except you are tall and I am short. And I'm older than you. And maybe a little fatter. The story of my life.

Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast